• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

RESULT Hipstamatic Magic Challenge #7

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The two combos don’t look that different in this largely B&W scene.
186D381C-9192-4C92-B5A3-5274035651C8.jpeg

John S + US1776.

9B343648-B799-4D21-A359-E969A01ED57F.jpeg

The Anne-Marie + Love 81 combo makes the snow a bit green and since this picture didn’t have and reds it didn’t get any emphasis there.
Yes, that’s the side of my house. Not this winter but if I hadn’t been clearing the deck every snowfall there would be at least that much snow this year, too.

Edit: neither of these photos come anywhere close to as nice as the original unedited photo I started with.

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
0DE6A2F6-FC5F-4047-B19B-B7CE94C22692.jpeg

As expected the Anne-Marie + Love 81 film really boosted the warm tones, I guess orange mostly, so this needed a lot of reduction with the vibrancy control to fix. An odd thing I noticed with the vibrancy control, when you go to -1 there is no dectable change, but at -2 the change is enormous.

When it comes to simulating a retro effect this red/orange boost is totally off-base. The red colour layer always fades first so old pictures are conspicuously lacking in warm tones.

E6ED7624-65E1-4120-8EB5-A1CB74D3BE11.jpeg

I wasn’t happy working on this photo with John S + US1776. It did everything I didn’t want. Boosted the contrast, blew out the highlights, Excessively darkened the darker tones. I discovered that both the grain and texture sliders contribute to burning out the highlights so they were both dialed back. The highlight / shadow sliders don’t work properly on my iPad Pro. I’m curious if others noticed this, too. The highlight slider affects the shadows just as much as the highlights. Well, it doesn’t do much for the highlights except turn the mid tone areas to mush. The shadows control affects the highlights just as much as it does the shadows. In fact both controls work just like the exposure slider. Bogus. The only way to get a good result is to dial back both film and lens to almost zero.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
The two combos don’t look that different in this largely B&W scene.
View attachment 121876
John S + US1776.

View attachment 121877
The Anne-Marie + Love 81 combo makes the snow a bit green and since this picture didn’t have and reds it didn’t get any emphasis there.
Yes, that’s the side of my house. Not this winter but if I hadn’t been clearing the deck every snowfall there would be at least that much snow this year, too.
The first one is great.... and yes, the original image doesn’t bring out the best in the Anne-Marie+Love 81 pak.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
You know when you have that aha moment? Well mine came too late.
08A71DF1-3E76-41A4-89F6-B5F14104561C.jpeg

Sort of yucky result with the highlights going green and the brown leaves turning red/orange.
EEC31A56-11F4-4093-ABCB-7F00A95393F5.jpeg

So I had imagined I would get an old fashioned looking picture by starting with some old stuff.
0A2AC564-67ED-47AA-9213-9DF41BB27D54.jpeg

Vibrancy dialed back to counteract the excessive red orange boost.

Well, duh, if this was a real old fashioned picture the truck would either be new or not manufactured yet.
My log cabin would still be in good condition. The old plow part wouldn’t be rusty.

What makes a retro look? How far back do we have to go? I made photos and B&W prints 50 years ago and they looked completely normal. I don’t think any improvements to B&W have been made since that time. The pictures were clear and sharp. No vignetting. No chemical stains, no scratches, no dirt, no light leaks.

Even with a Baby Brownie camera I have, made in 1939 of Bakelite (before plastic was invented), it made perfectly normal good quality images. In fact, I deliberately tried several even older antique cameras hoping to fine some mysterious antique look but could not find a single one that produced anything other than a completely normal photo indistinguishable from those made by modern cameras. Not a single one made out of focus or vignettes images, none had soft focused corners, none had light leaks, none made film scratches, no film emulsions were peeling off, the lenses were surprisingly good. I’m convinced this entire old fashioned look is entirely bogus.

I have some old B&W prints I made from some 4x5" glass plate negatives (before roll film was invented) that were discovered in the attic of and old house. I’m going to dig them out and take a picture to show you how good they were.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
The highlight slider affects the shadows just as much as the highlights. Well, it doesn’t do much for the highlights except turn the mid tone areas to mush. The shadows control affects the highlights just as much as it does the shadows. In fact both controls work just like the exposure slider. Bogus. The only way to get a good result is to dial back both film and lens to almost zero.
I’m not sure Hipstamatic would be the app to use to get technically perfect images. I think your B&W image looks great.... the only thing I would have done is remove the border. <shrugs> :feet:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I was just remembering that I have a box of old family photos and negatives collected by my mother. There’s an excellent quality B&W photo of my great grandmother, no chemical stains, no noticeable degradation. Just a nicely made B&W photo. A little austere.
My first photos were all B&W made about 60 years ago with my father’s old folding Kodak camera. It made very good quality images. There are some old colour photos made by my parents from about 60 years ago that look a little faded but are still good enough that a little colour enhancing can fix the fading. Mostly it is the reds that go first. There isn’t a single photo is those very old pictures that looks anything like the degraded images made by Hipstamatic.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m not sure Hipstamatic would be the app to use to get technically perfect images. I think your B&W image looks great.... the only thing I would have done is remove the border. <shrugs> :feet:
I certainly don’t expect technically perfect images from Hipstamatic. That is not the domain of Hipstamatic. I would settle for something half ways decent. The border is part of the combo.
You start with an acceptable image, put it into Hipstamatic and you cannot get the same quality to come out that you started with. Everything Hipstamatic does to it degrades it. It should be possible to create an old time look without ruining the image. Real old time images were much better quality than what Hipstamatic makes.

lkbside

MobiLurver
Real Name
Leslie
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
This is a photo I shot yesterday at the old grain elevator in Hayden, CO.
For the JohnS shot I slid John a bit left to brighten it up a bit and reduce the vignette. Plus added some clarity.
For the AnneMarie shot I just added some clarity.

50AADFD1-FFA7-4B88-9BFE-05DBACD99AFE.jpeg
E1F6BB3A-58B6-4467-8443-D45A8D96D74F.jpeg

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 121882
As expected the Anne-Marie + Love 81 film really boosted the warm tones, I guess orange mostly, so this needed a lot of reduction with the vibrancy control to fix. An odd thing I noticed with the vibrancy control, when you go to -1 there is no dectable change, but at -2 the change is enormous.

When it comes to simulating a retro effect this red/orange boost is totally off-base. The red colour layer always fades first so old pictures are conspicuously lacking in warm tones.

View attachment 121881
I wasn’t happy working on this photo with John S + US1776. It did everything I didn’t want. Boosted the contrast, blew out the highlights, Excessively darkened the darker tones. I discovered that both the grain and texture sliders contribute to burning out the highlights so they were both dialed back. The highlight / shadow sliders don’t work properly on my iPad Pro. I’m curious if others noticed this, too. The highlight slider affects the shadows just as much as the highlights. Well, it doesn’t do much for the highlights except turn the mid tone areas to mush. The shadows control affects the highlights just as much as it does the shadows. In fact both controls work just like the exposure slider. Bogus. The only way to get a good result is to dial back both film and lens to almost zero.
I often find that using one of the flashes will do the correction I want.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I was just remembering that I have a box of old family photos and negatives collected by my mother. There’s an excellent quality B&W photo of my great grandmother, no chemical stains, no noticeable degradation. Just a nicely made B&W photo. A little austere.
My first photos were all B&W made about 60 years ago with my father’s old folding Kodak camera. It made very good quality images. There are some old colour photos made by my parents from about 60 years ago that look a little faded but are still good enough that a little colour enhancing can fix the fading. Mostly it is the reds that go first. There isn’t a single photo is those very old pictures that looks anything like the degraded images made by Hipstamatic.
Actually I would use Hipstamatic to make arty photos rather than old pictures.