ICM Photography - Intentional Camera Movement Discussion

The only problem is having to do it on the spot. Sometimes I forget or a new image is emerging.
I think I'll head over to Cogitap's web site to see if there's a contact address for suggestions.

EDIT: OK, did that, and gave them a link to this thread, just in case.

Last edited:
He says 13 second exposure and moving the camera.
13 seconds. Wow, that’s long. He must move it very slowly. I wonder how well something like this would work on an automatic 360 degree panning head. I‘ve always wanted to get one.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I should try it with my gimbal which has a 360 automatic setting. It’s not smooth because it does a stop every 90 degrees but the results may be interesting on one stop.

Last edited:
13 seconds. Wow, that’s long. He must move it very slowly. I wonder how well something like this would work on an automatic 360 degree panning head. I‘ve always wanted to get one.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I should try it with my gimbal which has a 360 automatic setting. It’s not smooth because it does a stop every 90 degrees but the results may be interesting on one stop.
Looking at his image he must had moved the camera quite violently to get that effect!

This ICM was taken in CameraPixels and I have to say it does a nice job of smoothing. This was panning out. If I look at exposure, it says 1 sec. I took an ordinary shot too and brought back the flower details using a mask in Procreate. I ran it through Becasso at the end although blended with the Procreate version lowering the opacity to reduce the Becasso version.

579ACA8E-03E0-42D2-BC54-C494B673D59D.png

Here’s one taken with OverCam which is still one of my favs. Pity the res is not at it’s highest. Increased res, reduced structure and tuned in Snapseed.

456162FA-AD12-47B9-B3BF-489FB07D0B4C.png

28310ED3-4DCF-4149-9E0A-E3D2AADC2E4A.jpeg

Waterfall
Camera-M, 1 second exposure, then some Coherence in iColorama. Attached are the unedited original and a more extreme edit.

Attachments

• FCEAC235-6FB4-41D4-A019-B8C3C8C487F1.jpeg
    FCEAC235-6FB4-41D4-A019-B8C3C8C487F1.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 7E6324AE-FD8C-4B04-89A9-BD96F06E0FFE.jpeg
    7E6324AE-FD8C-4B04-89A9-BD96F06E0FFE.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 7
I was working on my camera flailing technique his afternoon and decided to compare results from Slow Shutter Cam with those from a typical manual control camera app (Camera-M, in this case). Both were set to 1 second exposure and ISO 25. SSC was also set to max motion blur. I shot from the same position and used a similar camera motion (upward sweep).

Slow Shutter Cam

0B013AC0-08B7-43EF-BCBF-89CCCFB6B805.jpeg

Camera-M

5ACF110D-1945-4753-9EFD-4C806E6829C5.jpeg

I had to move much faster when using Camera-M to get as much blur as I did here. When I panned at the same speed as in the SSC shot, I got very little.

Different looks depending on what you have in mind.

Thinking a bit more about this...

It's also visual fatigue, I think. How many photos in the same genre can you view in a row before you start to lose your ability to discern differences? (Similar to how many perfumes you can sniff before you can't tell the differences.) Before the internet age, we never saw so many images all at once (and TV was all low-res and moving images). The most we could see in a "stream" would be a coffee table photo book, and even that, I doubt most people would look through all at once. Now we get more new images than that each time we log into Instragram, even if we log in several times a day. Our brains are struggling to catch up.

(Yeah, yeah, people born and raised in the internet era are likely to be more comfortable with scanning large streams of images, but "comfort" and "scanning" are not what I'm talking about. They make you neither better nor worse at grokking individual images.)
YEEEEESSSSS. I just can’t look at so many images at a time... my eyes/mind kind of checks out. That’s why I love it here, with all the conversations.

Here is an experiment with Slow Shutter with Motion Blur, High Blur Strength and 1 second Shutter Speed. I used a circular movement. Once I had saved the shot I also saved a freeze frame of the start. I haven’t decided how I might go ahead with this but I’m thinking of bringing back details afterwards or adding multiple exposures rather than pure ICM.

View attachment 158400
I’ve taken the image into Snapseed and upped the saturation. I also reduced the structure completed but added a little sharpness under Details.

View attachment 158401
This was after applying an oil effect in Becasso

View attachment 158402
This was after bringing back some details and running it through Becasso but not sure it worked great for this image.
I think it looks pretty cool. Very different indeed!

View attachment 158542

Waterfall
Camera-M, 1 second exposure, then some Coherence in iColorama. Attached are the unedited original and a more extreme edit.
Love the patterns. I think Camera-M did a great job of this but I thought SSC much better in your lounge images. The Camera-M images just look 'oops, shook the camera by mistake' rather than ICM. Maybe it's just the subject.

I was working on my camera flailing technique his afternoon and decided to compare results from Slow Shutter Cam with those from a typical manual control camera app (Camera-M, in this case). Both were set to 1 second exposure and ISO 25. SSC was also set to max motion blur. I shot from the same position and used a similar camera motion (upward sweep).

Slow Shutter Cam

View attachment 158549

Camera-M

View attachment 158548

I had to move much faster when using Camera-M to get as much blur as I did here. When I panned at the same speed as in the SSC shot, I got very little.

I actually prefer the camera M images, albeit they may need some post processing. The SSC end up a little more abstract for my tastes. But it's horses for courses.

100E92E4-4E5D-40BE-8025-8ED178833D7E.jpeg

There's another version of this in terse fragments, both from the same ICM shot and then worked over with some extra blur, Mextures, and iColorama. I seem to get better "impressionist" results when there's a definite form that stands out in the frame.

View attachment 158616

There's another version of this in terse fragments, both from the same ICM shot and then worked over with some extra blur, Mextures, and iColorama. I seem to get better "impressionist" results when there's a definite form that stands out in the frame.
I have chosen this image for entry into Image of the Month.

Slow Shutter Cam

View attachment 158549

Camera-M

View attachment 158548

I thought that first image was a cityscape until I looked at the others. Cool!

View attachment 158616

This is fantastic. Pity MDAC’s over already. Maybe a thought for the next one.

Back
Top Bottom