Hipstamatic and storage

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
Hi all,

I've searched the internet and can't seem to find any answers to this issue - that Hipstamatic eats up storage, and there seems to be no way of fixing that. Clearing caches does not work as it did before. It seems that people have complained about this to Hipstamatic but there has been no response yet.

Anyone know anything more about this?... It seems to happen more quickly if I choose to edit, as opposed to shooting only in classic mode as I did before.

A real discouragement to using the edit features in this app. Still. :/

Commenting so I can hear the answer (if anyone has it). This has been annoying me for a while. It's a huuuuuge space hog!

Sorry I'm not of help! :(

Good question... :thumbs:

There were some questions asked about Hipsta's memory munching aptitude previously, with just one I could readily find > HERE ... :eek:

Another thing to try, which will free up some memory, is to clear your Hipsta App (and Oggl if you have it!) cache... ;)

Otherwise, here's hoping our resident Hipstamatic 'spert Eric Rozen will pop along and educate us on this one... :D

Last edited:
Hipstamatic doesn't store images in app anymore ... so that can't be the issue ... it's using 1.8 GB on my iPhone ... I guess it's the packs

... on a side note that's the "cool thing" on iOS, you can't just look into a folder and tell what's in it.

I think it's more than just the packs, though. I've deleted, reinstalled and restored all my packs, which does reduce the storage size a good bit...briefly, anyway. Then it starts sucking up space again.

Also, I just reset the cache and the storage amount went *UP* 2MB. o_O :mad: :confused:

In system settings there are options for what it keeps when you edit images. Obviously if you have non destructive edits on its going to always keep a copy of the image.
Mine shows it using 1.4gig and I know there are some photos kept in the app. I think there were around 4-500 in the app before ver 300 and I have not removed them.

Edit, I was wrong Hipstamatic says it got 939 images in the app, guess I should back everything up and start deleting :)

Good question... :thumbs:

There were some questions asked about Hipsta's memory munching aptitude previously, with just one I could readily find > HERE ... :eek:

Another thing to try, which will free up some memory, is to clear your Hipsta App (and Oggl if you have it!) cache... ;)

Otherwise, here's hoping our resident Hipstamatic 'spert Eric Rozen will pop along and educate us on this one... :D

Have used the clear cache slider and it just really doesn't do anything - it used to work fine for Oggl (which I no longer use), and I never had a problem with it in the old version of Hipstamatic. I don't save my images on my phone - I always transfer them to my Mac & storage devices, and I only use the classic kind of shooting - i.e. only the Hipstamatic image is kept, not the "regular" one.

I'll try and get to the discussion you mention (right now things seem to be slow in terms of linking to it), and thank you for asking Eric and tagging him. In terms of asking Hipstamatic about it again, I just wanted to find out if anyone got any responses about this issue here first - from what I can tell, they have not responded at all to this issue on their own forums.

I'm loathe to delete and reinstall everything because it's such a pain, and if I have to do that (again) my frustration with this app is going to go down a "use rarely" road. I know that Hipstamatic is often slow to fix issues. STILL. :/

I don't recall having trouble with the number of pics with the classic version, and I had practically everything. It's almost as if they ironed out the trouble with Oggl through cache cleaning, but with the regular Hipstamatic they have not.

UGH.

:eek: Erp. :barf: Guess that shows I don't use it much any more..... :whistle:
RoseCat - you're not using it much anymore? Wow... that says a lot about the problems with the latest iteration of Hipstamatic... You were such a fan before (as I recall)...

RoseCat - you're not using it much anymore? Wow... that says a lot about the problems with the latest iteration of Hipstamatic... You were such a fan before (as I recall)...
Hey! Good to see you back! :sneaky:

There are still some combos I love, but I haven't purchased the last 10 or so paks....I feel like they've lost their creative edge somewhere, and are just "robotically" sending paks out.

I've been shooting with the native camera app on my 5S, and editing with VSCO and/or Snapseed. I do love that you can import images into Hipsta now, and that you can choose to not use the frames (I'm so over them) but keep forgetting to use it. Outta sight, outta mind I guess.

There are still some combos I love, but I haven't purchased the last 10 or so paks....I feel like they've lost their creative edge somewhere, and are just "robotically" sending paks out.

I've been shooting with the native camera app on my 5S, and editing with VSCO and/or Snapseed. I do love that you can import images into Hipsta now, and that you can choose to not use the frames (I'm so over them) but keep forgetting to use it. Outta sight, outta mind I guess.

You are right about their direction. Too bad they haven't gotten the space issue taken care of at least. Two strikes... :(

RoseCat, do you think that the whole filter thing is a bit overwhelming with many apps? I love VSCO but find they have a LOT of choices too and so my eyes kind of get crossed when using it. Unlike with Hipstamatic, where I'd often avoid choices because of the huge array of filters (with the exception of VERY few favorite lens/film combinations) by using the random function, VSCO doesn't have a random option (last I checked), nor a live filter option. I do a lot of street photography these days, actually almost every day, and find if I don't shoot JUST with native camera and forget about filtering, I use black and white filters, or experiment with KitCamera which has some strange options, and a few other very specified apps. With the exception of photo collage where I do play a bit to get a certain feeling and purpose, I really only like to shoot "in camera," filter or no filter, with no post-processing at all. Everything else where I have to deal with applying filters after I shoot becomes way too burdensome these days. And whenever I see a new app come out with "great new filters," I groan with exhaustion...

(oh and btw, I just deleted Hipstamatic and am in the process of restoring everything - from now on, just classic on random most of the time, and forget everything else, I just can't deal!)

RoseCat, do you think that the whole filter thing is a bit overwhelming with many apps? I love VSCO but find they have a LOT of choices too and so my eyes kind of get crossed when using it. Unlike with Hipstamatic, where I'd often avoid choices because of the huge array of filters (with the exception of VERY few favorite lens/film combinations) by using the random function, VSCO doesn't have a random option (last I checked), nor a live filter option. I do a lot of street photography these days, actually almost every day, and find if I don't shoot JUST with native camera and forget about filtering, I use black and white filters, or experiment with KitCamera which has some strange options, and a few other very specified apps. With the exception of photo collage where I do play a bit to get a certain feeling and purpose, I really only like to shoot "in camera," filter or no filter, with no post-processing at all. Everything else where I have to deal with applying filters after I shoot becomes way too burdensome these days. And whenever I see a new app come out with "great new filters," I groan with exhaustion...

(oh and btw, I just deleted Hipstamatic and am in the process of restoring everything - from now on, just classic on random most of the time, and forget everything else, I just can't deal!)
Yes, too many options can be overwhelming. Like restaurant menus with pages and pages of choices... :barf:

A good tip re VSCO is you can order the filters, so you could put your favorites first where they're easily accessible.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1456031020.247274.jpg

Tap that dotted circle on the bottom right, then Preferences, then Preset Order.

Yes, too many options can be overwhelming. Like restaurant menus with pages and pages of choices... :barf:

A good tip re VSCO is you can order the filters, so you could put your favorites first where they're easily accessible.

View attachment 73985

Tap that dotted circle on the bottom right, then Preferences, then Preset Order.
I did not know this!!! Thank you for sharing!:inlove:

Me and my OCD tendencies: I need to keep them in order by alphabet/number/color... I tried putting favorites in the beginning but it "bugged me". o_O :whistle: :feet: :coffee:
It's a brilliant idea because I hate scrolling through all the filters to find the one that is, almost always, at the end of the line. Plus, I'm always in a hurry so I scroll really fast and the darn thing can make you kinda dizzy when you scroll at top speed!!:D :lmao: :D

View attachment 73985

Hey that's great - but there are no associated images with the filters as there are in Hipstamatic, it's all.... CODE NUMBERS! Noooooo! :( I honestly think that VSCO could use a redesign of their filter organization, while we're on the subject of too cumbersome to use...

Though, I do think VSCO filters are nice, but in all honesty I can often tell when one has been used - they have this sort of, professional, commercial look - which means that they're very usable in those circles, unmodified. Which is why I often recognize their "look," because many people use them simply that way, accompanied with the kinds of subjects and composition styles which certain kinds of pros use frequently in the media. At least they're nice ones, but applying them like that doesn't work with my particular style and intent, and editing in the actual program is, as I mentioned, overwhelming and not really intuitive... I keep up on them but there are many other filters and interfaces which make me happier.

I can only real with a tool that doesn't get in my way at this point, technically and creatively. It seems like the simplest ones work best for me, and allow me to keep my flow of ideas going or I can't get anything I want to get done. It's like riding a bike where you have to push down hard on the pedals to move it versus one which moves you so smoothly you forget that you're riding it - it takes you where you want to go with little effort.

Hipstamatic was such a tool long ago, it just did its thing. ....

Just a brief update, to reassure you we are not resting on our laurels... :eek:

I have spoken with Eric Rozen again but he has still not heard back from Hipstamatic about the storage issues... :rog:

He has promised to chase them up and will update us as soon as he hears anything from them... :thumbs:

Eric is as perplexed as the rest of us about this anomaly... :D

hmm... could it be that the issue occurs on older devices only ? ... The Hipstamatic team insisted that v300 was optimized for 6 and 6s when they released it.

Here on a 6s the app storage never exceeds a basic amount of 1.8GB ... meaning that when it's more than that by a few hundred MB, resetting the cache sets the app back to 1.8.

That's with almost all packs downloaded and using the app almost everyday currently.

off topic: I emailed them (again) to request a fully compatible iPad app (not just scaled). I mean this is ridiculous, with 300 Hipstamatic has become a cool editor, and I never shoot with it.

I emailed them (again) to request a fully compatible iPad app (not just scaled). I mean this is ridiculous, with 300 Hipstamatic has become a cool editor, and I never shoot with it.
Very good point! It has most definitely changed categories from "Camera App" to "Editing App", so it should be fully compatible with the iPad at this stage of the game. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom