• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Halide - recommended?

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
IPhone XR
Finally getting round to upgrading my iPhone to an XR and have read that the Halide app helps improve the phone's limited Portrait mode (compared to XS). Before I shell out cold, hard cash for it I'd value MobiToggers' thoughts about Halide and if it's any better than the other high-end camera apps out there (I already have Camera+, ProCamera, etc.). Over to you. :)

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I've got all those camera apps and more. :D In general, Halide's a good app but I don't find it to be noticeably better than ProCamera, Camera+, Chromatica, etc. Their interfaces differ somewhat, so one might be a better fit than another (although I still haven't settled on one myself).

One thing that might make a difference is Halide's "smart raw" -- google "halide smart raw" to find out what they say it does. I haven't wrung it out enough to be confident that it's a difference that makes a difference, if you know what I mean. The Halide devs feel that the iPhone Xs (and so I imagine the iPhone Xr) shoot raw images that are overexposed. I believe that what their "smart raw" does is shoot two raw images, adjusting exposure for the second one. (I wouldn't swear to this in a court of law, but it's explained at length in the Halide blog.) Because of that, I had an odd experience shooting "smart raw" with Halide on my iPhone 7: I took a picture of an egret landing on the water, and the jpg preview showed the egret in a different position than the raw image (due to the time delay, I assume).

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
A little further reading about "smart raw" on my part:

Apparently, it's only in effect when you're shooting raw in auto-exposure mode.

And here are some links to the Halide blog entries about the Xs/Xr camera and about smart raw:

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
IPhone XR
Adding to the list of apps that help with the Portrait mode I've just discovered Focos. It's free to download but pricey to buy or you can subscribe, but at least they give you the option - unlike too many other apps these days.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Adding to the list of apps that help with the Portrait mode I've just discovered Focos. It's free to download but pricey to buy or you can subscribe, but at least they give you the option - unlike too many other apps these days.
I don't do a lot of Portrait mode, but I like Focos -- worth the money for me. The other app I like is Apollo for playing with lighting in Portrait mode images after the shot.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I don't do a lot of Portrait mode, but I like Focos -- worth the money for me. The other app I like is Apollo for playing with lighting in Portrait mode images after the shot.
I like Apollo too as well as Darkroom which links directly from Halide. I use the Halide portrait mode when the native camera tells me I am too near or too far but I can’t say I have experimented enough with it to have a good opinion.