Hipstamatic X

There's been a major update to Hipstamatic X. A new feature is "stacks." It allows you to share your photo with other people, right on the app. Hipstamatic did say they wanted to combine features from previous apps into HipstaX, and this sounds a lot like Oggl. There is a new icon on the bottom right of the camera screen that looks like a small stack of photos. Click on it and you'll see something like this:

You'll see photos in the stack that you can interact with just like in Oggl. You'll also notice the Holiday Blizzard camera from last year is available again. I don't know if that "DEC 22" means it's only available today, but I made sure I grabbed it just in case. If you click on that + sign, you'll get this screen:

You can create your own emojis and stickers. I'll have to play around with it tonight, see what I can do.
Thanks for the heads up

Had a play around with the Stack this afternoon. Did remind me a bit of Oggl which now is all but dead. I recently asked Hipstamatic about this and they said,
“Our developer is working on an announcement about the future of the app (Oggl)”
Maybe stack is there answer

I’ve noticed something that concerns me about HipstaX. If you’ve used it, you’re familiar with the seven different daily photo stamps.

Every once in a while, they will have a special stamp. Not just holidays like Christmas, New Year’s or MLK Day, but whimsical days like Taco Day and Houseplant Appreciation Day.

These are all the special daily photo stamps I’ve seen. Five in October, three in November, two in December, four in January, and one in February. It’s been almost four months since the last one.

Every day I hoped there would be another special daily stamp. It was an added incentive to take a daily photo. I don’t know if the art was done by in-house staff or out-sourced, but I loved the look. Considering how long it’s been, we can assume there won’t be any more.

More and more I’m getting the feeling X has performed below expectations and it will get the Oggl/D-Series treatment and be abandoned. Of course releasing a new photo app ten years after the Golden Age of photo apps and right at the height of the worst pandemic in one hundred years can’t have helped. Still, I had higher hopes for this.

I’ve noticed something that concerns me about HipstaX. If you’ve used it, you’re familiar with the seven different daily photo stamps.

Every once in a while, they will have a special stamp. Not just holidays like Christmas, New Year’s or MLK Day, but whimsical days like Taco Day and Houseplant Appreciation Day.

These are all the special daily photo stamps I’ve seen. Five in October, three in November, two in December, four in January, and one in February. It’s been almost four months since the last one.

Every day I hoped there would be another special daily stamp. It was an added incentive to take a daily photo. I don’t know if the art was done by in-house staff or out-sourced, but I loved the look. Considering how long it’s been, we can assume there won’t be any more.

More and more I’m getting the feeling X has performed below expectations and it will get the Oggl/D-Series treatment and be abandoned. Of course releasing a new photo app ten years after the Golden Age of photo apps and right at the height of the worst pandemic in one hundred years can’t have helped. Still, I had higher hopes for this.
That’s an interesting observation. I only briefly scan the “stamps” but I didn’t notice one for “donut” day??? I agree with you,
based on comments made, that the HipstaX has probably performed below expectations. Most die hard Hipsta fans probably can’t see any reason to ditch the HipstaClassic. As for Oggl personally I loved it, great camera and social interface which was allowed to run into the ground.
In a moment of madness I paid the lifetime subscription for the X and I can’t really see any advantages over the classic

That’s an interesting observation. I only briefly scan the “stamps” but I didn’t notice one for “donut” day??? I agree with you,
based on comments made, that the HipstaX has probably performed below expectations. Most die hard Hipsta fans probably can’t see any reason to ditch the HipstaClassic. As for Oggl personally I loved it, great camera and social interface which was allowed to run into the ground.
In a moment of madness I paid the lifetime subscription for the X and I can’t really see any advantages over the classic
I guess I haven’t been involved long enough to even see a special stamp, but I did notice when I post to “the stack” it doesn’t take long to thumb through the images posted in the last 24 hours. The thing I really like about “the stack” is being able to try out new cameras without cluttering up your collection. In my regular Hipstamatic I have so many combinations, I can’t remember which is which. I need a tute on organization. I would be sorry to see HipstaX go for that reason. I do have to admit I’m kind of addicted to posting on the stack daily, it inspires me to take a quick image of something right around me, forcing me to be creative.

I guess I haven’t been involved long enough to even see a special stamp, but I did notice when I post to “the stack” it doesn’t take long to thumb through the images posted in the last 24 hours. The thing I really like about “the stack” is being able to try out new cameras without cluttering up your collection. In my regular Hipstamatic I have so many combinations, I can’t remember which is which. I need a tute on organization. I would be sorry to see HipstaX go for that reason. I do have to admit I’m kind of addicted to posting on the stack daily, it inspires me to take a quick image of something right around me, forcing me to be creative.
I’ve been posting to the stack on a regular basis and like you, trying out different “cameras”. There isn’t a lot of activitie there but I’ve recognised some new names from IG and Facebook groups joining in. As for labeling the cameras I try to connect the name to where I discovered the combo. For instance a black and white combo I picked up from an organised photo walk I went on I called “Photoshoot BW”. One combo I picked up off IG I used the username “Sunflower”. Three other cameras I’ve named “chunky road”, “Dreamy road” and “BNW travels” after the chapter headings in a great little book of Hipstamatic photos by Marianne and Tom O’Connell on “Apple” books called “Hip Trips”.

I’ve been posting to the stack on a regular basis and like you, trying out different “cameras”. There isn’t a lot of activitie there but I’ve recognised some new names from IG and Facebook groups joining in. As for labeling the cameras I try to connect the name to where I discovered the combo. For instance a black and white combo I picked up from an organised photo walk I went on I called “Photoshoot BW”. One combo I picked up off IG I used the username “Sunflower”. Three other cameras I’ve named “chunky road”, “Dreamy road” and “BNW travels” after the chapter headings in a great little book of Hipstamatic photos by Marianne and Tom O’Connell on “Apple” books called “Hip Trips”.
I tend to name them from what they look like or what I’d use them for. I also tend to collect weird ones. “Kalidescope”, ”Orange high Contrast”, Antique BnW”. I also try to eliminate rarely used cameras or ones that wind up being very similar. But that’s HipstaX. My basic Hipsta is a MESS! If I ever have to go back to that......I’ll probably surrender!

I tend to name them from what they look like or what I’d use them for. I also tend to collect weird ones. “Kalidescope”, ”Orange high Contrast”, Antique BnW”. I also try to eliminate rarely used cameras or ones that wind up being very similar. But that’s HipstaX. My basic Hipsta is a MESS! If I ever have to go back to that......I’ll probably surrender!
I like your names, “antique bnw” is a good one. I regularly deleted the classic combos and reduced the list down to a manageable 33 at last count.

Its really interesting to read peoples observations on HipX, especially from back at the point of launch. I downloaded it straight away and have used it ever since on a daily basis - but only as the 'free' version. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone in their right mind would fork out any cash on a subscription basis, just to get features which are readily available in the Classic version at a fraction of the cost. I have been contributing to the Stacks feature recently, purely for fun, but it is interesting to see the amount of plain selfies which go up on a daily basis, without any apparent regard for style, artistry or aesthetics! Where I find it useful though is for its prompts, reminding me to take a Daily Photo and a Snappy Hour photo. Whilst I am not in the least bit competitive and don't care about stats or stamps, it does provide me with a small challenge to find something to photograph very quickly and 'shoot from the hip', rather than deliberate about lens choices and angles etc. Hipstamatic Classic is far and away my favourite iphone photo app and I do hope that it is never displaced by HipX, which is clearly just an extortionist gimmick.

Its really interesting to read peoples observations on HipX, especially from back at the point of launch. I downloaded it straight away and have used it ever since on a daily basis - but only as the 'free' version. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone in their right mind would fork out any cash on a subscription basis, just to get features which are readily available in the Classic version at a fraction of the cost. I have been contributing to the Stacks feature recently, purely for fun, but it is interesting to see the amount of plain selfies which go up on a daily basis, without any apparent regard for style, artistry or aesthetics! Where I find it useful though is for its prompts, reminding me to take a Daily Photo and a Snappy Hour photo. Whilst I am not in the least bit competitive and don't care about stats or stamps, it does provide me with a small challenge to find something to photograph very quickly and 'shoot from the hip', rather than deliberate about lens choices and angles etc. Hipstamatic Classic is far and away my favourite iphone photo app and I do hope that it is never displaced by HipX, which is clearly just an extortionist gimmick.
I have been posting on the the Stack, also. Like you, I like the challenge of finding something to photograph on the fly. I also like the seeing and and trying out unusual lens and film combinations. I have the paid version, but for some reason I got it at a reduced price or free somehow. I don’t remember…maybe I Beta tested it. :lmao:

I feel like I’m doing nothing but “whinging“ (as our British friends might say) about HipstaX, but there are a couple things I feel I should point out.

First, this is from an interview with Lucas Buick from when X was released.
300C5137-A8A6-4E47-B24B-C88260B44970.jpeg

Note the two highlighted quotes. Screw social, he says. And yet a year later they added the stacks, effectively bringing their social app, Oggl, into HipstaX.

