Hipstamatic X

I think a lot of people are wearing rose tinted spectacles where Hipstamatic is concerned. Yes it was 'a thing' a few years ago and if I'd been an iphone user back then I'd have been delighted with what it had to offer.
But things have moved on imho, camera's have got more sophisticated but Hipsta is still clinging onto that retro look that made them great. Is it still relevant today, or are they just milking the cash cow?

Have we got examples of images taken on the new X thingy?
Agree. The reason Hipstamatic was so popular was because the images weren’t always great in the first place so applying a retro look made them funky where they wouldn’t stand up on their own. Now I find myself just tuning a lot of my images without much manipulation unless it’s to create an arty piece. If I have a good sharp image, I don’t want to spoil it with filters. I had a look at the winners of the IPPA Awards and the 2008/9 winners are almost cringeworthy. I think we have moved on as photographers too. I have and I have noticed a massive improvement in many people who have become Mobilifers.

However, the people who have used Hipstamatic in earnest for many years like Leslie certainly create a lot of magic with it. I think this lot will buy the cheap Life Membership this week but I’ll be surprised if many people sign up for the sub.

I kinda like the categories for the lenses and films. As a once in a while Hipsta user, I hated trying to recreate a combo that I liked from someone else. It took for ever to put together. Of course, I’ll have to explore the categories more to get the feel of them. Here’s a image I took with a “new” camera I made from a favorite combo I use for colllages. It came from Hipstography and was called the Minimalist or something like that.
View attachment 150170
is this done in the old app?

Hi everyone, brand new to the forum, but a long time user of Hipstamatic. Can anyone tell me what the lens/film combo is being used for the Toy Camera on Hip X?
Interesting, it’s not saving the lens and film in the EXIF anymore and also overwriting all other EXIF data.

Hi everyone, brand new to the forum, but a long time user of Hipstamatic. Can anyone tell me what the lens/film combo is being used for the Toy Camera on Hip X?
Welcome to MobiTog, Mike. Great to have you with us. If you’re a Hipstamatic user you couldn’t be in better company. As you can see all opinions on Hipsta’s long-running app are reflected here. Pick a side and prepare for battle. ;)

Compare those to the samples displayed in the Hip X app when you click on the Toy Camera option. I think that's one of the reasons the EXIF info won't display properly. The developers don't want regular Hipstamatic users to duplicate these on their original apps. So maybe they're intentionally blocking that info???
It might be just one of many bugs that I'm sure the devs are finding. The reply I had to my email confirmed they have at least one update in the works.

I think a lot of people are wearing rose tinted spectacles where Hipstamatic is concerned. Yes it was 'a thing' a few years ago and if I'd been an iphone user back then I'd have been delighted with what it had to offer.

But things have moved on imho, camera's have got more sophisticated but Hipsta is still clinging onto that retro look that made them great. Is it still relevant today, or are they just milking the cash cow?
I think it's more a case of the devil you know. I agree, cameras have improved dramatically but filters are still to be found everywhere - by the bucket load. Yes, the whole retro/analog thing is Hipstamatic's raison d'etre but along the way they have produced some very creative offerings which I still like to use in my photos today. Sure they've overdone the 'analog' desaturated and light leak looks but in over 200 film and lens offerings you can still find some elements that I feel are relevant.

One of the things that attracted me to iphoneography in the first place was the ability to shoot high-quality images AND have fun with them. I am a relic of the days when we used real filters that where expensive to buy and had to screwed onto real lenses. Even then we were always looking for ways to combine filters to create new and different effects. To be able to do that and more by the simple tap or swipe on a screen I find to be such a liberating and creative experience.

So pardon me while I adjust my rose-tinted spectacles, don my khaftan - with the love beads, natch - and join my commune of groovy people in a rousing chorus of 'Aquarius'. ;)

OK, so I caved and bought the Lifetime sub to the new Hipstamatic app. Call the men with butterfly nets and ready my padded cell. :tonguewink:

My justification is that special offer price was a good deal (I'd never have paid the full £200 price - I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!). I was thinking about trying it out for a year anyway but for another six quid I could get the Lifetime sub and stick around to see how they develop the app. It was also a gesture of support for Hipstamatic who have been a big part of my iphoneography resources over the past 10 years. I never subscribed to Oggl so maybe now is the time.

Even if the whole thing goes belly-up tomorrow I won't feel I've lost out big time. Pity the poor souls who go for the Lifetime option next week when the price goes up.

OK, so I caved and bought the Lifetime sub to the new Hipstamatic app. Call the men with butterfly nets and ready my padded cell. :tonguewink:

My justification is that special offer price was a good deal (I'd never have paid the full £200 price - I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!). I was thinking about trying it out for a year anyway but for another six quid I could get the Lifetime sub and stick around to see how they develop the app. It was also a gesture of support for Hipstamatic who have been a big part of my iphoneography resources over the past 10 years. I never subscribed to Oggl so maybe now is the time.

Even if the whole thing goes belly-up tomorrow I won't feel I've lost out big time. Pity the poor souls who go for the Lifetime option next week when the price goes up.

Oh no Richard, you're feeding the beast!!! Kidding. In response also to SinnerJohn, Hipstamatic for me was a call back to when I was very young, traveling with my family and snapping pictures with my Kodak Instamatic 174, which I still have behind glass today. The number of combos is quite ridiculous; to the point that I suffer from 'paralysis by analysis' when it comes time to shoot or edit. So deleting everything expect 10 or so of my favorite combos is in my near future. Yes, there are a ton of filter and editing apps, but for the most part, it's pretty much down to Hipstamatic, RNI Films, Snapseed and VSCO. Depending on what the photo calls for, I may add texture with Stackables or Mextures.

Interesting, it’s not saving the lens and film in the EXIF anymore and also overwriting all other EXIF data.
And it seems it doesn't even save the original. Downloaded it yesterday, but found I don't like it. No shake & bake, no double exposure. And the samples take ages to load. Why not shoeing just two, that you can see and swipe on?
I hope the old one will continue. I don't want to think of combos, I want surprises. And the real McCoy (thanks to all who explained it to me!) in my album that I can use if I don't like the result or for later/other apps.
The new one is too complicated in my eyes. Well, maybe because I'm so used to the old one.

Searched previous Hipstapak releases on the Hipstamatic website and found the pack that 'advertised' the same sample photos as the Toy Camera samples that are within the Hip X app. I then tested it out myself and matched the results.
Gosh, congrats on that find. But that would be nothing I'm ready for. Too much work. :D
And I still like how shake & bake puts gears together you never thought of. And if you like it, quickly save it as favourites and you're done. Not building a new camera you forgot what it looked like when you need that look back. :)

It might be just one of many bugs that I'm sure the devs are finding. The reply I had to my email confirmed they have at least one update in the works.
Will you choose the X in the end? Or just playing around? I'll check it out a little more tonight, but at the moment I'm far from being convinced … :)

I think it's more a case of the devil you know. I agree, cameras have improved dramatically but filters are still to be found everywhere - by the bucket load. Yes, the whole retro/analog thing is Hipstamatic's raison d'etre but along the way they have produced some very creative offerings which I still like to use in my photos today. Sure they've overdone the 'analog' desaturated and light leak looks but in over 200 film and lens offerings you can still find some elements that I feel are relevant.

One of the things that attracted me to iphoneography in the first place was the ability to shoot high-quality images AND have fun with them. I am a relic of the days when we used real filters that where expensive to buy and had to screwed onto real lenses. Even then we were always looking for ways to combine filters to create new and different effects. To be able to do that and more by the simple tap or swipe on a screen I find to be such a liberating and creative experience.

So pardon me while I adjust my rose-tinted spectacles, don my khaftan - with the love beads, natch - and join my commune of groovy people in a rousing chorus of 'Aquarius'. ;)
Oh yes, I'm joining you, waving a flower and collide with Mars!

The number of combos is quite ridiculous; to the point that I suffer from 'paralysis by analysis' when it comes time to shoot or edit. So deleting everything expect 10 or so of my favorite combos is in my near future.

Yes, there are a ton of filter and editing apps, but for the most part, it's pretty much down to Hipstamatic, RNI Films, Snapseed and VSCO.
Know what you mean, Mike. That's why, as a bit of a 'stats fanatic', I try to keep track of all the Hipstamatic releases and classify them under types and styles. The classifications in the new app will certainly help towards that.

Filters are certainly everywhere. Don't forget Instagram and Google Photos also have expanding collections of them.

Will you choose the X in the end? Or just playing around? I'll check it out a little more tonight, but at the moment I'm far from being convinced … :)
Good question, Gouvy. Too early to say and part of the reason I wanted to unlock all the elements. I'll be interested to see how they distinguish the new and old apps from each other in the months ahead.

Okay, if you're 'fessin' up, so will I. I bought in the first day. I just see it as an opportunity to put together a collection of my most used combos, and possibly remember what they do. I rarely use Hipsta because I get so bogged down by the choices. I guess, to me it's a fresh start.

Good question, Gouvy. Too early to say and part of the reason I wanted to unlock all the elements. I'll be interested to see how they distinguish the new and old apps from each other in the months ahead.
Okay, if you're 'fessin' up, so will I. I bought in the first day. I just see it as an opportunity to put together a collection of my most used combos, and possibly remember what they do. I rarely use Hipsta because I get so bogged down by the choices. I guess, to me it's a fresh start.

Like you I rolled the die and bought lifetime, just in case they discontinue the old one or put in the new all I miss at the moment (or both and then regretting to have not went for the bargain …).
I really hate that X destroys the original shot for the edited version. I wanna keep the original, where is the button to save as new or copy?! I don't want to duplicate it first and then go back to the app. I'd never get used to.
Well, and I had indeed a closer look. Besides the not keeping the original, there is no way for shake and bake nor double expose. And I'd rather have a zoom than pulling down a menu to choose the lens or so – but maybe that part I could get used to.
Still I'm curious what will happen to it but at the moment I'm 99.8% old Hipstacam fan. :)

Like you I rolled the die and bought lifetime, just in case they discontinue the old one or put in the new all I miss at the moment (or both and then regretting to have not went for the bargain …).
I really hate that X destroys the original shot for the edited version. I wanna keep the original, where is the button to save as new or copy?!
Still I'm curious what will happen to it but at the moment I'm 99.8% old Hipstacam fan. :)
Good to know I'm not alone in my irrational act. Anyone else? There's plenty of room in my padded cell. ;)

I think, at this time, Hipstamatic are positioning the new app as purely a 'point & shoot' camera with minimal post processing while the old app is more the 'pro' version. For the next few months I'm going to take care and keep original shots away from Hipsta X and only work on copies.

Well, I for one am glad that you’ve bought in. I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of it. You’re our little kaftan wearing, love bead-jangling, long-haired hippy guinea pig. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom