• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

Discussion: Huawei P20 Pro

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
My first impressions of the P20 pro are:
Wow, the battery is still over 80% after 6 hours of use.
128GB of storage?????!!!!"!??>?
The processor is really snappy.
The thing that simply, flawlessly works compared to my Samsung S6 is the fingerprint sensor. Works first time everytime. Sigh!
Just from taking a couple of snaps I can see the quality of the camera is much higher than my current phone. One of the things that's kept me hanging back from upgrading is that the gains in the quality of camera has seemed to slow down over the last couple of years. I forget that I've been working on older technology.... cutting edge tech to be sure but cutting edge a couple of years before I've bought it so I'm 3 or 4 years behind the curve.
Pics tomorrow.
Yes, I have to say I was impressed by the battery.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
Yes, I have to say I was impressed by the battery.
2 and a half hour hike, blue tooth connection to my headphones playing podcasts continuously, Google maps and 80 pics taken. Battery dropped from 40 to 20%. I know this is a site predominantly interested in camera phones but you've gotta love it when they've taken care of the basics. Makes me more confident they've thought through other things properly.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
First Moor walk this year. With the weather perking up I'm looking forward to more soon.
I'm gonna have to go back throght this thread to remind my self of conclusions drawn already but in the meantime here's a few point and shoots from this evening. Edited in snapseed.
IMG_20190419_190350-01.jpeg

IMG_20190419_191113-01.jpeg
IMG_20190419_195223-01.jpeg

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
First Moor walk this year. With the weather perking up I'm looking forward to more soon.
I'm gonna have to go back throght this thread to remind my self of conclusions drawn already but in the meantime here's a few point and shoots from this evening. Edited in snapseed.
View attachment 144444
View attachment 144445View attachment 144446
I love the edge lighting on the sheep in the first one. That camera's doing a really good job in all three of capturing those extremes without freaking out.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
I've largely been pointing and shooting so far and not touched settings to speak of.
First I did a test involving all my old phones. So from left to right and top to bottom we have a HTC desire s, Sony Z3C, Samsung s6 and the p20.
hill.jpg
stamen.jpg

You can quite clearly see the p20 pics are more saturated and Im having the same focus problem with close ups others have noted. The quality jump from the HTC and Sony to the Samsung and Huawei is obvious but I'm not sure there's much to tell between the s6 and p20 and I'm not sure the s6 isn't a little clearer and detailed.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
And a couple from last evenings walk.
No edits and all zoomed in and cropped hard to get into the detail.

S6 in the left, p20 right.
20190419_203428-01-01.jpeg

S6 top. Definitely more structure in the clouds in the p20 pic but the trees in the S6 are clearer and more detailed imo.
20190419_195303-01-01.jpeg

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
And a couple from last evenings walk.
No edits and all zoomed in and cropped hard to get into the detail.

S6 in the left, p20 right. View attachment 144471
S6 top. Definitely more structure in the clouds in the p20 pic but the trees in the S6 are clearer and more detailed imo.
View attachment 144472
In the sunset and house image, I’d be really happy with the first one - not so happy with the second. That one would go in the bin.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I've largely been pointing and shooting so far and not touched settings to speak of.
First I did a test involving all my old phones. So from left to right and top to bottom we have a HTC desire s, Sony Z3C, Samsung s6 and the p20.View attachment 144469

View attachment 144470
You can quite clearly see the p20 pics are more saturated and Im having the same focus problem with close ups others have noted. The quality jump from the HTC and Sony to the Samsung and Huawei is obvious but I'm not sure there's much to tell between the s6 and p20 and I'm not sure the s6 isn't a little clearer and detailed.
S6 for me again here. Definitely takes the sort of image I like.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
It looks to me as though the S6 is applying a lot more in-camera sharpening than the P20. How do pics from the two compare after they've been through your usual editing process?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I prefer the color from the P20, but I find it hard to tell about the detail because the S6 and P20 focused in different places. For what it's worth, I've found that I have to use a manual focus camera app to be sure of the focus on closeups because the autofocus area is big enough that it tends to latch onto things in the background.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Given the s10 is out now my S6 is 4 year old tech I'm unimpressed so far.
So far I think the S6 is better but I did think the native camera app had a big part in being inadequate on the Huawei P20 Pro. I'd be interested to see what you might get with Open Camera. I don't know how the P20 got such rave reviews.

I have to agree with you that despite all these extra cameras, I am not seeing much (if any) improvement in the quality of images over the last 3 years with any of the manufacturers.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I prefer the color from the P20, but I find it hard to tell about the detail because the S6 and P20 focused in different places. For what it's worth, I've found that I have to use a manual focus camera app to be sure of the focus on closeups because the autofocus area is big enough that it tends to latch onto things in the background.
What's your favourite manual app, Ted?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
What's your favourite manual app, Ted?
Depends on when you ask me. :D Right now, for close-as-I-can-get flower shots and such, I've been using CameraPixels because it's easy to lock the focus at its closest point and then move the camera in and out. (I also keep CP around because it can shoot a series of pix at varying focus points to use for focus stacking.) For other, more normal distances, I've been using ProCamera or ProCam (with focus peaking turned on), although at those distances, the autofocus works pretty well most of the time.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Depends on when you ask me. :D Right now, for close-as-I-can-get flower shots and such, I've been using CameraPixels because it's easy to lock the focus at its closest point and then move the camera in and out. (I also keep CP around because it can shoot a series of pix at varying focus points to use for focus stacking.) For other, more normal distances, I've been using ProCamera or ProCam (with focus peaking turned on), although at those distances, the autofocus works pretty well most of the time.
Thanks

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
Wow, just loving the P20 Pro. There’s lots to get used to and therefore quite a few niggles but got some fab images today.

Some of the problems:
  • Even though the resolution is set to 40Mb, the Photo option only seems to be taking 10Mb images so need to investigate that.
  • The screen turns off with the camera open which doesn’t happen with the iPhone. Irritating. Another setting I need to check.
  • Below the camera button are 3 action buttons, and when I’m concentrating on the shot I hit these by mistake and close the window! Also irritating
  • View attachment 119508
The inability to use zoom in any of the options when the resolution is 40Mb is really frustrating. The x2 zoom on my iPhone is invaluable to me.

A big bonus: the battery lasts F-O-R-E-V-E-R :)
Yes, irritating.
That central action button is too close to the space bar of the keyboard. I keep closing apps whilst typing.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
Been mostly in monochrome mode today. I'll often try shooting blind while walking around in crowds with my phone down near my hip where people don't notice it. My Samsung often gives me poor pics with movement blurs and shake. The p20 has been clear of any problems like that today, at least in monochrome.
IMG_20190421_111354-01.jpeg

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Been mostly in monochrome mode today. I'll often try shooting blind while walking around in crowds with my phone down near my hip where people don't notice it. My Samsung often gives me poor pics with movement blurs and shake. The p20 has been clear of any problems like that today, at least in monochrome.
View attachment 144515
This is an amazing shot, especially considering the technique!! :notworthy: I've tried that a few times with horrible results... although that was probably back in my iPhone 4 days.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 144515
I definitely thought the monochrome had potential.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
View attachment 144515
Nice, has this been snapseeded at all rizole ?

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
Why anyone want a someone else's watermark on their pictures is a bit beyond me. Putting the setting just below the resolution setting, making it easy to turn on when the sun's in your face is just irritating.
IMG_20190422_185556-01_1556003953770.jpg

Last edited: