CLOSED iCloud Photos Not Syncing

And just like that....

IT WORKS. :confused:

The only things that changed:
  1. I changed my iCloud password
  2. I turned my iMac off for 2 weeks while I was away on vacation
I got back home from my trip, turned on the computer, and all my photos up to July 25th were in my Photos app on my iMac. :alien: Then I had to re-sign into iCloud because of the password change (this came AFTER I saw that my photos up to July 25th had been magically imported.) I decided to restart the computer again, opened Photos, and....... nothing.......... until a few minutes went by and all the images from July 26-present starting appearing.

WEIRD.
But I'm happy! :D

And just like that....

I got back home from my trip, turned on the computer, and all my photos up to July 25th were in my Photos app on my iMac. :alien: Then I had to re-sign into iCloud because of the password change (this came AFTER I saw that my photos up to July 25th had been magically imported.) I decided to restart the computer again, opened Photos, and....... nothing.......... until a few minutes went by and all the images from July 26-present starting appearing.

WEIRD.

Yay!

And just like that....

WEIRD.
AND........ Just. Like. That. it has stopped working again. The last image on my iMac's Photos is dated August 24 and it won't import again.

I effing give up.

:angry:

Some time ago you mentioned having problems with Sierra. I just recently updated my iMac to Sierra 10.12.6 with no problems at all. I had to take it with me to Fredericton to get to a decent high speed connection to do the updates. That's the main reason why I delayed so long.
I sympathize about your iCloud issue. I have no experience with it but I don't think it will work for me due to limited internet specs.

Mine has to be changed nearly every launch. Considering a replacement for Photos.
I'm afraid to ever do another OS update, but then I think maybe the next one will fix it?? Either that or render my Mac useless. :barf:

What do you guys think?

I'm afraid to ever do another OS update, but then I think maybe the next one will fix it?? Either that or render my Mac useless. :barf:

What do you guys think?
I think that online services, including cloud services, have always been the weakest part of Apple's game. The ideas may be good, but the execution is average at best and more often mediocre and overly complicated to use. I think perhaps the online services division is headquartered on another planet.

I tried iCloud for various things but gave up because it was giving me no benefits for a lot of headaches. Now I just use it to sync Safari bookmarks across devices.

Since I'm home a lot, what I do is dump my photos to local storage over my home wifi. If I were going to be traveling, I'd get one or more of those Lightning/USB flash drives.

I think that online services, including cloud services, have always been the weakest part of Apple's game. The ideas may be good, but the execution is average at best and more often mediocre and overly complicated to use. I think perhaps the online services division is headquartered on another planet.

I tried iCloud for various things but gave up because it was giving me no benefits for a lot of headaches. Now I just use it to sync Safari bookmarks across devices.

Since I'm home a lot, what I do is dump my photos to local storage over my home wifi. If I were going to be traveling, I'd get one or more of those Lightning/USB flash drives.
Do you think I should continue to upgrade to the next OS? I don't want to eventually brick my iMac. :eek:

Do you think I should continue to upgrade to the next OS? I don't want to eventually brick my iMac. :eek:
Unless the next Mac OS adds something you really really want or need, there's no need to rush. Eventually Apple will stop issuing security updates for your current Mac OS, and at that point you'll probably need to update (assuming the new OS supports whatever iMac you have). Until that point, though, you can sit tight as long as your iMac is working well and doing what you need. Or you can update any time in between if it comes to seem like a good idea.

I doubt that the new OS will make much difference in iCloud operations, but that's something we'll learn over the next month or two.

Don't be mislead by people who update right away just to see what happens. (Yes, I'm one of those people and have the blue smoke merit badge to prove it.)

IMG_8394.JPG

Last edited:
Don't be mislead by people who update right away just to see what happens. (Yes, I'm one of those people and have the blue smoke merit badge to prove it.)
Yep. Been there. :rolleyes:

Okay, maybe this next one I won't update. Unless I learn somehow that it might fix my iCloud issues. :barf:

Thanks, Ted. :inlove:

p.s. LOL at that badge!!

Mine has to be changed nearly every launch. Considering a replacement for Photos.

My iMac is now running Sierra, latest update, and the Photos app works just fine. The update didn't affect it at all. I use it mainly for Live Photo backup. No cloud stuff for me. My normal backup plan is on a local hard drive via Lightroom. Mostly bullet proof. Occasionally Lightroom does weird things but goes back to normal later. Don't know why.

I bet somewhere there is someone who does know what works and doesn't work with different versions and why but we never get that info.

My iMac is now running Sierra, latest update, and the Photos app works just fine. The update didn't affect it at all.
My iMac is truly psychotic.

iCloud was pulling photos into Photos just fine, no problems... for years. Then it stopped after I upgraded to Sierra. It didn't work for months and months.

And then, I changed my iCloud password (I got a weird email about an iTunes purchase I didn't make) and turned off computer for 2 weeks while on vacation, and when I returned and turned it on, it pulled everything in, just like that.

It worked beautifully for several weeks.... then just stopped.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. So I guess there's hope that it will just start working again, for no reason. :rolleyes: :barf: :poo:

There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. So I guess there's hope that it will just start working again, for no reason.
You seem to be ready to grasp at straws, so... you could try rebuilding the Photos database on your Mac as described here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21366

(I'm thinking that if the Photos database has been damaged in some way, Photos and iCloud might have the wrong idea about what photos have been downloaded. I kinda doubt this is the answer, but it'll be something to do if you get bored.)

You seem to be ready to grasp at straws, so... you could try rebuilding the Photos database on your Mac as described here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21366

(I'm thinking that if the Photos database has been damaged in some way, Photos and iCloud might have the wrong idea about what photos have been downloaded. I kinda doubt this is the answer, but it'll be something to do if you get bored.)
Hmmmmm.... I'm guessing this repair will affect my photos across all devices, because they're in the cloud? So there's the possibility to loose some/all?

...also, all the photos that are in iCloud are not on my Mac. Not sure if an *easy* way to get them transferred.

I just opened Photos and I can select all and then "export"... I guess I could export them to a folder on my Mac?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.... I'm guessing this repair will affect my photos across all devices, because they're in the cloud? So there's the possibility to loose some/all?

...also, all the photos that are in iCloud are not on my Mac. Not sure if an *easy* way to get them transferred.

I just opened Photos and I can select all and then "export"... I guess I could export them to a folder on my Mac?
It is only rebuilding the database for the Photos program on your iMac, not in iCloud. And I believe it is actually just rebuilding the index to the database. But it is a good idea to make a temporary backup copy of the database in case of gremlins. It is located in the Pictures folder and by default is named Photos Library.photoslibrary. You can create a copy of it by

* clicking on it once to select it and then pressing Command-D, which will create a duplicate file in tye same folder, or

* Option-dragging the file to the Desktop (or any other folder), which will create a copy there.

The database file is probably quite large, so the copy may take a little while. Once the rebuild is completed successfully, you can delete the copy to regain that space.

If the idea makes you nervous at all, don't do it -- you won't be any worse off than you are now.

It is only rebuilding the database for the Photos program on your iMac, not in iCloud. And I believe it is actually just rebuilding the index to the database. But it is a good idea to make a temporary backup copy of the database in case of gremlins. It is located in the Pictures folder and by default is named Photos Library.photoslibrary. You can create a copy of it by

* clicking on it once to select it and then pressing Command-D, which will create a duplicate file in tye same folder, or

* Option-dragging the file to the Desktop (or any other folder), which will create a copy there.

The database file is probably quite large, so the copy may take a little while. Once the rebuild is completed successfully, you can delete the copy to regain that space.

If the idea makes you nervous at all, don't do it -- you won't be any worse off than you are now.
I'd like to do it.... it seems pretty easy/straightforward.... just don't want to screw something up. :eek:

iCloud on my late 2009 iMac is utterly f*%!-ed. It won’t recognize my password, even though it works just fine on my iPhone and iPad. I even changed it (AGAIN). terse Ted spent all weekend helping me troubleshoot (I am so grateful and owe him big time :inlove::notworthy::inlove:), delete Keychain stuff, etc.... nothing worked.

So my friend is coming over later this week to help me reset it back to El Capitan (all the troubles started with Sierra, now my arch nemesis. :mad:) I might lose my Microsoft Office apps as I got them via a free link from a graphic designer many years ago :whistle:, but my friend thinks I should be able to retrieve them from Time Machine.

PLEASE let this work. :barf:

My late 2009 iMac was getting more and more glitchy. iCloud was completely effed up - it kept saying my password was wrong, even though it WASN'T. But I changed the password anyway, it worked fine on all of my other devices, but still said it was the wrong password on my iMac. Therefore I couldn't log out of iCloud. Then iTunes stopped working.

So, I'd had it.

After a weekend of troubleshooting with Ted ( :inlove: :notworthy: ) I decided to do something more drastic, so my dear friend came over last night at 10:00pm, and worked on factory resetting my iMac and then installing El Capitan (my troubles started with Sierra, and I definitely will not be upgrading to High Sierra either.)

She left at 3:30am. :eek: :barf: :notworthy: BUT, I had a "brand new" iMac running El Capitan, photos were syncing to iCloud, and everything was working fine. :D :D :D The reason it took so long is there were glitches happening along the way (like holding down the specific keys to start the resetting process, but they wouldn't work..... until they did. :zip:) Stuff like that kept happening all through the process, but she was able to figure things out and/or figure out work arounds. I would never have been able to do it - my butt would have been lugging my big 'ol iMac to the Apple Store Genius counter at the mall this weekend. :barf: :lol:

Right now the only glitch I'm noticing is that my Safari tabs from my iPhone 7 Plus are not showing up in Safari on my iMac or iPad, even though my iPhone shows my iMac & iPad tabs. :confused: This, I can live with. :cool:

Edit: Oh, and I’m not sure how to get my music back into iTunes. There’s a little cloud arrow next to the songs but I don’t want to have to click on each one? I connected my iPhone to the iMac and synced, but less than half of my music was put on the Mac, and none of my Playlists. Might have to try digging them out of Time Machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom