Hipstamatic 2017: Which Paks did you like enough to buy?

Which of these 2017 HipstaPaks did you purchase?

• Total voters

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
iPhone 12 Pro
As our esteemed leader, the venerable Venomator, recently reminded me a HipstaPak is released "...at least one a month, every month". This means that 2017 brought us twelve new HipstaPaks - but which ones did you actually like enough to buy?

Just for fun I thought I'd produce this poll listing all HipstaPaks released between January and December 2017. If you bought any of them please click to vote for it. Also, please comment below about how useful you found the pak and if you still actually use any of the films/lenses you purchased.

I am surprised by how many I did buy, more then I thought I did, though when the RetroPaks were on I did get #11 which has some of these but then for $0.99US I can't complain. Only two are missing off the list Capetown and Agra.

Can’t really say if I have any favourites from the list. I find I much prefer some of the older paks then anything newer...

I’m very late into using Hipstamatic, now I can’t get enough of it. I tend to not use the pak as a”pak” but choose the individual lenses and films that suit my style. Love the Jane lens and the dream film.
Thanks, Dave. I think that's an important part of the appeal of Hipstamatic, to mix & match various elements with each other. There are just so many these days that the possible combinations must almost be infinite!

I bought a few but maybe only 2 or 3 were the new monthly ones. I also took advantage of the specials on the retro packs. I have accumulated tons of combos over time. There’s enough of them that I can’t remember what they do, or look like, and the names are meaningless. It takes too long to figure out which pack I want to use in a given situation. If I go by the little image previews I am usually disappointed because each pack will work well in a particular circumstance, but if the conditions don’t match then you can expect something disappointing. Sometimes I try the shuffle feature. I usually get something like green snow. Yuck! Recently something came up I liked quite well so I went to investigate. Turns out it was a combo I made myself featuring, wait for it, no lens and no film!
The thing that would make the biggest difference to me would be getting the live image preview working again. Hipstamatic must have the biggest selection of presets but gets clobbered by the numerous other apps just because they have good live preview.
When working with a preset it makes all the difference if you can see how it will look so I can work with it interactively with the scene. Especially if there are localized effects like gradients, or light leaks that you might not want directly over someone’s face, or maybe you would.
My success rate with Hipstamatic is so low it makes me wonder why I keep it around. Except, sometimes I see something someone else did that I really like, and that gives me some hope. I would need to use it a whole lot more to get the hang of it.

I bought a few but maybe only 2 or 3 were the new monthly ones. I also took advantage of the specials on the retro packs. I have accumulated tons of combos over time. There’s enough of them that I can’t remember what they do, or look like, and the names are meaningless. It takes too long to figure out which pack I want to use in a given situation. If I go by the little image previews I am usually disappointed because each pack will work well in a particular circumstance, but if the conditions don’t match then you can expect something disappointing. Sometimes I try the shuffle feature. I usually get something like green snow. Yuck! Recently something came up I liked quite well so I went to investigate. Turns out it was a combo I made myself featuring, wait for it, no lens and no film!
The thing that would make the biggest difference to me would be getting the live image preview working again. Hipstamatic must have the biggest selection of presets but gets clobbered by the numerous other apps just because they have good live preview.
When working with a preset it makes all the difference if you can see how it will look so I can work with it interactively with the scene. Especially if there are localized effects like gradients, or light leaks that you might not want directly over someone’s face, or maybe you would.
My success rate with Hipstamatic is so low it makes me wonder why I keep it around. Except, sometimes I see something someone else did that I really like, and that gives me some hope. I would need to use it a whole lot more to get the hang of it.
For all of these reasons, I never use hipstamatic to take the picture,instead I use it to edit. Like Brian said there is an amazing number of presets to use. Try editing the photo in Mextures first with all their textures then use the film/lens preset n Hipstamatic. I get some unusual effects to my landscape photos.

For all of these reasons, I never use hipstamatic to take the picture,instead I use it to edit. Like Brian said there is an amazing number of presets to use. Try editing the photo in Mextures first with all their textures then use the film/lens preset n Hipstamatic. I get some unusual effects to my landscape photos.
I like doing that with Stackables and a couple of other apps too. I agree with Brian though, it is totally overwhelming. I now title my combinations for different situations: Tiltshift, sunset, people, etc. sometimes I get something awesome, sometimes green snow... ;)

452FFE4D-74AB-43A6-9207-1622554FD41D.png
The app now has a preview feature in the editing mode. Click on the lens, film or flash icon. Then on the search icon, then you can quickly see the effect produced by your various components. I love this enhancement.

OK. Just for fun I did a closer check and was shocked to discover I had bought all but 3 of them. No Agra(vation) , no CapeTown, no Venice, but all the rest! I’m sure there’s some I’ve never tried yet.
That’s because these ones aren’t in a Pak yet and why most people don’t have them.

View attachment 106334 The app now has a preview feature in the editing mode. Click on the lens, film or flash icon. Then on the search icon, then you can quickly see the effect produced by your various components. I love this enhancement.
I tried everything and I couldn’t get to a screen that looks like this. Help.

Back
Top Bottom