Hipstamatic X

For anyone who is interested the new Hipstamatic app comes with 12 'new' Signature Cameras (preset film/lens combos, not editable as far as I can see at this stage). They are: Eazy Auto, Instant, *Tintype, *Fisheye, *Pinhole, Model 100, *Disposable, *Black and White, K-Pro- X, Foodie, *Classic Toy and *Art House. Cameras marked '*' are Member Exclusives. You can also build your own camera from Hipsta's existing lens and film library, again only if you're a member of the curiously named Hipstamatic Makers Club.
View attachment 150098
I might have been excited about this when I was first entering the mobile photography scene in 2011-ish, but I just have absolutely no interest in this new “venture”, and I would never consider forking over $$$ for this. I wish them well! <shrugs>

Hi Richard. It's the same discount that mrmachine was talking about. It's for the lifetime subscription and I have it for 33€ if I do it this week only.
Thanks, Davide. How do you get this discount? Can't see anything in the app about it. When I try to purchase the Lifetime Sub it tries to charge me at the full £199 rate.

Thanks, Davide. How do you get this discount? Can't see anything in the app about it. When I try to purchase the Lifetime Sub it tries to charge me at the full £199 rate.

There is nothing to do to get the discount. It appears automatically replacing the current price. It is probably connected to the Hipstamatic account of each user.

There is nothing to do to get the discount. It appears automatically replacing the current price. It is probably connected to the Hipstamatic account of each user.
Well it's definitely not appearing on my iPhones (and I've checked it on two, both signed into my Hipstamatic account via the original app). The new app doesn't have anywhere to enter your account details.

Has anyone at Hipsta really thought this new app through, I wonder? It's getting a pasting in the iOS App Store reviews. It was 3.5 a few hours ago and now has dropped to 1.7. There's a lot of angry (and long-term) customers out there.

Well it's definitely not appearing on my iPhones (and I've checked it on two, both signed into my Hipstamatic account via the original app). The new app doesn't have anywhere to enter your account details.

Has anyone at Hipsta really thought this new app through, I wonder? It's getting a pasting in the iOS App Store reviews. It was 3.5 a few hours ago and now has dropped to 1.7. There's a lot of angry (and long-term) customers out there.

Yes, I'm not surprised about that. And it's true, there is no way to enter account details and as has been said before, there is no understanding on how to transfer all Hipstamatic Classic gears to the new app either. And I'm not surprised about all these problems either, knowing already all the past experiences. I basically follow Hipstamatic since the beginning with all the bugs, changing, and all the "new" apps they have created so far. But, I suppose I'm an addicted one, even if I don't use it much.

This is what I see Richard. At the end, I've decided to buy it and give it a go. I always support them even if I wish they could care more about developement and a bit less about money. But it is what it is.

PS: they will probably change prices in the future. I suppose.

This looks like it might be a fun thing — a return to some of the innocent and playful spirit of the original Hipstamatic app — and I'm sure I would pay for it, if it were priced somewhere around the level of contemporary premium photo apps. Halide costs about $6.00 USD, for example.

It's still a gamble that the company will be alive and supporting this app for a while, and some of us remember having lost this type of bet with this particular company before. (What was the name of that photo-development app where you poured bottles of chemicals into a solution and pulled a lever to develop the image? I seem to remember dropping maybe $5 or $6 on a lifetime of future updates, for which we are all still patiently waiting.)

All that said, here I am following this thread avidly, after having pre-ordered the (free version of) the app a week before its release. The old Hipsta magic is not dead. And truly, those early days were the most fun I've had in the whole crazy iPhoneography adventure. Hard to fault the creators for trying to reclaim a bit of that. But as it stands today, Hipstamatic X doesn't feel like a persuasive or fully-thought-out proposition.

This looks like it might be a fun thing — a return to some of the innocent and playful spirit of the original Hipstamatic app — and I'm sure I would pay for it, if it were priced somewhere around the level of contemporary premium photo apps. Halide costs about $6.00 USD, for example.

It's still a gamble that the company will be alive and supporting this app for a while, and some of us remember having lost this type of bet with this particular company before. (What was the name of that photo-development app where you poured bottles of chemicals into a solution and pulled a lever to develop the image? I seem to remember dropping maybe $5 or $6 on a lifetime of future updates, for which we are all still patiently waiting.)

All that said, here I am following this thread avidly, after having pre-ordered the (free version of) the app a week before its release. The old Hipsta magic is not dead. And truly, those early days were the most fun I've had in the whole crazy iPhoneography adventure. Hard to fault the creators for trying to reclaim a bit of that. But as it stands today, Hipstamatic X doesn't feel like a persuasive or fully-thought-out proposition.

Agreed. I was talking about the same app before which I paid too for the "lifetime" experience but I don't remember the name either. It was a fun app though. And yes, I consider throwing away this money too because I have no idea how long this app will last, as usual. I hope they prove us wrong.

I found Hipstamatic X was automatically downloaded to my phone. I’ve never seen that happen before. It feels rather invasive.

This is dreadful. It appears to be made for a new generation of Hipstamstic users. The under 5 set.
Cringe-worthy. I couldn’t stand it for more than a few minutes before I deleted it.

Richard, I can get it for £28.99. If I think about it I have probably already spent £50+ on paks. If I can still get my paks on the new one, I really don’t want to pay another £29. I just can’t see what paks they can now produce which would add anything to this. If I end up not being able to get my paks without subscription it goes in the bin. End of.

6E3A944B-E4AE-4382-9641-8E086B4D08B3.png

I hit the Restore Purchase and now I have many more in groups/categories unless I didn’t notice this before. I don’t recognise all the names:

C6A342DD-C968-4BD2-8C37-092CB4C52BE7.png

I think you will only get the editing tools if you become a member.

A lot of the information is under the camera at the top:

40A2BB2C-D72B-48E6-A7D4-C563D9D01708.jpeg

When I got to the Camera Shelf I swiped right and found a whole lot of stuff but when I tried again it didn’t work so don’t know how I managed to enter what I think was the Club area. Edit: managed to get to the screens when I hit ‘Join the Makers Club’ at the bottom of the Camera Shelf.

Last edited:
Well, after contacting Hipstamatic - and getting a very swift response to my email - I'm pleased to report the special offer price is finally showing on my phone. Nothing they did, it just suddenly appeared as I was looking at it!

BTW, the very helpful support guy who wrote back to me, said they were aware of an issue that was preventing some of the older FreePaks (such as SXSW and W Mag) from transferring over. They're working on an update to address that problem.

Great support from a company that must be under a lot of pressure right now with the app just out and all the flack heading their way!

A lot of the information is under the camera at the top:
Yes. If you check out the 'Supply Catalog' (bottom of Camera Shelf screen) you'll find they've categorised ALL their current films and lenses under categories like Tint, Texture, Grain, Vignette and more plus styles like Retro, Clean, Portrait, Low Light, etc. Very useful for those of us trying to categorise years of Paks and elements. ;)

To me this feels very reminiscent of the regular Hipstamatic app: really cool graphics/packaging but the actual product sucks (e.g. I really only like the lens graphics/art of many of the paks I’ve purchased over the last few years. :rolleyes: )
I think a lot of people are wearing rose tinted spectacles where Hipstamatic is concerned. Yes it was 'a thing' a few years ago and if I'd been an iphone user back then I'd have been delighted with what it had to offer.
But things have moved on imho, camera's have got more sophisticated but Hipsta is still clinging onto that retro look that made them great. Is it still relevant today, or are they just milking the cash cow?

Have we got examples of images taken on the new X thingy?

I kinda like the categories for the lenses and films. As a once in a while Hipsta user, I hated trying to recreate a combo that I liked from someone else. It took for ever to put together. Of course, I’ll have to explore the categories more to get the feel of them. Here’s a image I took with a “new” camera I made from a favorite combo I use for colllages. It came from Hipstography and was called the Minimalist or something like that.
BB18F8A6-0FD8-41FF-A95A-24CD5C55A847.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom