ICM Photography - Intentional Camera Movement Discussion

The MobiTog bookmarks mark a specific post. You can get to them through your account menu at the top right of any page:

View attachment 164113

But I usually use regular browser bookmarks for threads. In Safari, I've got a folder of MobiTog bookmarks that I keep on the Favorites bar.
I ever thought of using the browser bookmarks for threads in Mobitog. How much time I would have saved when looking for “found faces” or “signs”!

17760F91-3EB2-483F-9751-47B13A4CB39B.jpeg

Another version of the Ruins image I posted in MobiColour, made from two ICM images shot with Slow Shutter Cam and blended in Leonardo. I was surprised by the results because the blend of the two ICMs doesn't look so much like an ICM image -- the clouds in particular came out very fluffy. On the other hand, the roof of the structure came out doing a good imitation of an old building that's lost half its shingles. (I've attached the two original SSC images for anyone who's interested.) On this variation, I think I used DistressedFX Plus for the coloring.

Attachments

• 55C013ED-2DAE-4422-B51F-79163D716883.jpeg
    55C013ED-2DAE-4422-B51F-79163D716883.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 55249A8C-7AF1-4D3F-BAC7-CD7DAB1C89EE.jpeg
    55249A8C-7AF1-4D3F-BAC7-CD7DAB1C89EE.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 10
View attachment 164153

Another version of the Ruins image I posted in MobiColour, made from two ICM images shot with Slow Shutter Cam and blended in Leonardo. I was surprised by the results because the blend of the two ICMs doesn't look so much like an ICM image -- the clouds in particular came out very fluffy. On the other hand, the roof of the structure came out doing a good imitation of an old building that's lost half its shingles. (I've attached the two original SSC images for anyone who's interested.) On this variation, I think I used DistressedFX Plus for the coloring.
Gorgeous. Love it. I wish it were mine.

Elsewhere on MobiTog I mentioned Syed Uzair as one of the ICM photographers I follow on Instagram. I found an interesting interview with him on Twisting Pixels here:

I hope it's OK to bump up an old thread, but I have been interested in ICM for a while. I have taken a few photos using Slow Shutter Cam, and I've tried Spectre, although I haven't had as much success with it yet.

I seem to struggle getting the motion to look smooth. I've seen beautiful seascapes and landscapes on Instagram, with wispy colours and skies, but when I try, there's still a lot of texture. Sometimes I like the effect, like this photo of hostas, but I want to master the smoother style too. Any advice? Is it just a case of keep practising, or is there a technique to it?

Snapseed 35.jpg

This is one of my attempts at a seascape.

IMG_7748.jpg

I hope it's OK to bump up an old thread, but I have been interested in ICM for a while. I have taken a few photos using Slow Shutter Cam, and I've tried Spectre, although I haven't had as much success with it yet.

I seem to struggle getting the motion to look smooth. I've seen beautiful seascapes and landscapes on Instagram, with wispy colours and skies, but when I try, there's still a lot of texture. Sometimes I like the effect, like this photo of hostas, but I want to master the smoother style too. Any advice? Is it just a case of keep practising, or is there a technique to it?

View attachment 167108

View attachment 167109
sinnerjohn John started a Two Week App Challenge (TWAC) with Bluristic here: https://mobitog.com/threads/twac-7-bluristic-28th-april-to-12th-may.24562/

Do you use Bluristic Helen?

View attachment 167108

View attachment 167109
That seascape is gorgeous.

View attachment 167108

View attachment 167109
I love both of these.

View attachment 167108

View attachment 167109
Nice.

I seem to struggle getting the motion to look smooth. I've seen beautiful seascapes and landscapes on Instagram, with wispy colours and skies, but when I try, there's still a lot of texture.
Me, too. And I see a difference in the results depending on how fast I move the camera.

I've come to think that Slow Shutter Cam may not be the right app for that particular job. I think that's because of the way it works (or rather, the way I think it works). A big DSLR camera can just hold the shutter open for as long as you need while you wave the camera around. But I think what Slow Shutter Cam does is record a rapid series of shots and then stack them together in real time (more or less), which usually creates the textured or stairstepping effect.

But I spent some time browsing around on the web for info about ICM and found that many ICM photographers are using relatively short shutter speeds, like 1/4 or 1/2 second while moving their DSLRs around. So I experimented with using camera apps like ProCam and Camera+ that allow shutter speeds up to 1 second in their normal photo mode, and I found that I could get smoother ICM results.

The problem with that, though, is the exposure. Even with the ISO set to 25, a shutter speed of 1/4 second lets in way too much light in the daytime. The solution I tried for that is to add a neutral density filter to the lens of my phone (a gray filter that blocks a lot of the incoming light). I have a Moment case for my iPhone (because I have some Moment lenses), so I bought one of their adapters and a couple of ND filters to play with. It works, but it means more stuff to carry around, and it can be a bit finicky to get the right exposure dialed in for different lighting conditions.

Another option that I've used sometimes is to add a motion blur effect to the image afterwards. Leonardo, Affinity Photo, and some other apps can do that. I've also found that sometimes adding a bit of Style/Coherence in iColorama (about 10% or so) will help.

Nice work with your two images above, especially the seascape. :thumbs:

sinnerjohn John started a Two Week App Challenge (TWAC) with Bluristic here: https://mobitog.com/threads/twac-7-bluristic-28th-april-to-12th-may.24562/

Do you use Bluristic Helen?
I don't, but I will look into it, thanks.
Me, too. And I see a difference in the results depending on how fast I move the camera.

I've come to think that Slow Shutter Cam may not be the right app for that particular job. I think that's because of the way it works (or rather, the way I think it works). A big DSLR camera can just hold the shutter open for as long as you need while you wave the camera around. But I think what Slow Shutter Cam does is record a rapid series of shots and then stack them together in real time (more or less), which usually creates the textured or stairstepping effect.

But I spent some time browsing around on the web for info about ICM and found that many ICM photographers are using relatively short shutter speeds, like 1/4 or 1/2 second while moving their DSLRs around. So I experimented with using camera apps like ProCam and Camera+ that allow shutter speeds up to 1 second in their normal photo mode, and I found that I could get smoother ICM results.

The problem with that, though, is the exposure. Even with the ISO set to 25, a shutter speed of 1/4 second lets in way too much light in the daytime. The solution I tried for that is to add a neutral density filter to the lens of my phone (a gray filter that blocks a lot of the incoming light). I have a Moment case for my iPhone (because I have some Moment lenses), so I bought one of their adapters and a couple of ND filters to play with. It works, but it means more stuff to carry around, and it can be a bit finicky to get the right exposure dialed in for different lighting conditions.

Another option that I've used sometimes is to add a motion blur effect to the image afterwards. Leonardo, Affinity Photo, and some other apps can do that. I've also found that sometimes adding a bit of Style/Coherence in iColorama (about 10% or so) will help.

Nice work with your two images above, especially the seascape. :thumbs:
Thanks for the information. I don't have additional lenses for my phone yet, but I will try some of the other apps you mentioned and see how I get on.

I don't, but I will look into it, thanks.

Thanks for the information. I don't have additional lenses for my phone yet, but I will try some of the other apps you mentioned and see how I get on.
You don't need the lenses, just an adapter or mount and the filter. And I'd completely forgotten that I'd said most of this and even posted a picture of my ND filter at the beginning of this thread a year ago. :rolleyes::lmao: Apologies for repeating myself.:D

Any app that offers motion blur or directional blur can help when you've moved the camera straight in one direction. iColorama Style/Coherence or Style/Flow will work better with mixed or curved motion. (iColorama is a quirky app. It's a rabbit hole people have been known to disappear into.)

You don't need the lenses, just an adapter or mount and the filter. And I'd completely forgotten that I'd said most of this and even posted a picture of my ND filter at the beginning of this thread a year ago. :rolleyes::lmao: Apologies for repeating myself.:D

Any app that offers motion blur or directional blur can help when you've moved the camera straight in one direction. iColorama Style/Coherence or Style/Flow will work better with mixed or curved motion. (iColorama is a quirky app. It's a rabbit hole people have been known to disappear into.)
Oh, I see - that’s interesting. I confess, I’d not thought about filters for my phone, only lenses.

I have used iColorama before, but mostly for creating ‘painterly’ effects rather than more subtle image enhancements. I will give it a try.

Oh, I see - that’s interesting. I confess, I’d not thought about filters for my phone, only lenses.

I have used iColorama before, but mostly for creating ‘painterly’ effects rather than more subtle image enhancements. I will give it a try.
If you are curious about the image altering apps, there a number of threads in App Chat that May interest you. As for iColorama, our own juryjone Jerry has several (or more) tutorials on the app App Tutorials. And if you’re ready, our current APPStract Challenge theme is anything goes! So feel free to post the above or any other image that fits the bill.

Note: Orange highlights indicate a link.

Re: adding motion blur afterwards

Here’s a motion blur in iColorama: Effects>Blur>8 added twice to an image of coral-colored blooms and green leaves on a white background.

71A88EC4-98EF-444D-8156-9A423574C4AE.jpeg

Of course, I couldn’t leave it at that. Deforms, Sort and Channels 6 (Invert) resulted in this.

C390BF02-24B5-44A1-BB10-561CDF4D2BCF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom