Uuglypher

MobiStar
Real Name
Dave
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
75F70242-6B27-4180-B70C-B7C2C20171DD.jpeg

HI Dave! Dandelion?
Welcome to Mobitog, the friendliest mobile photography community in the world. There will be some others along shortly to welcome you and give you some insight into navigating our site. Meantime, you can tell us a little bit about yourself on our welcome page, here. Any help you need finding things, just ask!

Hi, Starzee,
Dandelion?
Nope! Close but “No cigar!” A close relative, however! That puffball seed head is much larger than a dandelion’s - about 4 1/2” in diameter!
here’s the flower that give rise to that immense seed head:
D974E3F9-A102-4110-8299-1D5BCDB09630.jpeg
f

I’m a retired veterinary pathologist, wildlife disease diagnostician and researcher, and avocational photographer since 1948. Started with home-made dry plates (glass) in an heirloom 5x7 view camera and have lately become fascinated with full DR raw captures via EBTR with my iPhone11ProMax and the Lightroom Mobile app. The 12 bit-depth files with increased tonal spectrum permit incredibly detailed large blow-ups(24”x36”) is the largest I’ve tried so far. I’m hoping to learn more of the limits of smartphone photography.

My stable of traditional SLRs (Exaktas) and DSLRs (Sony’s) and lenses is getting embarrassingly dusty! Parkinsonian with associated neuromuscular tremors and impaired locomotion d.t. Progressive sensory/motor peripheral neuropathy have relegated me to Forster crutches and a wheel chair, but I can still safely drive!
I’ve come to appreciate Ed Weston’s quip to Ansel Adams that “...anything more than 6 feet from the car is not photogenic!”Thanks for the welcome!
Best regards,
Dave

Hi Dave, I would have said dandelion, too :thumbs: Lovely images! From your short bio I’d take a wild guess that you know a thing or two about photography, so you will find great conversations here with some of our resident old timers dinosaurs experienced photographers.

Do you do/like macro as well? I’m looking at ‘pathologist’ and ‘diagnostician’ and wondering if we can look forward to a Petri dish series (one thing I haven’t yet seen on mobitog :D)

Hi, Starzee,
Dandelion?
Nope! Close but “No cigar!” A close relative, however! That puffball seed head is much larger than a dandelion’s - about 4 1/2” in diameter!
here’s the flower that give rise to that immense seed head:View attachment 160804f

I’m a retired veterinary pathologist, wildlife disease diagnostician and researcher, and avocational photographer since 1948. Started with home-made dry plates (glass) in an heirloom 5x7 view camera and have lately become fascinated with full DR raw captures via EBTR with my iPhone11ProMax and the Lightroom Mobile app. The 12 bit-depth files with increased tonal spectrum permit incredibly detailed large blow-ups(24”x36”) is the largest I’ve tried so far. I’m hoping to learn more of the limits of smartphone photography.

My stable of traditional SLRs (Exaktas) and DSLRs (Sony’s) and lenses is getting embarrassingly dusty! Parkinsonian with associated neuromuscular tremors and impaired locomotion d.t. Progressive sensory/motor peripheral neuropathy have relegated me to Forster crutches and a wheel chair, but I can still safely drive!
I’ve come to appreciate Ed Weston’s quip to Ansel Adams that “...anything more than 6 feet from the car is not photogenic!”Thanks for the welcome!
Best regards,
Dave
4 1/2 inches! Wow. It must be spectacular to blow those fluffs into the wind. Glad to hear, despite your health challenges, you are keeping your photography going. I found I can keep the dust off my traditional camera by keeping them in a drawer. :lmao:

Ed Weston is my new hero! I so agree.

Hi, Starzee and zenjenny (love that name- Namaste !)
To break the palpable suspense, the plant in question is a relative of the dandelion called “Salsify”, some varieties of which are cultivated for their edible roots... seeds are commercially available. Another name is “goatsbeard” (Tragopogon dubius).

As for macro I have a few images that may be considrrrd to be at the ddge of “macro”. But I’ve so far resisted the urge to buy a set of auxiliary and macro lenses for my iPhone - maybe sometime...?
Here’s as close as I’ve come to macro so far. I have not yet gotten into stacking.

A really interesting thing !
I have been surprised to find how much extra raw-accessible dynamic range can be found beyond the Jpeg highlight clipping warnings in the wide (1x) and tele(2x) cameras of my wife’s and my iPhones! Exposing a raw capture simply using the Jpeg clipping warning can, depending on ones particular camera, result in leaving one to almost three full stops of DR unused! With the 12 bit-depth image file that means forfeiting possibly as much as 85% or more of its potential S:N ratio and its potential tonal and color spectra!
However, if the entire available DR is used and the full tonal spectrum is harvested, the improvement in capture of perceptible, discernible detail (compared with that in an 8bit-depth Jpeg) is nothing short of amazing!
The more I work with my iPhone cameras the more impressed I become!

