IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
Gosh, two and a half years since we lived here. We arrived this evening (Sunday) and getting to our hotel was uneventful thankfully. We are staying in a basic but perfect hotel near to where we used to live and the views are nearly the same. So far nothing has changed and it feels like we have never left. Didn’t expect that. Maybe when we start getting around it will feel different.

It was very interesting taking images with both of my phones, no edits:

iPhone 11 Pro
DF6EC089-3EE7-4F90-9939-64704A285A2C.jpeg

iPhone 7+
2C40210F-0CC6-4FA1-AEE6-BB304CB79E50.jpeg

Gosh, two and a half years since we lived here. We arrived this evening (Sunday) and getting to our hotel was uneventful thankfully. We are staying in a basic but perfect hotel near to where we used to live and the views are nearly the same. So far nothing has changed and it feels like we have never left. Didn’t expect that. Maybe when we start getting around it will feel different.

iPhone 11 Pro
View attachment 152106

iPhone 7+
View attachment 152107
Two and a half years???? Really? Doesn’t time fly?! The difference can definitely be seen in these images. I’m looking forward to journeying with you on this new adventure. :lol: :thumbs:

iPhone 11 Pro
View attachment 152106

iPhone 7+
View attachment 152107
Wow... look at the clouds the 11 pulled out. :notworthy:

iPhone 11 Pro
View attachment 152106

iPhone 7+
View attachment 152107
You know, I’ve been doing very well resisting the 11. This isn’t helping.

I’m glad you’re back in Hong Kong. I love going on other people’s trips.

Sorry about the radio silence. We had a great hotel in Hong Kong but the bed was hard and small and I never slept more than 4 hours every night. The upshot was that I walked around in a bit of a daze and wasn’t motivated to take many photos. Then in Sydney the jet lag upped even more and again I wasn’t inspired to take many images. Finally we get to Kangeroo Valley, one of our favourite places, we finally get over the jet lag and we don’t have access to wifi except on my phone which I have to conserve for google maps, Whatsapp and emails.

Finally, the only cafe in the village with wifi opened up today (only open on weekends) and it was with great relief that I can finally catchup.

If you aren’t interested in politics, skip the rest of this post.

Just a bit about the riots in HK. We arrived on the Sunday, which was the day of the local elections. We were rather worried that all hell may break loose. However, it was totally peaceful and they had a record turnout and support for the Pan Democratic Party (the yellows). This peace lasted virtually the entire 5 days we were there and all the roads, tunnels and trains were working. With a million less mainland Chinese visitors, absolutely perfect sunny days of around 23 degrees C and uninterrupted transport, we could not have asked for better.

It was fascinating to hear everybody’s point of view with regard to the protests. One thing for sure is that you don’t want to be caught up in the tear gas. It really is extremely unpleasant.

Here are some points that everybody agrees with:
1. It has been very disruptive to everybody and many people have lost earnings because of it. All my 3 friends have.
2. The police have been incompetent but mainly because crime is almost non-existent and they are not prepared for these riots or have the right training. They usually spend their time issuing parking tickets and directing tourists. Now, even desktop staff have to go out and fight the crowds.
3. Carrie Lam, the Chief Executive of the HK, and a puppet of China has been so incompetent it’s scary and can be blamed for how badly the whole thing has been managed.
4. Whether you are for or against the riots, everybody is resigned to the fact that China is unlikely to change it’s stance.
5. Everybody has been shocked by the extent of the violence and wanton damage even those who are for it.
6. Many families are torn apart with some supporting the yellows and others the blues (whose who do not support the Pan Democratics). I think there will be an exodus of Hong Kongers. Many of them have passports for Australia, Canada, the UK and Britain.

Varied Views:
1. Some people think the violence is totally unnecessary but one of my friends was caught up in a peaceful demonstration on her way to her studio and she said that people were milling around peacefully and the police chucked tear gas into the crowd unnecessarily. This has caused a lot of anger. Personally I think the police have been too heavy handed in many cases but ineffective when control is really needed.
2. There is evidence that many of the protesters are being paid significant sums of money to up the violence. The protests are driven by social media and none of my friends knows who is behind the violence! It might be people/countries wanting to destabilise China. Personally I wonder who is really behind the extreme violence. It’s a worrying age when people can be influenced by outside forces.

Personally I think peaceful demonstrations are totally justified and some violence inevitable. Hong Kongers know they will lose the freedom of speech they have. However, some of the violence like smashing a shopping mall to smitherens really can’t be justified.

Sorry about the radio silence. We had a great hotel in Hong Kong but the bed was hard and small and I never slept more than 4 hours every night. The upshot was that I walked around in a bit of a daze and wasn’t motivated to take many photos. Then in Sydney the jet lag upped even more and again I wasn’t inspired to take many images. Finally we get to Kangeroo Valley, one of our favourite places, we finally get over the jet lag and we don’t have access to wifi except on my phone which I have to conserve for google maps, Whatsapp and emails.

