terse

IotM May, Nov 20; Jun, Jul, Dec 21; Oct, Nov 22
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Huawei sponsored its own version of the IPPA with its Huawei NEXT-IMAGE Awards for mobile photos, and they tossed quite a bit of cash about in prizes, as you can see in the App Whisperer story here:

And you can see all the winners here:

terse

Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Quote from the App Whisperer article:

This year’s wins come especially well earned as Huawei received a record-breaking number of submissions, with participants from over 120 countries and regions submitting more than 1.19 million incredible entries. With entries up 128 percent since last year’s contest, 2020’s Huawei NEXT-IMAGE Awards was one of the world’s most popular and influential photography competitions.

Winners were chosen from across six categories, with three Grand Prize winners, 15 category winners, 50 runners-up and five Honourable Mentions being awarded. Each Grand Prize winner was given up to $10,000 from the NEXT-IMAGE creation fund, while category winners were awarded $1,000. Winners across all categories were given a Huawei P40 Pro.

terse

Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
That looks like a tasty phone as well, good prize. I assume you had to have a Huawei model to enter?
That's how it looks to me, although since entries are closed at the moment there doesn't seem to be any way to get an official list of requirements for submission.

sinnerjohn

IOTM WInner - April 2022
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Onsite
Project Page
The Huawei P40 Pro might just be my next phone the specs are superb but there's no Google support so it would be like buying an iPhone with no access to the appstore hmm :rolleyes:

rizole

MobiLifer
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Huawei
Onsite
Project Page
The Huawei P40 Pro might just be my next phone the specs are superb but there's no Google support so it would be like buying an iPhone with no access to the appstore hmm :rolleyes:
Apart from google maps you can pretty much get anything you need from other sites. Apkpure.com for example.
Google free for over 4 years.

Last edited:

terse

Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
I guess it's all about selling units in the end, all dressed up as creative arts.
Cynical but apt. Although there's no official connection between the IPPA and Apple, there's no doubt it sells phones for them directly and indirectly. It's unfortunate that the equally large and good MPA and the smaller Mira Mobile Prize get less press that than the IPPA does, but that's the power of Apple's name -- the stories get picked up because "It's Apple!"

I suppose "mobile" as a separate category will fade away eventually.

(By the way, Smithsonian Magazine's annual photo contest has a category for mobile and (a bigger surprise to me) a category for altered photos.)

terse

Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
But you can't enter unless you have an Apple device, official association or not.
Right, and even if it's not the actual company running the contest in Apple's case, as it is in Huawei's, there's little difference in the result (except maybe more prize money in Huawei's contest).

I'm thinking about entering some more general (i.e., not all mobile) contests in the coming year, maybe starting with the Smithsonian (deadline Nov. 30 for this year).

rizole

MobiLifer
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Huawei
Onsite
Project Page
That old phone could come in useful after all except I never did take any decent pics with it!
I'm not sure how you could have not got a good photo from a 40mp device!!
I was disapointed it wasn't substatially better than my phone but it's better than good enough.
IMG_20190421_111354-01.jpeg

ImageArt

IOTM Winner - February 2021
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Yep! I think it’s dumb to single out one mobile phone model.
I totally agree! I bet Apple supports it in some way. I hate to see good mobile photographers restricted because they have a different phone! The problem with MPA is that it’s so darn expensive it ends up doing the same!

ImageArt

IOTM Winner - February 2021
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
I'm not sure how you could have not got a good photo from a 40mp device!!
It was all a bit complicated because the 40mp only kicked in if you used one setting which defeated the purpose of all the cameras and options such as night shots, zoom or portrait. :confused:

I used to zoom into the photo afterwards and be disappointed by all the noise. I personally felt there was a lot of over sharpening. And you know I think you get used to the ‘feel‘ of a certain brand. Although I don’t see it in other people’s photos I saw it in my own.

Top Bottom