Dave

76945AB4-4F03-4913-BFD1-11BDDF9FC97B.jpeg
6E3016E8-1264-4085-BAF9-F0A6DE7030C0.jpeg
AA9C7E6C-0947-43C3-A3DA-9EB9D2CD8404.jpeg

...is a relative of the dandelion called “Salsify”
Ah come on... I was working an an answer and you've given the game away. Not that I'd have got it, I was using wikipedia and checking out Taraxacum without much luck. I'd have given up on Cichorieae, too wide a tribe.

Never mind, as long as I've not missed out on any prizes of course. :appsir:

Welcome by the way. :D

Ah come on... I was working an an answer and you've given the game away. Not that I'd have got it, I was using wikipedia and checking out Taraxacum without much luck. I'd have given up on Cichorieae, too wide a tribe.

Never mind, as long as I've not missed out on any prizes of course. :appsir:

Welcome by the way. :D

Hi,Rizole,
I grew up in a heavily Italian neighborhood, so I gotta ask: izzat “Rizole” with two or three syllables ?- and is the pursed-hand gesture a required accompaniment to its expression? I’ve run into the noun in different parts of the world spelled with one or two “z” and sometimes with a double “ss” and always meaning a deep-fried delicious thingy! Never encountered it as a proper name.
Just curious.
And thanks for the welcome!
Don’t feel bad about the prize. It really was not my intent to deprive anyone of it. Anyone who knew the answer is fully justified in pride in that fact -of great personal value ...but on the open market?...not so much!
Dave

Never encountered it as a proper name.
It's a made up name. A kids name for a zombie.
I used to draw zombies in class as a kid with my mate when we should have been paying attention to the lesson (geography and history bored me deeply). One of the zombies was called Gog Rizole for no particular reason. Years later, when I came to sign up for my first email address in the late 90's my real name was already taken. I'd kept rizole around and developed the character as I got older so it was the first thing that came into my head.
I've been rizole online ever since :)

I've been counting. Back then when you googled "rizole" there were 13 instances of the word returned, most food related. in 2005 there were 305 and I was the top search result. 2015 there were 10,600 and I was the second top search result. Today there's 59,200 and top results are for a drug. I'm relegated to the second page and that's just my slashdot account, you have to look a lot harder to find my creative output on the web these days.

But I'm attached to the name now. It's unusual, short and memorable.
Funnily enough I've been going through some old paper memories I took down from the attic today and this is in there. This is what Gog Rizole started out as before he got a name. I'd have been maybe 11 or 12 when I did this.
IMG_20200927_165809.jpg

He'd turned into this a couple of years later.
gog.jpg

And by the time I'd hit my early 20's (and got my first email) he looked like this.

rizole.jpg

So not Italian, just very childish and silly.

And I'll get over not having a prize. I may be childish and silly but I'm not that bad. :feet:

I used to draw zombies in class as a kid with my mate when we should have been paying attention to the lesson (geography and history bored me deeply). One of the zombies was called Gog Rizole for no particular reason. Years later, when I came to sign up for my first email address in the late 90's my real name was already taken. I'd kept rizole around and developed the character as I got older so it was the first thing that came into my head.

I've been counting. Back then when you googled "rizole" there were 13 instances of the word returned, most food related. in 2005 there were 305 and I was the top search result. 2015 there were 10,600 and I was the second top search result. Today there's 59,200 and top results are for a drug. I'm relegated to the second page and that's just my slashdot account, you have to look a lot harder to find my creative output on the web these days.

Funnily enough I've been going through some old paper memories I took down from the attic today and this is in there. This is what Gog Rizole started out as before he got a name. I'd have been maybe 11 or 12 when I did this.
View attachment 160809

View attachment 160810

And by the time I'd hit my early 20's (and got my first email) he looked like this.

View attachment 160811

And I'll get over not having a prize. I may be childish and silly but I'm not that bad. :feet:
I am super impressed with your artistry!!!.

View attachment 160809

View attachment 160810

View attachment 160811

Wow!
That last one done in your twenties!
Amazing work! Scratch board and pen ‘n’ ink?
Downright masterful accomplishment!
I’m in awe!
Dave

Wow!
That last one done in your twenties!
Amazing work! Scratch board and pen ‘n’ ink?
Downright masterful accomplishment!
I’m in awe!
Dave
Thank you.
Paper, pen, ink and permanent marker. Later scanned and adjusted in photoshop to get the dark negative space a more consistent black and abit more contrast into the picture.

To break the palpable suspense, the plant in question is a relative of the dandelion called “Salsify”, some varieties of which are cultivated for their edible roots... seeds are commercially available. Another name is “goatsbeard” (Tragopogon dubius)
Oh yes! I’ve heard of salsify! Or maybe read it in a novel... in any case, now I’ve seen one thanks to you. :)

Thanks, John; I’ll have a look at them.
Dave
Oh yes! I’ve heard of salsify! Or maybe read it in a novel... in any case, now I’ve seen one thanks to you. :)
hi,Rose, Thank you for your comments.
I’d like to say I know how salsify tastes, but the last time I had some, a friend with whom I was hiking the Appalachian Trail in NW Connecticut back in the late 50s gathered some of the roots and included them in a highly seasoned chili! The chili was, either because of or in spite of the Salsify, delicious!!
Dave

Back
Top Bottom