Hipstamatic X

I just discovered a neat little trick in HipstaX. It's about building the cameras, not related to the quality of the photos.

If you're like me, when building your camera, you want to get a case color that matches or complements the lens that is going to be right in the middle of your camera. Each case comes with nine colors unique to that case. So say you like the new worn leather case and you want to use the bright pink Watts lens. Worn leather doesn't provide a color that looks good with it. What to do?

Once you have your lens in place during the camera build, go back two steps to the camera case choices. Choose another case then look through that cases's color choices. Once you find a color you like (say, Salmon Pink that is available with the Instant Camera case), then go back to the camera case choices one last time. Select Worn Leather. The color remains Salmon Pink. Now you can save it and you've got a Salmon Pink Worn Leather case that looks good with a Watts lens on it.

I just discovered a neat little trick in HipstaX. It's about building the cameras, not related to the quality of the photos.

If you're like me, when building your camera, you want to get a case color that matches or complements the lens that is going to be right in the middle of your camera. Each case comes with nine colors unique to that case. So say you like the new worn leather case and you want to use the bright pink Watts lens. Worn leather doesn't provide a color that looks good with it. What to do?

Once you have your lens in place during the camera build, go back two steps to the camera case choices. Choose another case then look through that cases's color choices. Once you find a color you like (say, Salmon Pink that is available with the Instant Camera case), then go back to the camera case choices one last time. Select Worn Leather. The color remains Salmon Pink. Now you can save it and you've got a Salmon Pink Worn Leather case that looks good with a Watts lens on it.
Wow... who knew???

This is cool! I forgot about this handy little app and have drifted back to the original Hipsta. I again have way to many presets to keep track. I love this hint to help remind you of the tone or feel of a setting. And it still only has a the very few I started with. :)

Maybe I make myself unpopular, but I wish Hipstamatic would come to their senses and finally bury this stupid X idea. This is dead end as many their previous apps like DSPO, Disposable Camera, Oggl. Oggls idea was good, but it should be a part of Hipstamatic. There is no need for dedicated app. The should simply focus on the straight Hipsta app and put much more energy in paks design. There are to many useless of them.

Maybe I make myself unpopular, but I wish Hipstamatic would come to their senses and finally bury this stupid X idea. This is dead end as many their previous apps like DSPO, Disposable Camera, Oggl. Oggls idea was good, but it should be a part of Hipstamatic. There is no need for dedicated app. The should simply focus on the straight Hipsta app and put much more energy in paks design. There are to many useless of them.
Agreed

I like Hipstamatic X. I find the shooting interface is quicker and easier than classic, with a better viewfinder. It always annoyed me that I can only switch to telephoto in the classic skin and only switch to the front camera in the new/pro interface in the classic app. Just last week they released an update with powerful editing which was the main thing I missed from the classic app when x was first released. Also cloud sync for all your presets with classic. Glad I got the lifetime subscription back then.

Now I know why Hipstamatic X felt abandoned to me. I've been using it on my iPad mini 2. However, it won't accept iOS 13. It will only go as high as 12.4.8. So I've revived my iPhone 6 Plus with the heavily damaged screen. With the update to iOS 13, I can now see the new editing suite and the passport and magazine and all the other features I was missing.

I went out to Downtown Seattle on Saturday night to take some photos of the city in all this smoke. I managed to get about 100 photos before my iPhone bricked itself. I'm starting to run short on iDevices. My mini won't upgrade to iOS 13. My iPhone 6 Plus is dead. I just have an old iPad Air 2 that's about five years old now and a full-size iPad is not exactly conducive to photography. So I need something small and cheap because I have zero money to work with.

Option 1: new iPad mini: cheapest is 64GB for $400. I don't have $400 but I could probably do it in two months.
Option 2: iPhone SE: same as iPad, cheapest is 64GB for $400.
Option 3: iPod Touch: cheapest is 32GB for $200. I could probably do that on my next payday on Friday. Then I could start saving to replace everything: mini, iPad and iPhone.
Option 4: Wait for tomorrow's Apple Event and see if any prices get reduced. Since I can't do anything until Friday anyway, I'll definitely take Option 4, then I'll probably go with Option 3.

I went out to Downtown Seattle on Saturday night to take some photos of the city in all this smoke. I managed to get about 100 photos before my iPhone bricked itself. I'm starting to run short on iDevices. My mini won't upgrade to iOS 13. My iPhone 6 Plus is dead. I just have an old iPad Air 2 that's about five years old now and a full-size iPad is not exactly conducive to photography. So I need something small and cheap because I have zero money to work with.

Option 1: new iPad mini: cheapest is 64GB for $400. I don't have $400 but I could probably do it in two months.
Option 2: iPhone SE: same as iPad, cheapest is 64GB for $400.
Option 3: iPod Touch: cheapest is 32GB for $200. I could probably do that on my next payday on Friday. Then I could start saving to replace everything: mini, iPad and iPhone.
Option 4: Wait for tomorrow's Apple Event and see if any prices get reduced. Since I can't do anything until Friday anyway, I'll definitely take Option 4, then I'll probably go with Option 3.
Does it definitely have to be Apple Kent?

Bummer! I'd love to see the images.
I was thinking that, too.
I have good news.

I got a new 256gb iPod Touch. While trying to reload the seven Christmas cameras from Hipstamatic that they offered on their Instagram page last winter, I discovered five of them won't load. One loads okay but it has the wrong camera back, and the last one is the only one that loads properly. I've still got Hipstamatic X on my outdated iPad mini, so I guess I'll keep it for Christmas family photos.

I got a new 256gb iPod Touch. While trying to reload the seven Christmas cameras from Hipstamatic that they offered on their Instagram page last winter, I discovered five of them won't load. One loads okay but it has the wrong camera back, and the last one is the only one that loads properly. I've still got Hipstamatic X on my outdated iPad mini, so I guess I'll keep it for Christmas family photos.
Any idea why that would be?

No idea. I'm guessing it's related to which iOS your iDevice has, but I really don't know. It's just a little disconcerting to think that updating your iPhone might cause you to lose cameras.
Hi Kent,

I have an iPod Touch 6 and I loaded Hipstamatic to see if I could get the Christmas cameras and I had no problem loading them at all. The only pak I couldn’t load was the SH SnapPak which was originally free. However, the iOS only goes up to 12.

Hi Kent,

I have an iPod Touch 6 and I loaded Hipstamatic to see if I could get the Christmas cameras and I had no problem loading them at all. The only pak I couldn’t load was the SH SnapPak which was originally free. However, the iOS only goes up to 12.
It sounds like the Christmas cameras don't like iOS 14 for some reason. Thanks for confirming they still work on iOS 12 at least.

There's been a major update to Hipstamatic X. A new feature is "stacks." It allows you to share your photo with other people, right on the app. Hipstamatic did say they wanted to combine features from previous apps into HipstaX, and this sounds a lot like Oggl. There is a new icon on the bottom right of the camera screen that looks like a small stack of photos. Click on it and you'll see something like this:

You'll see photos in the stack that you can interact with just like in Oggl. You'll also notice the Holiday Blizzard camera from last year is available again. I don't know if that "DEC 22" means it's only available today, but I made sure I grabbed it just in case. If you click on that + sign, you'll get this screen:

You can create your own emojis and stickers. I'll have to play around with it tonight, see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom