MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
I was under the impression the iCloud only stored your most recent 1,000 photos in photo stream. I just found this :
iCloud: Photo Stream limits

There is no limit to the number of photos you can upload to Photo Stream over time, but iCloud limits the number of photos that can be uploaded within a given hour, day, or month to prevent unintended or excessive use.
Photo Stream upload limits

The Photo Stream limits below are established based on anticipated upload patterns. Currently, Photo Stream upload limits are as follows:
  • Uploads to My Photo Stream per hour: 1,000 photos
  • Uploads to My Photo Stream per day: 10,000 photos
  • Uploads to My Photo Stream per month: 25,000 photos
If you exceed one of these limits, your uploads to Photo Stream will be paused temporarily and you may see a notification message on your device. Your uploads will resume automatically once you no longer exceed one of the limits (such as the following hour or day).
Shared Photo Stream limits

The current Shared Photo Stream hourly and daily limits are as follows:
  • Maximum number of photos to share per hour: 1,000
  • Maximum number of photos to share per day: 10,000
These sharing limits are separate from the upload limits above. For example, in the same day you could upload 10,000 photos to My Photo Stream and then share those 10,000 photos, or 10,000 other photos.
Some additional limits for Shared Photo Stream usage:
  • Maximum shared streams an owner can share: 100
  • Maximum shared streams a user can subscribe to: 100
  • Maximum subscribers per shared stream: 100 (the number of subscribers on each shared stream)
  • Maximum number of photos per shared stream: 1,000
  • Maximum number of comments per shared stream photo: 200 (a comment can be either a like or a text entry)
  • Maximum characters per comment: 200
  • Maximum number of invites a shared stream owner may send per day: 200
Notes

• There is no limit to the amount of photos you can upload to Photo Stream over longer periods (such as several months or years). Photos uploaded to Photo Stream are not counted against your iCloud Storage.
  • The following image file types are supported for Photo Stream: JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and RAW.
  • When importing photos to an iPad using the Camera Connection Kit, photos are stored directly to Camera Roll. Thus, if Photo Stream is enabled and you are connected to a wireless network, you could potentially reach any of the limits listed above. To avoid this, disable Photo Stream when importing photos to iPad when using the Camera Connection Kit.
  • When importing large numbers of photos to either iPhoto or Aperture, you could potentially reach any of the limits listed above if you have selected Automatic Upload in the Photo Stream preferences. Note that both iPhoto and Aperture will pause uploading to Photo Stream once the maximum has been reached. Uploading will automatically restart at the next hour, day, or month, depending on which limit was reached.
Last Modified: Jul 23, 2013

Sooooo... are ALL my photos in iCloud somewhere, and I just have the most recent 1,000 showing on my iDevices? If so, how do I get to iCloud to see ALL my photos? Is that iPhoto on my computer?

I don't know WHY this is always so confusing to me... <sigh> :confused: :barf:

You can find all the answers here dear Cat:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4486

This is what you are looking for:

The photos you upload to My Photo Stream are stored in iCloud for 30 days to give your devices plenty of time to connect and download them.

Your iOS devices keep a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos in the My Photo Stream album. From there, you can browse your recent photos or move the ones you like to your Camera Roll or another album to keep them on your device forever.

Since your Mac and PC have more storage than your iOS devices, you can choose to have all of your My Photo Stream photos automatically downloaded. In iPhoto or Aperture preferences on your Mac, be sure to select Photo Stream > My Photo Stream > Automatic Import. All of your photo stream photos will be imported into your Events, Projects, Photos, Faces, and Places folders in iPhoto or Aperture. On your PC with Photo Stream enabled in the Control Panel, all of your photos will be imported into C:\Users\<user name>\Pictures\Photo Stream\My Photo Stream.

You can find all the answers here dear Cat:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4486

This is what you are looking for:

The photos you upload to My Photo Stream are stored in iCloud for 30 days to give your devices plenty of time to connect and download them.

Your iOS devices keep a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos in the My Photo Stream album. From there, you can browse your recent photos or move the ones you like to your Camera Roll or another album to keep them on your device forever.

Since your Mac and PC have more storage than your iOS devices, you can choose to have all of your My Photo Stream photos automatically downloaded. In iPhoto or Aperture preferences on your Mac, be sure to select Photo Stream > My Photo Stream > Automatic Import. All of your photo stream photos will be imported into your Events, Projects, Photos, Faces, and Places folders in iPhoto or Aperture. On your PC with Photo Stream enabled in the Control Panel, all of your photos will be imported into C:\Users\<user name>\Pictures\Photo Stream\My Photo Stream.
THANK YOU Fabio!!! I believe I set that up on my Mac, but I better double check. I think I must have a mental block with this stuff... o_O

Apple needs to enable all your photos to go to iCloud so that you can access them from ANY device! It's great that they're on my Mac, but if I want to access a photo on my iPad or iPhone, I'd have to go to my Mac and transfer it back, right? That's dumb... I can't believe there's no iCloud website where everything can be accessed from everywhere. :mad:

THANK YOU Fabio!!! I believe I set that up on my Mac, but I better double check. I think I must have a mental block with this stuff... o_O

Apple needs to enable all your photos to go to iCloud so that you can access them from ANY device! It's great that they're on my Mac, but if I want to access a photo on my iPad or iPhone, I'd have to go to my Mac and transfer it back, right? That's dumb... I can't believe there's no iCloud website where everything can be accessed from everywhere. :mad:

No Cat, it's a bit different. After 30 days your photos are deleted from the cloud so your iPhoto needs to be connected to the cloud before Apple delete them.

If I take a photo now with my iPhone (and the iPhone is connected) the image will be sent to the Cloud and will be there for 30 days, after that will be deleted and no longer available. During these 30 days all my devices and my Mac (iPhoto) can download this image from the cloud.

I don't know if it's clear now. :)

No Cat, it's a bit different. After 30 days your photos are deleted from the cloud so your iPhoto needs to be connected to the cloud before Apple delete them.

If I take a photo now with my iPhone (and the iPhone is connected) the image will be sent to the Cloud and will be there for 30 days, after that will be deleted and no longer available. During these 30 days all my devices and my Mac (iPhoto) can download this image from the cloud.

I don't know if it's clear now. :)
Ooooh... :thumbs:

And I just checked iPhoto on my Mac.... The Photostream part has the most recent 1,000 photos, but under "Photos" it has everything. I had it set up to download automatically so I guess it does it even if I don't open up iPhoto, because I hardly ever do.

Thanks for your help Fabio! Sorry if I'm being dense.... :D

I would love it if someone who is much savvier than I am could sit down with me, with all my Macs and iOS devices, with external hard drives, wireless routers and extenders, and show me how to deal with all the conflicts, duplication and backups, for organizing and clearing out. Because I have worked with Macs since 1984, I have carried old myths, voodoo, unnecessary baggage, and faulty assumptions, through changing operating systems. Now, things are NOT working very well. I don't want do a totally fresh wipe and reinstall, because I am not organized enough to have all the disks and resources in one place, and am concerned that I will lose what functioning (with spinning pizza wheels) I do have. My current solution is to live in the moment, avoid my MacBook Pro's, except for backing up, iPads and iPhone, while sprinkling Holy Water, burning smudge sticks, and doing the hokey-pokey, as I pray to Steve Jobs to be with me in my moment of need. Could someone please make an app for clarity and priorities? Sad, but true, I am the technical support person for my family and friends, but now I need a computer cowboy of my very own.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Cat, remember that Photo Stream downsizes images. The 3000 pixel wide image is from my camera roll. The smaller is from Photo Stream.

View attachment 40870 View attachment 40871 Cat, remember that Photo Stream downsizes images. The 3000 pixel wide image is from my camera roll. The smaller is from Photo Stream.
Oh yeah right..... Does that mean that photos in iPhoto are downsized because they get there via Photo Stream? (Ugh... more questions, sorry.) :barf:

Well, I do have everything go into Drop Box also, so those will be full sized.

Yes, they are downsized if they go to your laptop iPhoto via Photo Stream, but not (I think) if you transfer through DropBox, iTunes, or a wireless transfer app. When I am moving fast, and need an image quickly, I send myself an email, to and from my MacBook Pro, or if I need a few more images, I use wireless transfer.

I take pics from my camera roll and use the transfer app to send them to my IPad. Then my i pad automatically saves them in drop box where I can access them on any of my devices. On my IPad I go to Photosoector to organize them. This part I am still learning. No loss of resolution, which happens in photostream

I just upgraded my Dropbox account today so I have plenty of room now. It makes me feel safe having it in case something happens with my Mac or external hard drive. :D

I'm hoping that my Apple 1:1 classes(es) re iPhoto will be the shining light I need; otherwise I'll be sprinkling the holy water and praying to Steve Jobs as well. What type of external hard drives do y'all have (e.g. brand, capacity, etc.). That is going to be my next purchase.

I have more multi-terabyte drives than I am willing to admit to, including one 2TB Iomega Home Media Hard Drive Personal Cloud (Wireless), for which I had forgotten the password, but it would still show up on my Apple TV... And because you posted this, I sat down and remembered my password... like a MIRACLE! Now I will see if I am willing to re-engage with it. I will report back. I have Fantoms, Western Digitals, and LaCies. All have been relyable for me. I like the LaCie Rugged, a USB powered portable, but mine has less capacity than my tethered-to-power hard drives, so I back up to the clunky external drives.

I have more multi-terabyte drives than I am willing to admit to, including one 2TB Iomega Home Media Hard Drive Personal Cloud (Wireless), for which I had forgotten the password, but it would still show up on my Apple TV... And because you posted this, I sat down and remembered my password... like a MIRACLE! Now I will see if I am willing to re-engage with it. I will report back. I have Fantoms, Western Digitals, and LaCies. All have been relyable for me. I like the LaCie Rugged, a USB powered portable, but mine has less capacity than my tethered-to-power hard drives, so I back up to the clunky external drives.
Wow!!! I think I have a lot to learn. I would also think 1TB would be enough for me. Glad you remembered your password!!

View attachment 40870 View attachment 40871 Cat, remember that Photo Stream downsizes images. The 3000 pixel wide image is from my camera roll. The smaller is from Photo Stream.

Yes Carolyn this is one of the main Photostream issues and this is why I don't use it and I'm still using the fastest way to back up my images:
Connect my iPhone and iPad thruogh an USB port and copy all the image folders on my PC/MAC.

I found this article that explain how to do it:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-iphone-picture-folder-its-plugged-computer-58766.html

Yes Carolyn this is one of the main Photostream issues and this is why I don't use it and I'm still using the fastest way to back up my images:
Connect my iPhone and iPad thruogh an USB port and copy all the image folders on my PC/MAC.

I found this article that explain how to do it:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/open-iphone-picture-folder-its-plugged-computer-58766.html
Thank you, Fabio! I lived and painted in Rome in 1974 through 1975, and love your city. I am living north of Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, now. I think of it as my little Italy, a slice of heaven.

Back
Top Bottom