• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Discussion: Huawei P20 Pro

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Yes it has. Here it is next to the unedited pic.
Thanks for the confirming that, I suspected it had. I think the only true test for these camera's is looking what the totally unedited images look like. With editing you can still make a 6 year old device look passable.
I like the slightly edited image better and I guess you do as well, or why would you have done it :zip:

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
A couple of comparisons, both with the same edit in snapseed. S6 on top and P20 below.
20190421_124807-01.jpeg
IMG_20190421_124746-01_1556002454615.jpg

I do like the 4:3 aspect ratio of the P20. It gets more in the shot. I also like the colour but it may be a bit too saturated and with too much cyan in.
20190421_124807-01-02.jpeg
IMG_20190421_124746-01_1556002454615-02.jpeg

Zooming in again, the S6 (above) has white edging around all the bare branches so I think you may be right terse, there's sharpening going on there.
The P20 doesn't but look at all that noise in the blue of the sky

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The P20's colours are more pleasing and there seems to be more detail in there.
How funny, because I thought the opposite. :D I thought that the S6 image had a lot more detail in the brickwork, which the P20 seems to have removed. The sky colour of the P20 looks a bit too turquoise to me.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
How funny, because I thought the opposite. :D I thought that the S6 image had a lot more detail in the brickwork, which the P20 seems to have removed. The sky colour of the P20 looks a bit too turquoise to me.
Maybe I need an eye test :D I do like oversaturated images tbh.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I'm impressed with the zoom.
Here's a crop from unzoomed pics. S6 on the left, P20 on the right. These were taken on different days under different conditions but I'm only really interested in the zoom for this.
Because the zoom only works on the 10mp camera the image is smaller and over all quality (debatably) worse.
The S6 original is 5312*2988
The P20 original is 3648x2736.
20190425_113831-01.jpeg
IMG_20190423_124856-01.jpeg

But it's a different story when we start zooming. These are still cropped.
This is at X5 zoom. S6 top P20 bottom.
Although zoomed in, the detail in the S6 pic has increased but not by much and I certainly wouldn't be using this picture for anything.
20190425_113837-01.jpeg

The detail in the P20 OTOH is a whole different ball game and the camera is resolving much more.
IMG_20190423_124903-01.jpeg

The highest magnification on the S6 is 8X and the picture quality is now declining.

20190425_113845-01.jpeg

At a max of X10, the P20 is still pulling out more detail. It's not a great shot but I almost never use the zoom on my S6 because it's easier to crop and often with better results. The quality on the P20 is worth exploring.
IMG_20190423_124913-01.jpeg

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Here's a crop from unzoomed pics. S6 on the left, P20 on the right. These were taken on different days under different conditions but I'm only really interested in the zoom for this.
Because the zoom only works on the 10mp camera the image is smaller and over all quality (debatably) worse.
View attachment 144635View attachment 144636

Although zoomed in, the detail in the S6 pic has increased but not by much and I certainly wouldn't be using this picture for anything.
View attachment 144637
The detail in the P20 OTOH is a whole different ball game and the camera is resolving much more.
View attachment 144638
The highest magnification on the S6 is 8X and the picture quality is now declining.

View attachment 144639
At a max of X10, the P20 is still pulling out more detail. It's not a great shot but I almost never use the zoom on my S6 because it's easier to crop and often with better results. The quality on the P20 is worth exploring.
View attachment 144640
Now that I AM impressed with!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Wow.... that is impressive.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 144635View attachment 144636

View attachment 144637
View attachment 144638

View attachment 144639
View attachment 144640
I have to say I didn’t use the zoom much. I’d love to see this compared against the Google Pixel 3

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
This is a series of the Pixel 3 - always cropped to half width with Snapseed:
IMG_20190426_000533-01.jpeg
IMG_20190426_000538-01.jpeg
IMG_20190426_000543-01.jpeg
MVIMG_20190426_000547-01.jpeg
MVIMG_20190426_000551-01.jpeg

Up to 3x zoom it works quite well if you don't have too much details in the scene, otherwise it gets quite blurry.
So stuff like buildings with lines work okay, leafs of trees will get blurry.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
P20 Pro Conclusions.

[RHETORIC]Do I even want a new phone?[/RHETORIC]

I have 4 year old tech but now I've had the opportunity to test drive a current top range phone with cutting edge camera technology, (thank you ImageArt ) the things I'm enjoying about it the most are:
  • Battery life
  • Storage space
  • A reliable fingerprint sensor
  • A snappier processor
  • The battery life of my bluetooth headphones is displayed with other notifications - okay, this stopped being a buzz quite quickly and I assume it's an android and not a Huawei thing anyway....still.
The camera has some nice features that are an improvement on my S6 but the overall point and shoot quality is arguably similar and perhaps slightly poorer.
What I do like is:
  • 4:3 aspect ratio as default - I've not worked in that format much for a few years so it's making me rethink composition a bit.
  • The zoom is quite impressive I think
  • A B&W mode - but I could just use lenka I guess
  • Night mode looks like it has potential but I've not had enough of a chance to test it properly
But none of this is inspiring me. When I pick up a DSLR camera my style, attitude, perception, framing, attack, even thought processes, it's all different to when using a phone camera. And when I got my Samsung S6 it was an upgrade to my Sony Z3C. That opened new photographic opportunities. I revisited things I'd tried before that didn't work and pulled it off with the better tech. I had new ideas, was more creative and experimental. My output and quality increased, it was an upgrade on the tech but also in my practice.

I'm not getting any of that with the Huawei. There are things I'd like to try out that I haven't yet and I'm sure there are some features and settings I've missed that will impress me (like the zoom has) but it feels a bit pedestrian. I'd get round to checking them out, just like I'd visit every room in a house I'd bought but I'm mostly a point and shoot photographer and I spend my time in the photographic equivalent of the bedroom, kitchen and living room and care less for the utility room and attic.

TL;DR
The P20 Pro is an improvement to my Samsung S6 but it's not an upgrade and doesn't enhance or significantly expand my photography. Maybe my opening statement wasn't rhetoric. Do I need a new phone if what I want is a game changer but the current tech has matured and plateaued?

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Wow, the battery is still over 80% after 6 hours of use.
128GB of storage?????!!!!"!??>?
The processor is really snappy.
The thing that simply, flawlessly works compared to my Samsung S6 is the fingerprint sensor. Works first time everytime. Sigh!
Just checked back on this thread and it seems my first impressions are pretty much my last impressions too. I got the phone on the 19th April. It changed from excitement to business as usual in under two weeks.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Remember the P20 pro is now a year old and the P30 pro is the new kid on the block. Where does it end? Never probably !

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Remember the P20 pro is now a year old and the P30 pro is the new kid on the block. Where does it end? Never probably !
There is that but I remember Dx0 Mark changed thier marking system a year or 2 ago. It makes me think that when a curve flattens out, change the scale to make it look more impressive. I'll check out the pixel3 thread on here but I wonder if ImageArt is right when she says what we're really looking for is a dslr.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Those new phones are meant to be point and shoot cameras. They will not offer you the same features and settings as a real camera would do. This a also related to one major fact - all cameras have a fix aperture!
This is the main downside for me. Also those amazing picture qualities will only be provided by the cameras auto mode. When you switch to manual mode (if it has one) you mostly get everage results.

I would be pretty confident with my previous Moto G5 and would probably still own and use it if we wouldn't changed phones within the family. E. g. my Pixel is nice but not a deal breaker.

So I'm totally with Rizole.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
but I wonder if @ImageArt is right when she says what we're really looking for is a dslr.
Or maybe we're at the point where camera choice fades into the background and there's just image-making.

I've had a similar experience jumping from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone Xs. In this case, the images are definitely better but not in a way that makes you go "Oh wow!" at first glance. It's a two generation jump, so I do get some new things like portrait mode, but the biggest improvement for me has been having the 2x tele lens (which I could have had if I'd gotten the 7 Plus instead of the 7).

I suspect we're at a temporary plateau as far as wow factor goes for cameraphones.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
There is that but I remember Dx0 Mark changed thier marking system a year or 2 ago. It makes me think that when a curve flattens out, change the scale to make it look more impressive. I'll check out the pixel3 thread on here but I wonder if ImageArt is right when she says what we're really looking for is a dslr.
Or maybe we're at the point where camera choice fades into the background and there's just image-making.

I've had a similar experience jumping from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone Xs. In this case, the images are definitely better but not in a way that makes you go "Oh wow!" at first glance. It's a two generation jump, so I do get some new things like portrait mode, but the biggest improvement for me has been having the 2x tele lens (which I could have had if I'd gotten the 7 Plus instead of the 7).

I suspect we're at a temporary plateau as far as wow factor goes for cameraphones.
This is exactly how I feel. My iPhone 7+ does everything I need. The x2 zoom is the thing that made it phenomenal for me. The Moment lenses also add something special particularly the macro lens. No camera phone I have seen since gives me anything extra.

When I got the Huawei P20 Pro I thought that it was just me, that an Android user would make a better job of using it than I would but I am relieved to see that rizole has found it to be as mundane as I have. It’s even felt like a downgrade and I totally feel more comfortable and happy with my 7+ images.

I think the only thing that would make the iPhone better for me now is a larger optical zoom and better night shots.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Phone and facts should not play a role at all! It's about taking photos and improving skills - that's all.