Finally, the only cafe in the village with wifi opened up today (only open on weekends) and it was with great relief that I can finally catchup.

If you aren’t interested in politics, skip the rest of this post.

Just a bit about the riots in HK. We arrived on the Sunday, which was the day of the local elections. We were rather worried that all hell may break loose. However, it was totally peaceful and they had a record turnout and support for the Pan Democratic Party (the yellows). This peace lasted virtually the entire 5 days we were there and all the roads, tunnels and trains were working. With a million less mainland Chinese visitors, absolutely perfect sunny days of around 23 degrees C and uninterrupted transport, we could not have asked for better.

It was fascinating to hear everybody’s point of view with regard to the protests. One thing for sure is that you don’t want to be caught up in the tear gas. It really is extremely unpleasant.

Here are some points that everybody agrees with:
1. It has been very disruptive to everybody and many people have lost earnings because of it. All my 3 friends have.
2. The police have been incompetent but mainly because crime is almost non-existent and they are not prepared for these riots or have the right training. They usually spend their time issuing parking tickets and directing tourists. Now, even desktop staff have to go out and fight the crowds.
3. Carrie Lam, the Chief Executive of the HK, and a puppet of China has been so incompetent it’s scary and can be blamed for how badly the whole thing has been managed.
4. Whether you are for or against the riots, everybody is resigned to the fact that China is unlikely to change it’s stance.
5. Everybody has been shocked by the extent of the violence and wanton damage even those who are for it.
6. Many families are torn apart with some supporting the yellows and others the blues (whose who do not support the Pan Democratics). I think there will be an exodus of Hong Kongers. Many of them have passports for Australia, Canada, the UK and Britain.

Varied Views:
1. Some people think the violence is totally unnecessary but one of my friends was caught up in a peaceful demonstration on her way to her studio and she said that people were milling around peacefully and the police chucked tear gas into the crowd unnecessarily. This has caused a lot of anger. Personally I think the police have been too heavy handed in many cases but ineffective when control is really needed.
2. There is evidence that many of the protesters are being paid significant sums of money to up the violence. The protests are driven by social media and none of my friends knows who is behind the violence! It might be people/countries wanting to destabilise China. Personally I wonder who is really behind the extreme violence. It’s a worrying age when people can be influenced by outside forces.

Personally I think peaceful demonstrations are totally justified and some violence inevitable. Hong Kongers know they will lose the freedom of speech they have. However, some of the violence like smashing a shopping mall to smitherens really can’t be justified.
Thank you for the information... I’m glad to hear that things were peaceful during your visit. ❤️ I was saddened reading about the violence and hope it’s coming to an end. Though I understand their need to speak out against injustices. <sigh> I try to count my blessings, so much of the world is in turmoil.

iPhone 11 Pro
View attachment 152106

iPhone 7+
View attachment 152107
Wow, there is really an obvious difference between the shots.
Are you there over the holidays? Silvester in China? Oh I wish I'd be with you. Looking forward seeing more. :)

I’m back in Sydney, staying with our friends so at last internet again.

Here are a couple of the few Hong Kong images I took:

This reminds me so much of Hong Kong. Went for a walk with one of my good friends near Repulse Bay:
582595D7-85E1-4523-8365-A3087BF6DB5C.jpeg

A new statue at Exchange Square
C1502E2A-EA70-474A-866E-89E3C84D8C2E.jpeg

The day after Trumps law on Hong Kong:
FA16022D-2A31-441B-B899-AE7BFC637477.jpeg

While we lived in Hong Kong they spent the entire time renovating the old prison buildings. They have at last finished and it’s a lovely space. Wish I’d had this while I was there. Would have had somewhere to chomp my Marks and Spencer GF sandwich.
93E8F639-10F5-460F-A54B-318A5B052911.jpeg

Now that we are not living in Hong Kong we could play Fanling Golf Course for very little due to reciprocity with the golf club Tom belongs to in Cape Town
5D38266E-E61A-4F43-A659-4BA7CC99948F.jpeg

It’s taken me a while to get into a photography mood here in Oz, perhaps because we have spent so much time in suburbia with friends.

Here’s pics from Kangeroo Valley from 2 weeks back. It’s just over 2 hours south of Sydney. We stay on a rustic golf course. Many people think golf courses aren’t good for the environment but boy, we see animals and birds on them more than anywhere else.

Kangeroos on the golf course:
AF5941C5-E673-404B-8E84-77FCCBA965C4.jpeg

Wombats at night highlighted by our car head lights.
41BB6459-D5C5-4243-BDC2-0F52CED99119.jpeg

A bandicoot which we reckon was living near our cabin. A nocturnal marsupial so difficult to get a good pic and lucky to see.
CAA3FC56-B1B6-4848-953E-BB2E1F91E899.jpeg

Australian King Parrot
E7679C23-E2B4-4F25-8CEB-CCA3920288FF.jpeg

Superb Fairy Bird
91842C38-B263-4312-87D1-6C5C00F166D5.jpeg

It’s taken me a while to get into a photography mood here in Oz, perhaps because we have spent so much time in suburbia with friends.

Here’s pics from Kangeroo Valley from 2 weeks back. It’s just over 2 hours south of Sydney. We stay on a rustic golf course. Many people think golf courses aren’t good for the environment but boy, we see animals and birds on them more than anywhere else.

Kangeroos on the golf course:
View attachment 153051

Wombats at night highlighted by our car head lights.
View attachment 153052

A bandicoot which we reckon was living near our cabin. A nocturnal marsupial so difficult to get a good pic and lucky to see.
View attachment 153053

Australian King Parrot
View attachment 153054

Superb Fairy Bird
View attachment 153055
I’m not really big on plane rides (especially hours long ones) but I would like to see kangaroos hopping about like woodchucks scamper here.

From Sydney it was off to Perth. We again stayed with friends but the first couple of days were 40 degrees and honestly you do not feel like going out. We did have an overnight trip organised to Rottnest Island but again you cannot do any of the walks it’s just too hot. Fortunately our friends brought a big canopy for the beach and together with snorkelling in surprisingly cool but refreshing waters it was bearable.

Rottnest Island is famous for little quokkas, adorable. Almost like miniature kangaroos and also marsupials as are most of their animals. Of course you are not supposed to feed them but people do :mad:

F36BCD3D-55FC-45AB-94DA-6783B76D40C9.jpeg

This is typical of the vegetation of the island
505C05A5-84E0-4BF7-874D-6C88A476B675.jpeg

The beaches here have magnificent white sand as does most of the beaches we have experienced in Oz. The water was pristine.
C1610869-E5F9-44C0-92A6-EEDA7EF27475.jpeg

Last edited:
From Perth we went up to the Pinnacles. What extraordinary landscape and they cover quite a big area. Nobody really knows how they were formed although theories abound.
56AA7861-E392-4118-A4C6-A3475E80084A.jpeg

9A05163C-0BE9-4CD8-AE3C-F9E58DBF4504.jpeg

Just outside of the town of Cervantes where we stayed was Lake Thetis which contained stromatolites. These are ancient ‘live’ fossils that grow over thousands of years. Live micro organisms combine with sediment to create them. Unlike most situations, the photos look better than the actual landscape. Many of these have been damaged over time. They should all be round domes.
2799D57E-247E-48EF-8DD7-56C325E91A40.jpeg

On the way back to Perth we stopped at Lancelin which is famous for it’s sand dunes and sand dune surfing. 20 years ago I would have been having a go but these days I am happy to watch the youngsters do it and rather go for a walk along the beach!

EC2C2915-F18D-4BAC-8E0B-E12BF346C8A0.jpeg

E29474BA-16B8-4D5A-AA8B-0CD914698EA8.jpeg

12EE1F7E-4736-437D-A8B9-5FEB1012D37D.jpeg

We have our friends house to ourselves now and spent a quiet Christmas with the pets. Tipsy is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen but is rather aloof which I suppose you can be if you have such beauty. This image doesn’t do her justice - she has large lovely eyes. Nala has a gentle character as an Alsatian although still not one to cross I am sure. Rexy stole my heart completely - a feisty little gentlemen with doleful eyes when he’s begging for a scrap! Unlike Tipsy both the dogs loved company and we had many laughs with their squeeky pigs which they adored.

6471212E-D8E0-47CB-B919-2E796A7DA171.jpeg

96D64FB6-AB67-42D2-BCAD-3F9763E58DDE.jpeg

146C63E3-59DD-425C-AE7C-FE168F780067.jpeg

We leave the pets in the hands of a house sitter and leave on Boxing Day for the South - Margaret River, the main vineyard district of Western Australia.

On the way we stop off at the famous Busselton jetty which is 6,040 feet (1,841 metres) long. We took the mini tour which excludes the miniature train ride, because we wanted to walk it and it turned out considerably cheaper. This was fortuitous because the main tour was sold out that day. At the end they have an underwater observatory which was a little underwhelming but still fun. I think I would have felt ripped off if I had paid the full tour price although this did include a talk at the observatory which we didn’t get.
F04B530C-4F71-44E7-AE30-7274ABE0F9D9.jpeg

DA4F5BBF-8BA3-49B2-9873-725F076554A5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom