Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Discussion: I’m Looking for an app...

Discussion in 'Apps Chat' started by FundyBrian, 7 October 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve been working on an idea involving a double exposure app. The idea is to combine a sharp image with a slow shutter version of the same thing. So far, none of the double exposure apps have any control over the camera settings so all the exposures are the same. Flowers, plants, trees, etc., blowing in the wind. A flag blowing in the wind. A car driving past. I want a sharp leading edge with a progressively stretched and blurred trailing edge.
    Let’s suppose I was photographing a car passing by by panning with it. I couldn’t stop in the middle and change settings or shoot with another app.
    On a DSLR I could do that in a single exposure by combining flash with a slow shutter speed.
    I explored apps capable of triggering an electronic flash from the iPhone but haven’t found the right thing yet.
    I have tried combining pictures made with two different apps in a layers app but getting the same colour rendition and alignment from two different cameras is an issue.
    Im not looking for an app that just blurs the background. I want to blur the subject and leave the background alone.
    As they say, “There’s an app for that”, and maybe there is.
    Maybe there’s an app that just simulates the effect I’m after by smearing a single image.

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

OK, maybe I need another app like I need a hole in the head since I currently have 578 apps on my iPhone, but there’s still lots of space so why not.

Last edited: 7 October 2018
    JillyG likes this.
  2. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    I'd guess using the Freeze slider in Slow Shutter Cam doesn't do want you want. How about shooting a burst, setting the first image aside, combining the rest of the images into a blur, and then combining that with the first?

zenjenny, JillyG and FundyBrian like this.
  3. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    That’s a good suggestion. I’d be worried about getting steps in the blurred area. I’ll have to try it to see how it works.

JillyG likes this.
  4. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Or I guess you could do the same thing with a Live Photo.

ImageArt, RoseCat and JillyG like this.
  5. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I’m not sure that this is what you want but Enlight’s Quikshot app has a function called Strobe. You can get it without subscription but when you open the app, it looks like you can only use the app with a subscription but there’s a tiny cross in the top left corner and if you press this you get out of the subscription screen. Cheeky. I didn’t realise this and paid for the subscription for a month just to try it out but didn’t get a chance to try it out much and now the month is over.

Once you have taken the shot it actually let’s you delete any parts of the strobe effect that you don’t like or bring it back. It seems to me that the last shot in the sequence is a full shot. It’s clearly an overlay of shots so won’t be smooth. It seems to be set for about 3 secs and there doesn’t seem to be a way of changing this although it may be available under subscription. I must have another go with it.
    4B409C83-BAD4-48E5-A47C-B8ECEFA87A77.jpeg

FundyBrian likes this.
  6. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    This sounds like an interesting idea. You could duplicate the Live Photo and then overlay the Long Exposure version with any one of the other images extracted using Live2Photo.

FundyBrian and terse like this.
  7. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I was watching a video this morning about the layers stack function in Affinity. It could easily do a strobe effect using a stack of burst mode photos. Likewise, it can make people disappear from a crowded city view, just depending on the blend mode.
    However, the strobe effect is not what I’m after in this case but one sharp version mixed with a smoothly blurred subject. Not blurring the background as well, just the subject.
    I’m getting a better sense of how I could do it manually. I just hoped there would be a multiple exposure app with more control over the individual exposures.
    I want to avoid the stutter effect caused by making a series of fast shutter shots and blending them together. I want the real long shutter speed look.

ImageArt likes this.