ICM Photography - Intentional Camera Movement Discussion

0D904B72-6980-426B-B244-E7141CDB88E3.jpeg

People en pointe
Halide (1/2 second with 10-stop ND filter), Photos

Another useful post from Ted:

Andy Gray and David Howell are two that I follow on Instagram whose work I use as a (far distant) target. Both of them have said they layer shots to get their effects rather than relying simply on camera motion. Both also move the various layers around when compositing rather than simply leaving the stack as is. Andy Gray has a YouTube channel with some interesting videos on his style, including this one that follows his workflow in assembling an impressionist image.

And...

If you look at the Instagram feeds I mentioned above for Andy Gray and David Howell, you'll see that they're very similar (to each other and from one image to another). Just yesterday, I stumbled on Roxanne Overton's Instagram feed, which I found very exciting because she uses the same techniques -- camera motion, blur, stacks, and similar -- yet produces very different results. Wow!
Ive only just read through this thread after finding roxannes feed on instagram. OMG!!!! I might get her book but im very interested in trying to create similar using software techniques.

but im very interested in trying to create similar using software techniques
I think it might be done. Study her subjects a bit to see what things respond to her sort of work. Then directional blur, plus intensified color, structure, and contrast. There might be some tricks in iColorama to help, too, like Style/Edges and/or Style/Lighten/3.

I think it might be done. Study her subjects a bit to see what things respond to her sort of work. Then directional blur, plus intensified color, structure, and contrast. There might be some tricks in iColorama to help, too, like Style/Edges and/or Style/Lighten/3.
To be fair, any genre is game for her. Very talented. Been trying with superimpose and even dusted off affinity photo but very hard to pull it off as good as I’ve been getting with slow shutter so far. The quest continues…..

To be fair, any genre is game for her. Very talented. Been trying with superimpose and even dusted off affinity photo but very hard to pull it off as good as I’ve been getting with slow shutter so far. The quest continues…..
Er, was I unfair? I didn't mean to be. I didn't say it was easy to do what she does, and it's dramatically different from much other ICM work. But many of her images are of rectilinear subjects (buildings, bridges, sailboats, etc.), shot with vertical motion most of the time, with verticals sharpened and intensified in processing and colors likewise intensified. So starting with a subject that lends itself to that treatment seems like a good way to go. There are undoubtedly a number ways to get to similar results. The closest I've ever come is "Night in the City" below, which is a combo of two Bluristic shots merged using a Difference blend.

c6e2659f-cab4-4258-bb5a-f71aa64da856-png.169957

Er, was I unfair? I didn't mean to be. I didn't say it was easy to do what she does, and it's dramatically different from much other ICM work. But many of her images are of rectilinear subjects (buildings, bridges, sailboats, etc.), shot with vertical motion most of the time, with verticals sharpened and intensified in processing and colors likewise intensified. So starting with a subject that lends itself to that treatment seems like a good way to go. There are undoubtedly a number ways to get to similar results. The closest I've ever come is "Night in the City" below, which is a combo of two Bluristic shots merged using a Difference blend.

c6e2659f-cab4-4258-bb5a-f71aa64da856-png.169957
not unfair at all. But, I’ve been playing and the only way I got close, and very close, was with slow shutter cam, and, by editing in app, I was able to get similar style to her. Will keep trying with apps to get something though. Your image is pretty damn powerful, very industrial futuresque.

very industrial futuresque
That's how it struck me, too. Not planned, just something that appeared while processing. In reality, it was shot in daytime, in an alley, in a city where 4 stories makes you one of the tallest buildings around. :lol: I was fooling around with blending two Bluristic images, and when I tried a Difference blend, it suddenly looked like something. Happens that way quite often.

That's how it struck me, too. Not planned, just something that appeared while processing. In reality, it was shot in daytime, in an alley, in a city where 4 stories makes you one of the tallest buildings around. :lol: I was fooling around with blending two Bluristic images, and when I tried a Difference blend, it suddenly looked like something. Happens that way quite often.
Well keep doing what your doing. Affinity has shown yet again it is more subtle in effects and needs a lot more work and layers to get anywhere. I’ll try superimpose again.

Ive only just read through this thread after finding roxannes feed on instagram. OMG!!!! I might get her book but im very interested in trying to create similar using software techniques.
Read her blog first if you haven’t already https://roxanneoverton.com/blog. So much of her technique is about good composition and quality photography in the first place. Kindle version of her book is cheap anyway and I’m sure it would improve our photography too.

Difference! My favorite blend mode!!!!

terse Ted, you’re blurred images would be most welcome in the APPStract Challenge. In fact anyone’s ICM images are welcome.

Unless, of course, the one app is iColorama. Care for some examples? :D
No examples, I just meant as a personal choice I wouldn't think a photo manipulated with one other app would be what the Appstract challenge is about. Maybe its just my misconception of that thread.

Not sure what the joke is?

No examples, I just meant as a personal choice I wouldn't think a photo manipulated with one other app would be what the Appstract challenge is about. Maybe its just my misconception of that thread.

Not sure what the joke is?
“Insane use of apps is encouraged, but not mandatory.”. :p

but can do almost anything
apart from working on Android :whistle:

Yes I know what it is, not sure why it was referenced when I was agreeing with your point about limited apps. I think I'm probably going to limit myself to a couple of threads now on here, keep my nose out of other people's business and all that.

apart from working on Android :whistle:

Yes I know what it is, not sure why it was referenced when I was agreeing with your point about limited apps. I think I'm probably going to limit myself to a couple of threads now on here, keep my nose out of other people's business and all that.
As Ted said, iColorama is an example of an app that can do most anything. Certainly 90% of what I want to do when creating an appstract.

I’m certainly not wishing you to limit yourself to a couple of threads, especially not due to one of my offhand comments.

Yes I know what it is, not sure why it was referenced when I was agreeing with your point about limited apps
Ah, I think we missed touch back at the start. I was saying that I thought -- or used to think -- that an appstract was an image created with multiple layers blended together, not necessarily one done with multiple apps. (And that's how I thought iColorama was relevant, because I have done images that are definitely appstract, made from multiple source images, and done them entirely in iColorama.)

I was thinking of an appstract as something composited, assembled from pieces as well as filters. But now that this has all come up, I'm not sure why I thought that. It's not spelled out anywhere as far as I know. So if Starzee says ICM and impressionist images are welcome in APPStracts, we should all do what she says. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom