Hebridean Landscapes

I love them too. One time when I was camping, and taking a walk around the lake, I came upon one just a few feet in front of me pecking on a tree (I’d been hearing him and was hoping to see him). I ran all the way back to my tent to grab my camera, ran back... he was still there!!! :D So, OCD me is fiddling with the composition and zooming in trying to get it JUST RIGHT, and literally 1 second before I pushed the shutter button HE FLEW AWAY. o_O :mad: :eek: :poo:

This happens all too often. It’s infuriating. The classic “the one that got away” story. A long time ago, after experiencing that same problem too often, I decided on a “get the shot” method. Don’t fuss too much, just get a shot, and once that is done, with less panic, start refining the details, continuing to shoot with each refinement. It’s equally important to live the experience while you have the chance, aside from trying to get a picture. Unlike photographs, pictures in the mind just get better over time. [emoji3]
A couple of days ago I had a very rare opportunity to photograph a red fox right at the roadside. I had my window down and iPhone out in seconds and the fox stopped walking and sat down and waited. It had that expression, “ oh no, busted. My camouflage is hopeless against the snow”. Then I couldn’t get the darn camera to focus!#%* Tap, tap, focus will you! Miles out of focus. I have no idea why it wouldn’t focus. Switch camera app. That’s better. Another car from the opposite direction also stopped, about 15 feet ahead of me and the fox got up and casually crossed the road between us and went off towards the woods. My mother always told me to look both ways before crossing the road. I thought I had bungled the whole thing but I actually had many good frames. I remember thinking afterward that if I had picked up my dslr I would have just pressed the shutter. No turning it on, no launching a camera app. Just press the button, even with gloves on. It’s always on, just sleeping. I could zoom and see the auto-focus while looking through the viewfinder, etc. Of course it could just as easily have had a wide angle lens on, etc. But it was at home. [emoji847]
While all this was going on no other cars came along. Obviously a quiet country road.
IMG_2632.JPG

Not cropped. Tweaked a bit in the Photos app. And one of my favourites I used on the Time Stamp 110 banner.

This happens all too often. It’s infuriating. The classic “the one that got away” story. A long time ago, after experiencing that same problem too often, I decided on a “get the shot” method. Don’t fuss too much, just get a shot, and once that is done, with less panic, start refining the details, continuing to shoot with each refinement. It’s equally important to live the experience while you have the chance, aside from trying to get a picture. Unlike photographs, pictures in the mind just get better over time. [emoji3]
A couple of days ago I had a very rare opportunity to photograph a red fox right at the roadside. I had my window down and iPhone out in seconds and the fox stopped walking and sat down and waited. It had that expression, “ oh no, busted. My camouflage is hopeless against the snow”. Then I couldn’t get the darn camera to focus!#%* Tap, tap, focus will you! Miles out of focus. I have no idea why it wouldn’t focus. Switch camera app. That’s better. Another car from the opposite direction also stopped, about 15 feet ahead of me and the fox got up and casually crossed the road between us and went off towards the woods. My mother always told me to look both ways before crossing the road. I thought I had bungled the whole thing but I actually had many good frames. I remember thinking afterward that if I had picked up my dslr I would have just pressed the shutter. No turning it on, no launching a camera app. Just press the button, even with gloves on. It’s always on, just sleeping. I could zoom and see the auto-focus while looking through the viewfinder, etc. Of course it could just as easily have had a wide angle lens on, etc. But it was at home. [emoji847]
While all this was going on no other cars came along. Obviously a quiet country road.
View attachment 103514
Not cropped. Tweaked a bit in the Photos app. And one of my favourites I used on the Time Stamp 110 banner.
Great shot!!

Don’t fuss too much, just get a shot, and once that is done, with less panic, start refining the details, continuing to shoot with each refinement. It’s equally important to live the experience while you have the chance, aside from trying to get a picture.
Yep! Every since my woodpecker experience I try to do just that.

