• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Discussion: Huawei P20 Pro

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Looking more and more that the P20 pro isn’t the phone of my dreams
Yes, I have to say my expectations were higher :(. So much hype and most actual users say this. Shows you really have to do your homework - which is difficult if you don’t know what the issues are. I really love the more flexible file management system which is where the Apple really sucks for me. I like the slightly smaller footprint and thinness. Also, backup is so much easier for me as a PC person. It took me a whole day to back up my iPhone this time - I put it off too often because it’s such a schlep. Anyhow I am about to go away and will be putting my overseas sim in the Huawei P20 Pro so intend to use this as my main phone - providing I feel I’m getting a decent number of good shots.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet next October and see if Apple’s yearly offering is one I want. Their sales are down and there is talk of them reducing prices so I feel like my abstinence together with everybody else has been worth it if prices are reduced.

Last edited:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I wondered about the Pixel 3 but I have to say I’m not that impressed with the camera. I think the images from it are oversharpened. Strangely enough I still think the P20 Pro has the best camera of the Android phones I have seen. 40Mb in Photo or Pro Mode. Also the Night Mode is good. It’s such a pity that Moment don’t have a case for it. Using the tele and macro lenses with the phone would fill the holes for me. I bought a cheap case from AliExpress which accepts some cheap 17mm lenses I have from the past and I’m keen to try them out on the main lens. I’ve not lost hope in this. I think you just have to get used to the phone and remember that you can’t get closer than 10mm. Also, I think the Camera FV-5 app improves the closer shots.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Yes, I have to say my expectations were higher
This thread is souring me to the P20 pro, thanks for the heads up, it was going to be my next phone but not now.

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong
If you have to read a manual to use the basic functions of a camera then it's a failure of user interface or camera design.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Good question.

I think with the image above, it went into Portrait mode so the exif data on it says 3648x2736, 1.74Mb, which of course isn’t really low res. The exif viewers on the iPad all give different amounts :confused: but my main one does say 1.7Mb. I cropped it significantly to 1897 x 2098, 965kb, only 3.9mp which I would normally consider low res but then it is closeup.

If you shoot in Pro mode the dimensions are 7296x5472, 15Mb, double the size. The white house above was shot with these dimensions. Now if you multiply 7296x5472 it is actually 39.92 MegaPixels. I have to say I often get mixed up with Megabytes and MegaPixels but it looks to me like it does save in 40mp in Photo mode (with Master AI off) and Pro mode but not in the other modes.
Its a beauty, when you say low resolution, what do you actually mean? Photo size? Megapixels?
From what I read it has 40mp but its actually designed to output at 10mp :confused:
By the way the P20 Pro has .heif too.
Well, that’s the impression I got when I first read about it but I’ve been quite impressed with the quick snaps that I have taken although now I realise they weren’t at max resolution. I mean the resolution on this is low but the detail impressive. I cropped and edited it in Snapseed.

View attachment 119558
What a beauty!

I’m also appreciative of all those numbers and things: there’s a difference between detail and resolution, who knew? and it can have 40 but output at ten ?!? for real??!!? and of course I’m genuinely sorry to hear that Master AI has heif and can only wish him a speedy recovery - - - but damn that’s a beautiful picture of a swan!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
What a beauty!

I’m also appreciative of all those numbers and things: there’s a difference between detail and resolution, who knew? and it can have 40 but output at ten ?!? for real??!!? and of course I’m genuinely sorry to hear that Master AI has heif and can only wish him a speedy recovery - - - but damn that’s a beautiful picture of a swan!
Thanks, Jen. Sometimes I think it’s just about luck. :confused:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
sinnerjohn also worth having a look is Oneplus 6/6T. What I read the 6T delivers quite descent shots.
See https://www.dxomark.com/oneplus-6t-review-good-performer/

Some views on top end phones of a photographer: https://www.alessandromichelazzi.com/oneplus-6-photo-camera-review/
(last post about other phones here)
Interesting, Alessandro’s comment underneath his review still seemed to imply that the camera of the Huawei P20 Pro is better but not the Android experience whatever that might mean.
40E1A117-EBF5-42F6-801C-AC34D19F354B.jpeg

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Interesting, Alessandro’s comment underneath his review still seemed to imply that the camera of the Huawei P20 Pro is better but not the Android experience whatever that might mean.
View attachment 120664
He means its a good camera but not a great phone for everything else. Bizarre as it may seem to you Apple fans, the version of Android can vary from handset manufacturer I'm afraid. One of Androids weak points me thinks.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Android can be very different depending on how much it is modified by the manufacturer. So I guess he refers to those modifications.
I'm also had a look at the current top phones, because I'm also looking for a new one. But a lot of the phone won't make it because I got used to a plain Android by my Moto G5+. Samsung won't make it for me because of to much Samsung Apps I don't want.
Also the native photo app can make the difference. Only the manufacturer has access to all features of the hardware because the camera drivers are proprietary. 3rd party apps will only have access to features the manufacturer allows. Means the better the native apps is the better the quality.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Samsung won't make it for me because of to much Samsung Apps I don't want.
This is often said about Samsung but no one actually says what these spurious app are. I've never been outraged at a Samsung app :confused:
Can you give me an example TomHH ?
I'm not a diehard Samsung fan boy, in fact I may change next time to something else, I'm just curious :thumbs:

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
further note: today also the software makes the difference. We reached the days of computational photography. Best example Pixel 3 - not top of the line in regards of hardware but best software. Interesting to read the reviews.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
further note: today also the software makes the difference. We reached the days of computational photography. Best example Pixel 3 - not top of the line in regards of hardware but best software. Interesting to read the reviews.
I was drooling over a Pixel3 XL earlier today :whistle:

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
This is often said about Samsung but no one actually says what these spurious app are. I've never been outraged at a Samsung app :confused:
Can you give me an example TomHH ?
Yes. Our tablet e.g. Galaxy Tab had a modified browser, security app, and so other apps I not even could deactivate nor deinstall. For my taste there was too much from the manufacturer I could not control.

I may be very difficult when it comes to those things because in most cases I use custom ROM which allow me to install the stuff iI like and need.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Yes. Our tablet e.g. Galaxy Tab had a modified browser, security app, and so other apps I not even could deactivate nor deinstall. For my taste there was too much from the manufacturer I could not control.

I may be very difficult when it comes to those things because in most cases I use custom ROM which allow me to install the stuff iI like and need.
I'd run a mile from a Samsung Tablet :lol: Browser just download another, I've never activated the security app on my phone and it doesn't force you to use it.
Other apps well, I do know that people are not pleased you can't delete Facebook but you can deactivate it at least.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
My first impressions of the P20 pro are:
Wow, the battery is still over 80% after 6 hours of use.
128GB of storage?????!!!!"!??>?
The processor is really snappy.
The thing that simply, flawlessly works compared to my Samsung S6 is the fingerprint sensor. Works first time everytime. Sigh!
Just from taking a couple of snaps I can see the quality of the camera is much higher than my current phone. One of the things that's kept me hanging back from upgrading is that the gains in the quality of camera has seemed to slow down over the last couple of years. I forget that I've been working on older technology.... cutting edge tech to be sure but cutting edge a couple of years before I've bought it so I'm 3 or 4 years behind the curve.
Pics tomorrow.