Then notice the difference between what is promised on the Hipstamatic home page and the App Store.
B9270657-FEF5-45B9-8CD4-3FD1F1ED394F.jpeg

A2662D38-CC30-4080-9EDF-33D2632F6821.jpeg
Notice on their home page, one of the touted benefits of joining the Hipstamatic Maker’s Club is “early access to new cameras arriving several times a year.” That was the biggest reason I purchased the Maker’s Club. Yet there hasn’t been a new camera since the Adventure camera came out in March of last year. But then notice the wording on the App Store page. Joining the Member’s Club gets you access to exclusive cameras, but there’s no mention about “several times a year.” In other words, you get access to the exclusive cameras already released, but that’s it. It just reinforces my concern that HipstaX is failing.

It’s worth noting that the last exclusive camera came out at around the same time the last unique day stamp for the passport came out. I’m more convinced than ever that whoever was doing all the art for HipstaX, from the stamps to the camera cases, was let go very early in 2020. Perhaps they were brought back for the design of the stacks update from last Christmas. Maybe it was someone else they contracted with. But other than that update, Hipstamatic X has felt like it’s been on hold for a year and a half.

Did you pay a one off price for this Kent? Looking at it cynically, if most people did, they now have your money :rolleyes:
I see a lot of moaning on MobiTog and elsewhere about subscriptions but at least you can cancel a sub if you're not happy with something, vote with your feet so to speak.

I feel like I’m doing nothing but “whinging“ (as our British friends might say) about HipstaX, but there are a couple things I feel I should point out.

First, this is from an interview with Lucas Buick from when X was released.
View attachment 171288
Note the two highlighted quotes. Screw social, he says. And yet a year later they added the stacks, effectively bringing their social app, Oggl, into HipstaX.

Then notice the difference between what is promised on the Hipstamatic home page and the App Store.
View attachment 171287
View attachment 171286Notice on their home page, one of the touted benefits of joining the Hipstamatic Maker’s Club is “early access to new cameras arriving several times a year.” That was the biggest reason I purchased the Maker’s Club. Yet there hasn’t been a new camera since the Adventure camera came out in March of last year. But then notice the wording on the App Store page. Joining the Member’s Club gets you access to exclusive cameras, but there’s no mention about “several times a year.” In other words, you get access to the exclusive cameras already released, but that’s it. It just reinforces my concern that HipstaX is failing.

It’s worth noting that the last exclusive camera came out at around the same time the last unique day stamp for the passport came out. I’m more convinced than ever that whoever was doing all the art for HipstaX, from the stamps to the camera cases, was let go very early in 2020. Perhaps they were brought back for the design of the stacks update from last Christmas. Maybe it was someone else they contracted with. But other than that update, Hipstamatic X has felt like it’s been on hold for a year and a half.
I hear you and I’ve already addressed some of your points with Hipstamatic but haven’t heard back. I feel really sorry for anyone who paid the non discounted price. Another thing I’ve noticed is the difference in the filters when used on the X and Classic

John, yes I bought the lifetime membership, but it was discounted, so I’ve “only” lost $30 instead of $200. I honestly thought buying the lifetime membership would save me money over the long term.

Kevin, do you have examples of these differences? I’d like to see them.

John, yes I bought the lifetime membership, but it was discounted, so I’ve “only” lost $30 instead of $200. I honestly thought buying the lifetime membership would save me money over the long term.

Kevin, do you have examples of these differences? I’d like to see them.
I’ve run comparisons between photos taken with the same combos with the Classic and X. I recall there were a couple of standout differences but alas I deleted them. It’s a useful experiment to try. I might even give it another go

Update 8.1 has gone live.

• All the latest gear from Hipstamatic Classic is now available, including over 10 new lenses and films

• Updated for iOS 15

• Lots of performance improvements and bug fixes in Photo Editor

• Swipe-down to dismiss from editor, with option to Save or Discard changes via drag gesture

• Quick-reply to buddy activity from iPhone Notification Center or your Apple Watch (using long-press on iOS or scroll up on watchOS)

• Other bug fixes and performance improvements

so how do you tell what version your on ? on IOS?
If you have automatic updates for your apps set up on your iPhone, then you should have it already. You can check by trying to make a new camera in HipstaX. If the new lenses and films are available, then you have it. Otherwise, there’s no real way to tell. Neither the app or your phone will tell you which specific version of the app you have installed on your phone.

Ive go auto updates enabled, so I probably have it. I dont really use it to any great effect any more, so its hard to tell whats different for me. Is Hipsta Classic getting a revamp too?

This is the first unique daily photo stamp I've seen in about two years.
View attachment 190980
So is this fabulous 'update' a re-launch of Hipstamatic X or the Classic ? I dont want to update the Classic app and have it overwritten by the new version. The two seem to be distinct on the app store and I have been beta testing the HM X, but so far can't see any real difference in X.

Back
Top Bottom