MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
My stupid iMac (model=late 2009) isn't showing any images in iPhoto since Oct 2016. [emoji15] :barf: [emoji35] I've turned off iCloud on the Mac, rebooted and turned it back on, and it actually removed some images (it was showing more but not all up to current date.) This coincides with when I upgraded to Sierra, which I regret so much because the computer has been virtually unusable since then. [emoji31]

In iCloud Settings on the Mac iCloud Photo Library is checked, and it says "Uploading 17,442 Items (1.97 GB of 40.71 GB) but the status bar/numbers never move or change and no images are added. All my images are shown on my iPhone and iPad, just not the iMac.

HELP!!!!!! [emoji35][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]

...I have a feeling I'm going to have to schlep it to an Apple Genius Bar. :barf:

It's the regular photo app that's on the computer. ??

Yes. Photos has replaced iPhoto on the Mac. You will find Photos integrates better with Photos on your devices. You should try Photos on your Mac and see if it works better with iCloud. Photos should be there already if you have Sierra.
I don't think iPhoto knows what to do with Live Photos. The Photos app on Mac is the only one I've seen that backs up Live Photos without splitting them into 2 parts.

It's the regular photo app that's on the computer. ??

Yes, Apple should've converted your iPhotos library to Photos... I went back (with the help of Apple Forums) for a while, then I caved and now use Photos... considering moving on to Adobe PhotoShop Elements (on sale right now)...

Oops... Looks like Brian already covered the conversion ;)

Yes, Apple should've converted your iPhotos library to Photos... I went back (with the help of Apple Forums) for a while, then I caved and now use Photos... considering moving on to Adobe PhotoShop Elements (on sale right now)...

Oops... Looks like Brian already covered the conversion ;)

It might say Photos for all I know... my problem is that it's not bringing in the photos from iCloud.

EDIT: my stupid iMac (model=late 2009) isn't showing any images in iPhoto since Oct 2016. [emoji15] :barf: [emoji35] I've turned off iCloud on the Mac, rebooted and turned it back on, and it actually removed some images (it was showing more but not all up to current date.) This coincides with when I upgraded to Sierra, which I regret so much because the computer has been virtually unusable since then. [emoji31]

In iCloud Settings on the Mac iCloud Photo Library is checked, and it says "Uploading 17,442 Items (1.97 GB of 40.71 GB) but the status bar/numbers never move or change and no images are added. All my images are shown on my iPhone and iPad, just not the iMac.

HELP!!!!!! [emoji35][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100][emoji100]

I tried to update my late 2009 MacBook Pro to Sierra (back around Christmas time) and got a notice saying my computer would not support Sierra. It still runs great in every way except it won't run Sierra. Updating my hard drive to a 750GB SSD drive made it seem like a new computer. Starts up from off in under 30 seconds.

Check to see if there is someplace in Photos (on Mac) where you need to sign in to iCloud.

I've checked all that... [emoji1360] Notes is syncing just fine on the iMac...it's only Photos that isn't. [emoji31][emoji43][emoji37]

Note: the iMac is syncing my Notes just fine through iCloud... its only the Photos that aren't coming through. :barf:

If you go to icloud.com, sign in, and check the Photos section, is there anything?
I forgot the web version even existed, LOL!! Yes... they are all there and up to date. It's only Photos on my iMac that's effed up. Even my Notes on the iMac have synced.

Here's a give-it-a-swift-kick sort of thing to try. Launch Photos (not iPhoto if by chance you still have both on your iMac). Open Photos preferences. Click the iCloud icon to get here:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.56.48 AM.jpg

If iCloud Photo Library is unchecked, as here, you need to check it.

If iCloud Photo Library is checked (most likely), uncheck it, close prefs, quit Photos, and restart your iMac. The open Photos, check the iCloud Photo Library pref once more, quit Photos, and again restart your iMac. See if that unsticks your Photos sync.

I don't use iCloud for storing photos, but if I did, I'd select Download Originals to This Mac, not Optimize Mac Storage.

(Apologies if you've already tried this.)

Here's a give-it-a-swift-kick sort of thing to try. Launch Photos (not iPhoto if by chance you still have both on your iMac). Open Photos preferences. Click the iCloud icon to get here:

View attachment 88640

If iCloud Photo Library is unchecked, as here, you need to check it.

If iCloud Photo Library is checked (most likely), uncheck it, close prefs, quit Photos, and restart your iMac. The open Photos, check the iCloud Photo Library pref once more, quit Photos, and again restart your iMac. See if that unsticks your Photos sync.

I don't use iCloud for storing photos, but if I did, I'd select Download Originals to This Mac, not Optimize Mac Storage.

(Apologies if you've already tried this.)
I have tried this.... it didn't work, and this is what it shows:

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpeg

It claims it's updating 17,000+ photos, but the bar never changes or moves along. I've tried clicking on the pause for a day, then starting it again, unchecking, restarting computer, etc. and nothing ever changes. The last imported photo was from October 8, 2016 (I updated to Sierra on January 24, 2017.)

I'm feeling like there's no way to fix anything, unless Apple can put it back a couple iOS's when it was working fine. Sierra is a nightmare - it constantly freezes up or I get the rainbow spinner and have to hard reset the computer. That happens almost every time I spend any amount of time on it... so I rarely even bother using it now. :(

EDIT: I tried your suggestion above one more time.... it's now pulled in an image I took today, but nothing in between October 8th------->now. :confused: :barf: :angry:

I'd guess it's not something that's Sierra-specific (esp. since your other syncs are working) but something in this particular process that's gotten tangled. Since you're seeing other problems with your system as well, you could try downloading the latest combo updater for Sierra and applying it. (The combo updater includes all the updates from the original release, not just from the previous release. Sometimes applying this cleans up things that have been munged.)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1905

If it were me (and since you do see your photos on iCloud), I'd click the Turn Off button, let it do its thing, restart, and then turn it back on again.

EDIT: I tried your suggestion above one more time.... it's now pulled in an image I took today, but nothing in between October 8th------->now. :confused: :barf: :angry:
Well, give it a little time to see if it starts downloading more. (Your 40GB of photos is going to take a while. On my internet connection it'd probably take two days or more.)

This has been an education about iCloud. I can see it wouldn't work on our limited satellite system. I would quickly go into penalty mode and be reduced to dial-up speed for the rest of the month. I always dreaded what would happen if I ever pressed start with iCloud.

---->UGH<----
:angry:

None of my photos from the past two weeks are showing up on my iPad now either!! I've given up on the iMac, but have never had any issues with my iPad. I've turned iCloud on the iPad off/on... restarted it.... NOTHING. :mad:

Under General... Make sure your library is, I believe, System Library (Photo Stream). Mine loses that connection all too often. I don't use the Cloud.
I don't see anything like that under General? But under Photos & Camera I have these:

IMG_6102.JPG

Everything was syncing fine before I left on my trip. I turned off the iPad since I was going to be gone for two weeks, but it's been on all weekend and not one image has come through.

Between my iMac and iPad, I'm so *over* my devices. :mad:

On your Mac... where you were before... not the iPad or iPhone.

In Photos >> Preferences >> General
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 6.24.07 PM.png

The button that says "Use as System Photo Library" keeps turning off on mine, then my Photo Stream does not update... when the button is greyed-out as above, my stream updates.
(Don't pay attention to the Library Location, I redirect mine to my Drobo.)

I have two iPads, an iMac, MacBook Pro, and two iPhones. As I said, I don't use iCloud... I backup my photos elsewhere... Google Photos, Microsoft, Flickr and Crash Plan.

On your Mac... where you were before... not the iPad or iPhone.

In Photos >> Preferences >> General
View attachment 95573

The button that says "Use as System Photo Library" keeps turning off on mine, then my Photo Stream does not update... when the button is greyed-out as above, my stream updates.
(Don't pay attention to the Library Location, I redirect mine to my Drobo.)

I have two iPads, an iMac, MacBook Pro, and two iPhones. As I said, I don't use iCloud... I backup my photos elsewhere... Google Photos, Microsoft, Flickr and Crash Plan.
:notworthy: ! :notworthy: ! :notworthy:

I had the "Use as System Photo Library" selected/grayed out, but for some reason the "My Photo Stream" was unchecked!! :confused: :alien: I'm sure I wouldn't have unchecked that.... maybe because I turned the Mac off?? Who knows. In any case.... THANK YOU!!! :D All photos now showing in iPad.

:notworthy: ! :notworthy: ! :notworthy:

I had the "Use as System Photo Library" selected/grated out, but for some reason the "My Photo Stream" was unchecked!! :confused: :alien: I'm sure I wouldn't have unchecked that.... maybe because I turned the Mac off?? Who knows. In any case.... THANK YOU!!! :D All photos now showing in iPad.

WHEW!! That is good news!! I wish Apple would fix Photos... IMO

Back
Top Bottom