• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Haiku+Photo = Hai-oto?

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
As a theme for my 52 challenge this year, I planned to post an original haiku on a photo or collage each week. Shortly after that, other haiku began cropping up, so it was suggested that I start a thread and invite all Mobitoggers to express themselves in a pho-ku or hai-oto or whatever you call this sort of creation.

Most are aware of the 5-7-5 guide for Haiku. That refers to a line of 5 syllables, followed by a line with 7 syllables, ending with another 5 syllables. Thus a haiku is born. The Haiku police don’t live here, so if yours has 5-8-6, no one will care. Have fun and get in touch with your inner poet.

To help you create your own, here are some helpful links:

From Wikipedia: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/text/haiku-poetic-form

William Higginson has some suggested, helpful “rules” for haiku creating: https://www.thehaikufoundation.org/edwall/higginson_guidelines_for_writing_haiku.pdf

To generate a haiku (I had a great time with this!): https://www.poem-generator.org.uk/haiku/

And another haiku generator: http://byakkohaiku.tripod.com/ihkg.htm

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
So, I actually did two haiku+photo, but it was in 2012..... :flushed: Not sure I’m still hooked on the edit any more, but here’s one...

D80385B8-C992-48C0-8613-7C1C59434883.jpeg

Quivering fingers
of twig and leaf. Our roots dig
deeply. Home at last.

iPhone 4, BlurFx, iColorama, Filterstorm, ImageBlender, Pixlrexpress (thank you Flickr)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
This one was created especially for a couple in the mobile photography community who were getting married (Nate & Daria for any old-timers) - a book was made for them as a gift.

51DBC9AC-3F11-47F3-A80F-C2AF96D28EEA.jpeg

Hearts entwined; melting
into one another. Wings
to carry me home.

iPhone 4, apps unknown (but I know Pixlr is in the mix)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
To generate a haiku (I had a great time with this!): https://www.poem-generator.org.uk/haiku/
Haha!!!!! Here’s what I got:

414D1258-F20E-4630-9DF4-A8EBE6507B1A.jpeg

Misty rising dawn
An ethereal rose moans
watching the starfish

And they included fake reviews!! :lmao:

Auto Praise for Rose - A Haiku
"The juxtaposition of rose and starfish is truly inspired."
- The Daily Tale

"I don't like short poems. So why am I reviewing a haiku, you may wonder? Well, I liked the title - 'Rose'. It went down hill from there."
- Enid Kibbler

"Amazing how so few words can set a scene so perfectly. I close my eyes and all I can see is the misty rising dawn."
- Hit the Spoof

"I felt that I was a rose. It was spooky. I hope to read more by rosecat. Perhaps next time, something longer."
- Zob Gloop

"I've always wanted to write a haiku about a rose. I can't belive rosecat has beaten me to it."
- Betty Borison

"Misty rising dawn is a popular first line for a haiku. It's incredible how much diversity can be achieved with those final lines."
- Chris Critic, otherwise known as Cristic

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
So, I actually did two haiku+photo, but it was in 2012..... :flushed: Not sure I’m still hooked on the edit any more, but here’s one...

View attachment 111699
Quivering fingers
deeply. Home at last.

iPhone 4, BlurFx, iColorama, Filterstorm, ImageBkender, Pixlrexpress (thank you Flickr)
I love this! The tree is amazing.

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
This one was created especially for a couple in the mobile photography community who were getting married (Nate & Daria for any old-timers) - a book was made for them as a gift.

View attachment 111700
Hearts entwined; melting
into one another. Wings
to carry me home.

What a beautiful thing to do! Did others from the group contribute to the book?

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 111703
Misty rising dawn
An ethereal rose moans
watching the starfish

- The Daily Tale

"I don't like short poems. So why am I reviewing a haiku, you may wonder? Well, I liked the title - 'Rose'. It went down hill from there."
- Enid Kibbler

"Amazing how so few words can set a scene so perfectly. I close my eyes and all I can see is the misty rising dawn."
- Hit the Spoof

"I felt that I was a rose. It was spooky. I hope to read more by rosecat. Perhaps next time, something longer."
- Zob Gloop

"I've always wanted to write a haiku about a rose. I can't belive rosecat has beaten me to it."
- Betty Borison

"Misty rising dawn is a popular first line for a haiku. It's incredible how much diversity can be achieved with those final lines."
I guess I didn’t scroll down far enough for the reviews. I’m working on a iMage for one of the ones I generated. It has to do with cats, trees and taxes. I may need to edit it slightly.

rizole

IOTM Winner - June 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung

View attachment 111703
Misty rising dawn
An ethereal rose moans
watching the starfish

- The Daily Tale

- Enid Kibbler

- Hit the Spoof

- Zob Gloop

- Betty Borison

Those reviews are rubbish.
Clearly the pivotal word in there is moans. Changes the whole thing and adds a large oddness to the starfish.

Bad fake reviews. :mobibabe:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

View attachment 111699
Quivering fingers
deeply. Home at last.

iPhone 4, BlurFx, iColorama, Filterstorm, ImageBkender, Pixlrexpress (thank you Flickr)

View attachment 111700
Hearts entwined; melting
into one another. Wings
to carry me home.

I love both of these — and in awe of your haiku talent ! :notworthy: :notworthy:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 111699
Quivering fingers
deeply. Home at last.

View attachment 111700
Hearts entwined; melting
into one another. Wings
to carry me home.

These are just lovely!

I'm afraid poetry is not my thing. I went through a philosophical stage in my twenties when it was but then reality set in :lol:.

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
These are just lovely!

I'm afraid poetry is not my thing. I went through a philosophical stage in my twenties when it was but then reality set in :lol:.
Poetry does not come easily to me, either. And philosophical, I am not. I just go ahead and write anyway. :confused::)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
These are just lovely!

:lol: :thumbs:
Thanks Ann! xo

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
1935A812-7501-4050-8390-52120E92A61B.jpeg

Starzee ’s haiku generator hacked a bit (because I can’t leave well enough alone) & SnapSeed. Image a fragment of something. I thought masking the image into a circle might drive home the message - make the whole piece more poetic, more profound, more universally applicable. I await (trembling) rizole ’s razor-sharp critique.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
View attachment 111715

Starzee ’s haiku generator hacked a bit (because I can’t leave well enough alone) & SnapSeed. Image a fragment of something. I thought masking the image into a circle might drive home the message - make the whole piece more poetic, more profound, more universally applicable. I await (trembling) rizole ’s razor-sharp critique.
Wowow. Love this! :inlove::notworthy: