Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
Onsite
Project Page
I’m not using iCloud myself for photos but I’m trying to help someone else get the full sized photo from their iPhone. All they have is a 307 x 205 px image.
As I understand it, when using iCloud for photos the full resolution images are stored in the cloud and only low resolution images are left in your camera roll. How do you get the full resolution images back to your iPhone? Just go to edit mode? Then how can she export the full sized image before it is sent back to iCloud?

In iCloud settings you can decide whether or not to optimize photo storage on your iPhone. “Yes” gives you the “small” size you get when emailing photos. About 40k each.

I’m not using iCloud myself for photos but I’m trying to help someone else get the full sized photo from their iPhone. All they have is a 307 x 205 px image.
As I understand it, when using iCloud for photos the full resolution images are stored in the cloud and only low resolution images are left in your camera roll. How do you get the full resolution images back to your iPhone? Just go to edit mode? Then how can she export the full sized image before it is sent back to iCloud?
Okay, so when you edit a photo it is filed at full size when you click ‘Done’ and while it is still open, if you click on the little square with up-pointing arrow at top right, to send it elsewhere, it will be sent at the saved size to wherever you need to send it... :thumbs:

In iCloud settings you can decide whether or not to optimize photo storage on your iPhone. “Yes” gives you the “small” size you get when emailing photos. About 40k each.
Optimising initially does what it says on the tin and loads your new full size iMages to iCloud as they are stored... ;)

Once you close the iMage, if your device is short of memory, it will revert to iCloud for full size and optimised on your iDevice, see also below... :)

After this, as you edit you photographs, I believe they stay on your device as the full sized iMages, unless your device is short of space, in which case the iMAge is only available in full size via iCloud... :D

This is as I believe it works anyway, others may correct me if I have it all topsy... :rog:

Okay, so when you edit a photo it is filed at full size when you click ‘Done’ and while it is still open, if you click on the little square with up-pointing arrow at top right, to send it elsewhere, it will be sent at the saved size to wherever you need to send it... :thumbs:

Optimising initially does what it says on the tin and loads your new full size iMages to iCloud as they are stored... ;)

Once you close the iMage, if your device is short of memory, it will revert to iCloud for full size and optimised on your iDevice, see also below... :)

After this, as you edit you photographs, I believe they stay on your device as the full sized iMages, unless your device is short of space, in which case the iMAge is only available in full size via iCloud... :D

This is as I believe it works anyway, others may correct me if I have it all topsy... :rog:
That’s why it always takes so long to load too...

They never were successful in getting a full sized file back from iCloud. They ended up having to make a new photo for the project.
This makes me wonder how many people actually go back to their originals.

I’m back here revisiting this same topic. One again having the same problem with people who cannot get their full sized photos to send me.

It sounds as though if someone wants to get back their full resolution version of the image they need to go to edit mode, which will cause the image to be downloaded from the ominous black clouds. Then, if they perform some insignificant edit and maybe revert it they still have the full image on board but to be safe, before you close the image, share it right away before it goes back to the cloud and you once again have only the low resolution preview image.

I’m sure glad I never started using iCloud for photos.

I never got how icloud works, at least with Google Photos you can go and view what you've stored there and create albums and such.

I never got how icloud works, at least with Google Photos you can go and view what you've stored there and create albums and such.
There’s always a reason when companies will store your photos for free on their servers. Harvesting of metadata is the main one.

Back
Top Bottom