Hebridean Landscapes

My reason for trying to do things while i still can ... I’ve had my share of health issues over the years but happily my knees behave when i use my hiking piles
I presume you mean hiking poles? Ah yes, that makes a massive difference - I must start using mine again.. My DH used one for the first time in Namibia and realised how useful they are. I started Nordic walking in Hong Kong and loved it but the leader was reckless and as I had recently had my knee op I decided not to continue. That reminds me I must look around for a group!

I presume you mean hiking poles? Ah yes, that makes a massive difference - I must start using mine again.. My DH used one for the first time in Namibia and realised how useful they are. I started Nordic walking in Hong Kong and loved it but the leader was reckless and as I had recently had my knee op I decided not to continue. That reminds me I must look around for a group!

I’m glad you cleared that up, I was about to ask what hiking piles are. My one knee is a wreck. Are they poles like the cross country ski type I see?

I see people with them all the time, and know what they're for, but have been skeptical that they are useful (I like having my hands free).... maybe I should try them out sometime.

:lmao: Yes, poles not piles - i blame bad eyesight and typing on my phone... I use Pacer Poles they are brilliant i don’t think i could walk distances, especially when loaded up with a rucksack without them.

:lmao: Yes, poles not piles - i blame bad eyesight and typing on my phone... I use Pacer Poles they are brilliant i don’t think i could walk distances, especially when loaded up with a rucksack without them.
Interesting! I checked out the website. I have to say I love my Nordic walking poles but I started off with one of the cheaper pairs of Leki which don't collapse so I never take them on holiday which I would really like to do. I'm interested in these poles - Heather's action looks very similar to the action I use - but I would want to try them first. I read a deep discussion and some people feel the special handle reduces the fatigue a little and therefore let's you walk for longer. Some people of course reject this. What model of the poles do you have?

I see people with them all the time, and know what they're for, but have been skeptical that they are useful (I like having my hands free).... maybe I should try them out sometime.
Definitely! But I am not sure a lot of people use them to take some of the load off walking - they use them just for stability. I found them particularly useful when I learnt to Nordic walk where you use the pole for leverage. I found myself breezing up hillls and if you use them properly on downhills it REALLY saves your knees and gives you a lot more stability. One thing I like about the Nordic poles (rather then the ones Yvonne has mentioned) is that the use of straps is key to the action and this means I can easily haul out my camera because the pole dangles from the strap. Also the straps on mine can be ‘unclicked’ from the poles easily. I also wanted to Nordic walk because it exercises your arms and mine have become so weak!

Yvonne’s Pacer Poles have a special ergonomic grip which apparently help to distribute the ‘work’ of walking even more than using straps although not everybody likes them reading commentary. Maybe a bit like Android vs iPhone :lol:.

The only problem I find is that if you are walking with somebody else who doesn’t have poles you can’t get into a rhythm and really get going and this has stopped me using them as much as I would like. I would leave them in the dust :). When I am strolling with others I don’t tend to use them properly except for downhills. I think they are for serious walking and you can cover ground much quicker. What do you think, Yvonne? I’m really a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom