sinnerjohn

IOTM WInner - April 2022
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Onsite
Project Page
Does this thread show up in latest or new posts or whatever?

NOTE FROM STAFF MEMBER: This thread was originally located in the Projects & Ongoing Work forum, but was moved here to Tech Talk. Posts from Projects & Ongoing Work don’t show up on the Home Page, which is why this question was asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this thread show up in latest or new posts or whatever?
I think it doesn't show in the Latest Posts listing but the images do show in the Latest Thread Post lineup. I think.

I believe that's true of all the personal projects threads. The only way I know that your cabinet of curiosities, Cat's occasional thread, etc. have something new is that they show up in my Alerts because they're on my watch list (because I've commented in them).

I think it doesn't show in the Latest Posts listing but the images do show in the Latest Thread Post lineup. I think.

I believe that's true of all the personal projects threads. The only way I know that your cabinet of curiosities, Cat's occasional thread, etc. have something new is that they show up in my Alerts because they're on my watch list (because I've commented in them).
I thought as much, it takes a lot of digging to find them now.

I thought as much, it takes a lot of digging to find them now.
If you tap the lightening bolt at the top right, then New Posts, it shows there. Easy peasy. I think they’re just not on the home page.

C4C13CBA-29D2-4238-8005-217EC44A8309.jpeg

If you tap the lightening bolt at the top right, then New Posts, it shows there. Easy peasy. I think they’re just not on the home page.

View attachment 147402
Oh, that's interesting. I see the lightning bolt when I'm using Safari on my iPhone, but I don't see it when I'm using Safari on my MacBook Pro. (Note to Smooth -- And I still see the lightning bolt on my iPhone when I use Request Desktop Site. Any ideas why I'm missing it on the MBP?)

EDIT: And I don't see the lightning bolt in Safari on my iPad either, whether it's in portrait or landscape orientation.

Last edited:
Ok, but what's different about the 'bolt' that's not in the New Posts tab? I'm really confused. And the 'bolt' doesn't show on pc either!
The only way I can find this thread is if anyone makes a comment against it, likewise my cabinet of curiosities. Well I can find it but how does anyone else?
"New Posts" shows all the different topics that have new posts, including everything in the "Projects & Ongoing Work" forum. If there's no new comments in a thread it won't show up under New Posts. So if you just want to go there randomly, you will need to click "Forums" and then scroll down to "Projects & Ongoing Work", and click on that.

Oh, that's interesting. I see the lightning bolt when I'm using Safari on my iPhone, but I don't see it when I'm using Safari on my MacBook Pro. (Note to Smooth -- And I still see the lightning bolt on my iPhone when I use Request Desktop Site. Any ideas why I'm missing it on the MBP?)
You don't really need the lightening bolt if you're on a web browser (I'm using Chrome on my iMac right now). Just click on Forums in the upper left, then on New Posts directly under it to see what's new. Or click on Forums and scroll down to "Projects & Ongoing Work" to access those threads. I use the lightening bolt because I can’t access it the other way unless my iPhone is turned to landscape.

Untitled.jpg

p.s. If you tap or click the MobiTog logo at the very top left, you’ll be on the home page which shows the *latest* posts. But “Latest Posts” does not equal “New Posts” (which shows everything, including stuff in the Projects forum which do NOT show up on the home page.)

This is why I don’t go to the home page if I want to see every post made since my last visit.

The only way I can find this thread is if anyone makes a comment against it, likewise my cabinet of curiosities. Well I can find it but how does anyone else?
They don't, not if they don't know about it and only check the front page. I bookmarked terse fragments in my browser(s) so I can get there directly without having to click around. If I were looking for your thread, and no one had posted to it recently, I'd have to dig it out of the threads in the forums list or else search for cabinet or sinnerjohn in a title.

What’s wrong with clicking on What’s New on the Home page. It’s got all the New Posts there.:appsir:
Well for a start, ongoing projects don't show up there.
Correct, but then just click on New Posts which will be sitting right next to What's New (after you click on it). There are several ways to easily find all the new posts, using just 2 clicks/taps.

It's only two clicks? :confused: I mean, try to find a post on Facebook that you remember seeing, or even finding your own photos that you posted.
Hmmm ok maybe my photo was shite but last Sunday I posted an image, it didn't get one like or comment, unusual for MobiTog, like I say maybe it was shite. OR no one can actully see it !!!

Hmmm ok maybe my photo was shite but last Sunday I posted an image, it didn't get one like or comment, unusual for MobiTog, like I say maybe it was shite. OR no one can actully see it !!!
Many people here do not use the "New Posts" way of browsing. I've posted about it many times, and I'm not sure why it isn't everyone's standard way of browsing. It's easy, and you will never miss a post. So yeah, if they just go to the home page or click on What's New, they won't see your post.

Many people here do not use the "New Posts" way of browsing. I've posted about it many times, and I'm not sure why it isn't everyone's standard way of browsing. It's easy, and you will never miss a post. So yeah, if they just go to the home page or click on What's New, they won't see your post.
Test it by posting an image in Catherine's every now and then. By rights this thread should be all over the what's new but I can't even see it ?

Correct, but then just click on New Posts which will be sitting right next to What's New (after you click on it). There are several ways to easily find all the new posts, using just 2 clicks/taps.
Yes, it's not that it can't be done. It's not even that it's hard. But it appears to me that most people aren't doing that. I suspect (without any useful evidence to back it up) that most people hit the front page (because that's where mobitog.com takes you) and work off of that. When we're in browse mode, we generally go with what gets tossed up in our face.

So, you have to know (and then remember later) (and care) that there are more active threads than you can see on the front page. Definitely not obvious to anyone who's relatively new. Should be obvious to anyone who's been around for a while, but again, it requires you to remember. (Nothing wrong with needing to remember things, but it's something we don't always do, at least not without a prod.)

On the other hand, I suspect that if every thread with a new post got listed on the front page, the page load time would suffer. And if every thread with a new post got listed but there was a limit to the number displayed (the most recent 15, for example), then important threads would scroll off the list too quickly.

[Side note: Why do "What's New" and "What's New->New Posts" show me different lists of posts?] -> Not expecting you to answer that, Cat, just thinking out loud.

Back
Top Bottom