• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

How does mobitog handle uploads?

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Following from an exchange today, there seems to be a platform dependant difference in how mobitog handles either uploads or subsequent display of pics already uploaded.
Although I believe mobitog resamples all pictures that are uploaded these days and reduces them to 1000px on the longest size to save on server space/bandwidth.
So with his crop at 1800 odd on the longest side it will have been nearly halfed in the uploading.
I think images get resized when displayed (according to display width, I think?) rather than when uploaded. On my desktop Mac, I can right-click on an image to open it in a new tab, and there I can view it at its full uploaded size.
Couldn't get the quote thing to work but FundyBrian said:
I wish I had a better understanding of what happens at the Mobi website level after I press “send” when uploading a photo
Tried on my PC every pic had a longest length of 1000px. Even those uploaded to the site before the changes. It's the same result on both of my android devices. If the full upload is still there to view then I'd like to know how. If for no other reason, EOS must always end up @1000px even if it was a higher quality before because when I make my edit I can only ever get a 1000px download.
What's going on server side? Is the quality of pictures platform dependant? How does mobitog handle uploads and subsequent display?

Last edited:

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Following from an exchange today, there seems to be a platform dependant difference in how mobitog handles either uploads or subsequent display of pics already uploaded.

I wish I had a better understanding of what happens at the Mobi website level after I press “send” when uploading a photo

What's going on server side? Is the quality of pictures platform dependant? How does mobitog handle uploads and subsequent display?
That's certainly odd. I always upload from my iPad (with only a few exceptions from my iPhone). When viewing on my desktop Mac, I can do the right-click thing to open an image by itself in a new tab/window. But I can't do that on the iPad -- I only get an option to save the image (same as everywhere else on the web). However, I think if I do save the image to the iPad, I get the size as uploaded -- I'll have to check that, though.

Smooth? Any wisdom to offer?

EDIT: Whoops, I was wrong. When I save a posted image to the iPad, I get a 1000 pixel version. So maybe the "full size" behavior on the Mac is a bug.

Last edited:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

These are all questions for our lovely Smooth Matt.

Smooth

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Matt
Device
iPhone X
Ello!

Yep Mobitog will take the image you upload (up to a maximum of 8MB), and it will generate versions of that image - a 1k pixel longest side, and a thumbnail. The reason for this is that of speed - a web page that loaded a thread full of images all at full resolution would take an age - so ideally you want any images to be sub 1MB on a web page.

The 1k pixel image is the one that is displayed on page, and it shouldn't matter what the platform is, and Mobitog is responsive, so it will adjust itself to your screen size. I suspect that possibly, if you have found one bigger than 1k, that you have found someone who embeds their images from somewhere like Flickr - I'd be keen to test that theory though if you have an example?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I suspect that possibly, if you have found one bigger than 1k, that you have found someone who embeds their images from somewhere like Flickr - I'd be keen to test that theory though if you have an example?
Oooh, I didn't think of that, and all the ones I've tested since I mentioned it have been 1K, so I don't have a larger example right now. I'll keep an eye out, though.