ICM Photography - Intentional Camera Movement Discussion

Oh, will do. (I tend to think of APPStracts as layered images, but I guess there's nothing that says so, is there?)

Agreed, I think a photo changed with one app doesn't somehow cut the mustard.
APPStract is just a made up word. I’ve tried to get across the idea that it’s a fun thread without judgement. Anything from a straight photo that is an abstract sort of thing (macros) to a collage of images to nearly any artsy genre.

E5B76A00-EEDB-4D63-8306-CE76D583331F.jpeg

Enthusiastic rhododendron
Bluristic A mode

Currently deciding between b mode in bluristic and slow shutter cam. I think bluristic gives a bit more painterly feel, or, effects closer to something akin to certain hipsta effects.
You'll probably find each is good for different things. For example, if you use Bluristic B mode with all three anchors, you can get lovely long exposure shots of waterfalls and such shooting handheld, whereas you'd need a tripod with Slow Shutter Cam.

You'll probably find each is good for different things. For example, if you use Bluristic B mode with all three anchors, you can get lovely long exposure shots of waterfalls and such shooting handheld, whereas you'd need a tripod with Slow Shutter Cam.
They are certainly different beasts.

Through the window

7D2F7621-06A2-4610-8EF5-CDA77C7A418D.jpeg

On my walk today, I came across another partly derelicit house. As I was taking pics, over the fence, a chap drove up and I thought he was going to ask me what I was doing but he asked me if I was interested in buying it. I said no, just doing some photography. He went into some history of the place and it being the old coach house and said that I should go onto the property and take photos if I wanted to. It was on the market.

So I took an image through the window with OverCam and then the same image with no movement and combined the two bringing out the toilet and a couple of the fixtures.

Through the window

View attachment 182266
On my walk today, I came across another partly derelicit house. As I was taking pics, over the fence, a chap drove up and I thought he was going to ask me what I was doing but he asked me if I was interested in buying it. I said no, just doing some photography. He went into some history of the place and it being the old coach house and said that I should go onto the property and take photos if I wanted to. It was on the market.

So I took an image through the window with OverCam and then the same image with no movement and combined the two bringing out the toilet and a couple of the fixtures.
Aturally you also went in the house after the invite? You must have!!
OMG the tones in this, they tie in perfectly with the multiple exposures. In fact, another blurred photo is going straight into IOTM!!

Aturally you also went in the house after the invite? You must have!!
OMG the tones in this, they tie in perfectly with the multiple exposures. In fact, another blurred photo is going straight into IOTM!!
Wow, thanks Ric, praise indeed. The tones were done using the Snapseed Grunge (without texture) which is one of my favourite ways of getting this look.

Actually I didn’t go in. When I went around the back, a window was broken and I noticed some old duvets on the floor. Wasn’t sure whether it was current but that spooked me a bit and dissuaded me from going in.

Wow, thanks Ric, praise indeed. The tones were done using the Snapseed Grunge (without texture) which is one of my favourite ways of getting this look.

Actually I didn’t go in. When I went around the back, a window was broken and I noticed some old duvets on the floor. Wasn’t sure whether it was current but that spooked me a bit and dissuaded me from going in.
you should have shouted SWAT!! And retreated to a safe distance. You would have found out then if it was safe.
I seen someone else mention the grunge without texture, possibly an old post by skipology.

you should have shouted SWAT!! And retreated to a safe distance. You would have found out then if it was safe.
I seen someone else mention the grunge without texture, possibly an old post by skipology.
You’ve been watching too many crime movies, Ric. :lol: I probably would have had the whole neighbourhood coming out to see what was going on.

Through the window

View attachment 182266

Best toilet image I’ve ever seen! Now I have to go experiment with Snapseed……

Derelict House

80BD7E60-1ED9-4B4C-94BB-BFE43737E46E.png

Here’s a similar transformation with the main house. Original images from OverCam. Really struggled with this one. I couldn’t get a good vignette around the top. Snapseed wouldn’t add one there and also the sky was a bit blown out so I had to take it into Procreate and apply a darker wash at the top.

I then tried something I used to do in Photoshop for a vignette. Add a grey layer and then with a big brush with lowered opacity remove the grey from the middle going outwards until you have a grey vignette and then apply the blend mode Multiply. The problem I have had with this in the past is that I can’t find a brush which gives a smooth transition from the grey but then I had the brainwave of apply Gaussian blur which did the trick. However, when I applied this it seemed to take away the light on the roof and in the end I decided to leave it but it’s a trick I will use in future.

Last edited:
Derelict House

View attachment 182270

Here’s a similar transformation with the main house. Original images from OverCam. Really struggled with this one. I couldn’t get a good vignette around the top. Snapseed wouldn’t add one there and also the sky was a bit blown out so I had to take it into Procreate and apply a darker wash at the top.

I then tried something I used to do in Photoshop for a vignette. Add a grey layer and then with a big brush with lowered opacity remove the grey from the middle going outwards until you have a grey vignette and then apply the blend mode Multiply. The problem I have had with this in the past is that I can’t find a brush which gives a smooth transition from the grey but then I had the brainwave of apply Gaussian blur which did the trick. However, when I applied this it seemed to take away the light on the roof and in the end I decided to leave it but it’s a trick I will use in future.
Another stunner!! Did you try the selective tool, reduce the size of a few of them along the top, reduce brightness. It might work. You got to have a few but if you make them slightly larger than needed then edit them with a brush afterwards it might do the trick.

edit- I did an even easier way with your image, sorry I pulled it to see what could be done in snapseed.
lower curves to darken photo, then edit and select inverse, and paint the light back in. It’s what I’ve been doing a lot of.

Last edited:
Derelict House

View attachment 182270

What a great image! I use a 50% grey layer on overlay and black and white brushes to lighten or darken areas. Yes, it’s a holdover from Photoshop days.

Derelict House

View attachment 182270

Love the greenish look! It says dilapidation in an unusual way

Another stunner!! Did you try the selective tool, reduce the size of a few of them along the top, reduce brightness. It might work. You got to have a few but if you make them slightly larger than needed then edit them with a brush afterwards it might do the trick.

edit- I did an even easier way with your image, sorry I pulled it to see what could be done in snapseed.
lower curves to darken photo, then edit and select inverse, and paint the light back in. It’s what I’ve been doing a lot of.
Yes, will have to try that. I use the edit a lot in Snapseed. In fact I might have used it on the toilet to reduce Structure in most of the image except the what I wanted sharp.

Back
Top Bottom