Hello!

SargonZ

MobiStarter
Real Name
Sara Gonzalez
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
I'm new to the forum, took an iPhone photography course online this fall/winter and felt inspired to join a community where I can further hone my skills, get feedback, etc. I'm a busy healthcare worker, mother of two young kids, spouse, dog owner, small business owner... the list of hats I wear goes on and on! I mostly enjoy capturing details of the great outdoors though aspire to improve upon my portraits and action shots of my small moving subjects (see also: young kids and dog!) and really enjoy dabbling in macro photography.

I'm new to the forum, took an iPhone photography course online this fall/winter and felt inspired to join a community where I can further hone my skills, get feedback, etc. I'm a busy healthcare worker, mother of two young kids, spouse, dog owner, small business owner... the list of hats I wear goes on and on! I mostly enjoy capturing details of the great outdoors though aspire to improve upon my portraits and action shots of my small moving subjects (see also: young kids and dog!) and really enjoy dabbling in macro photography.
Hello and welcome to Mobitog!!! This is definitely the place to learn, be inspired and grow as a photographer although you’ll find more than only straight on photography here. We’’re a diverse group. We love seeing images and if there’s a kid or pet, even better. Please have a look around, ask questions and make yourself at home. Join in conversations, My favorite way to start is (on the bar on top) What‘s New>New Posts. That way I can run through what everyone has posted in a day.

Welcome, and I see you already found the B/W challenge with a nice shot. One good way to pick up new skills here is to ask "How'd you do that?" when you see something you like. Jump in where you like and if you run into hitches, just ask.

Thanks to you both! I do like the challenges - helps me overcome the inertia that often stands between me and my unedited images! Seems like a nice community, just what the doctor ordered! Is there a way to solicit feedback on photos? Perhaps a part of the forum I’ve yet to explore…

Thanks to you both! I do like the challenges - helps me overcome the inertia that often stands between me and my unedited images! Seems like a nice community, just what the doctor ordered! Is there a way to solicit feedback on photos? Perhaps a part of the forum I’ve yet to explore…
We don’t have a specific area for that (that I”m aware of) but you could set up your own thread for comparing edits. For example sdimbour Sandra’s 365 thread includes a color and black and white edit of each image. Another way to solicit feedback is ask. Not everyone in this forum reads every post, but most do and are pretty willing to put out an opinion and even suggestions.

Hello, Sara - welcome! As Ted and Star have already said, please do make yourself at home, join in wherever you feel to and ask if you have a question. Most times someone will get back to you fairly quickly. If you need admin help there’s a ‘report’ option bottom left of your message box that will alert a staff member.

Like Ted, I enjoyed your first image in the BW thread - look forward to seeing more :)

Is there a way to solicit feedback on photos?
As Star said, there's no specific place for getting feedback, so you need to ask when you post. It'll probably help spark replies if you say a bit about what you're looking for. Is there something in a particular image you're not sure about, or is there part of the image that's bugging you but you can't tell why? Or are you maybe looking for other possible directions to develop the particular image? Or are there two images you have, and one seems to you to work and the other not, but you're not sure why? And so on.

The feedback I find most valuable for my own images is when people say what caught their eye in an image or -- really useful -- when they can replay their reactions to an image: what their eyes were drawn to, how they moved around the image, what they may have gotten stuck on, what was a distraction, and so on. It's a lot of work to give that kind of feedback, so I'm always grateful when someone takes the time to do it.

On the other hand, I don't find it so useful when people tell me what they think is wrong with an image and how to "correct" it, because if I follow that route, I end up trying to make the image they would have made, not the one I wanted to make.

It's the difference, I think, between someone saying "Get rid of that branch poking in on the left" and saying "My eye kept jumping to that branch on the left."

One of the things I found to be eye-opening after some time hanging around here is watching the B/W and MobiColour challenges and the selections the different judges make each time. It really brought home to me that different people will see different things in the same image, all conditioned by who they are, what they're interested in doing themselves at the moment, and what context they're viewing the image in. (Note: I'm enthusiastically unprofessional :D so things that may be important for a pro may not matter much to me.)

As Star said, there's no specific place for getting feedback, so you need to ask when you post. It'll probably help spark replies if you say a bit about what you're looking for. Is there something in a particular image you're not sure about, or is there part of the image that's bugging you but you can't tell why? Or are you maybe looking for other possible directions to develop the particular image? Or are there two images you have, and one seems to you to work and the other not, but you're not sure why? And so on.

The feedback I find most valuable for my own images is when people say what caught their eye in an image or -- really useful -- when they can replay their reactions to an image: what their eyes were drawn to, how they moved around the image, what they may have gotten stuck on, what was a distraction, and so on. It's a lot of work to give that kind of feedback, so I'm always grateful when someone takes the time to do it.

On the other hand, I don't find it so useful when people tell me what they think is wrong with an image and how to "correct" it, because if I follow that route, I end up trying to make the image they would have made, not the one I wanted to make.

It's the difference, I think, between someone saying "Get rid of that branch poking in on the left" and saying "My eye kept jumping to that branch on the left."

One of the things I found to be eye-opening after some time hanging around here is watching the B/W and MobiColour challenges and the selections the different judges make each time. It really brought home to me that different people will see different things in the same image, all conditioned by who they are, what they're interested in doing themselves at the moment, and what context they're viewing the image in. (Note: I'm enthusiastically unprofessional :D so things that may be important for a pro may not matter much to me.)
Enthusiastically unprofessional- I love that! Well thanks again for the warm welcome and the advice on soliciting feedback. See, I’m learning already!

Welcome to MobiTog Sara! Hopefully this info will be helpful, but if you still have any questions be sure to give us a shout - our MobiCommunity are a super friendly and helpful bunch of mobile photography addicts enthusiasts!!
:D

At the bottom right on any page you'll see “Help” - click on that and it will bring you to our detailed help section. You can also click this link: Help

Visit our "How Do I..." forum, where you'll find all sorts of tips and tricks to help you find your way around more easily: How Do I...

Important note: Please remember that only images originated on a mobile device (iOS or Android) can be posted to this community. No pictures created on a DSLR or compact camera are allowed.

FUN STUFF!!
We have lots of great challenges to help hone your skills and have loads of fun doing it, like Starzee Star's Black & White Challenge, and for the color-minded we have MobiColor, zenjenny Jen’s outside-the-box APPstract Challenge, and lots more. Check them out in our Challenges, Projects, 365s & 52s forum!!

We also have some wonderful on-going Community "drop-ins", like Sign Spotting, Shadow Selfies, Found Faces, MobiTattoos
;)
, Our Grandchildren, Our Pets, and The MobiCafe.

Lastly, if you have any questions on anything at all be sure to give us a shout out!

I would put this is in all caps! I have a tough time dealing with those who say “Do this” for that very reason….It becomes their work not mine.

Back
Top Bottom