A couple of days ago I had a very rare opportunity to photograph a red fox right at the roadside. I had my window down and iPhone out in seconds and the fox stopped walking and sat down and waited. It had that expression, “ oh no, busted. My camouflage is hopeless against the snow”.
Oh wow, how awesome! He is beautiful. :inlove:

View attachment 103514
Wonderful. Might it not be the fur. Tom and I have endless problems taking pictures of monkeys on automatic.

Wonderful. Might it not be the fur. Tom and I have endless problems taking pictures of monkeys on automatic.

An interesting thought, but it should have focused on the grasses or the snowbank. It was miles off. The next app was OK. Must have been some sort of start-up glitch. I sometimes have the problem with PureShot that it just won’t shoot when you tap the shutter. Quit the app and relaunch it and everything is fine.

This happens all too often. It’s infuriating. The classic “the one that got away” story. A long time ago, after experiencing that same problem too often, I decided on a “get the shot” method. Don’t fuss too much, just get a shot, and once that is done, with less panic, start refining the details, continuing to shoot with each refinement.
Yup this is exactly what i do now when i'm doing bird photography, especially if it's something more unusual - start with a record shot and go from there.

Your fox pic is pretty darned good with a phone! :)

Will have to keep this in mind if any monkeys present themselves :)

An interesting thought, but it should have focused on the grasses or the snowbank. It was miles off. The next app was OK. Must have been some sort of start-up glitch. I sometimes have the problem with PureShot that it just won’t shoot when you tap the shutter. Quit the app and relaunch it and everything is fine.

Yes, might have been the grass but it certainly sounds annoying, great that you managed to get sorted in the end though!

A cold, calm morning, perfect for a walk at North Locheynort. 18 seals were hauled out on the rocks (too far away to photograph with my phone) and had a flyby of a sea eagle. Image is of the sea loch, tide halfway out.

image.jpeg

Camera app: 645 PRO, processed in DistressedFX and iColorama

Through the wooded area that borders the sea loch at North Locheynort. In the spring there is a heronry in the tops of these trees. We're a bit tree deficient here on the islands the crofter who owns this area has planted hundreds of trees over the years and has put in over 5km of paths for people to wander about and enjoy the scenery.

image.jpeg

645 PRO, DistressedFX, iColorama, Lensflare

From Harris i drove up to Lewis but had to stop at a viewpoint to take a photo of the view - one of my favourite in the world. Looking across to Luskentyre, beautiful even on a miserable wet winter day. I won't have much internet where i'm staying with friends, just during the evening and it's pretty rubbish - drops out and is slow as a slug...

View attachment 102858

I ran it through DistressedFX and iColourama but the water really is that colour and that crystal clear!
The sheep in the foreground makes it for me.

A cold, calm morning, perfect for a walk at North Locheynort. 18 seals were hauled out on the rocks (too far away to photograph with my phone) and had a flyby of a sea eagle. Image is of the sea loch, tide halfway out.

View attachment 103528
Oh my gosh, how stunningly beautiful is that!

View attachment 103528
This almost doesn’t look real! Oh wow....so beautiful. :inlove:

Through the wooded area that borders the sea loch at North Locheynort. In the spring there is a heronry in the tops of these trees. We're a bit tree deficient here on the islands the crofter who owns this area has planted hundreds of trees over the years and has put in over 5km of paths for people to wander about and enjoy the scenery.

View attachment 103529
Utter magic.... :inlove:

View attachment 103514

He’s (she’s?) beautiful!

View attachment 103528

View attachment 103529
Beautiful!

Isle of Lewis, Monday morning, camped out overnight and it was literally freezing! My tent was frozen and so were my feet but the amazing morning made up for it.

View attachment 109150
A little mist drifting along the loch, sun just about to rise.

View attachment 109151
My wee tent in the frost.
Just beautiful. That view with the sun warming the tops of the hills and the mist is wonderful.

Isle of Lewis, Monday morning, camped out overnight and it was literally freezing! My tent was frozen and so were my feet but the amazing morning made up for it.

View attachment 109150
A little mist drifting along the loch, sun just about to rise.

View attachment 109151
My wee tent in the frost.
Wow, you are brave. I hate being cold... but what beauty to wake up to! :inlove:

Back
Top Bottom