IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
Many people don’t realise that there is a reasonably powerful editor behind ImaEngine.

Here’s a quick 20 minute video which by no means covers all the editing options but will set you off to discovering what you can do yourself. It does have some quirks which you find out as you go along. I hope I have highlighted some. It does help to have some knowledge of vectors if you decide to change the lines and nodes but you can pick it up with a bit of practise.

Here is the cheat sheet for the options:
718C6183-B1CC-4FFA-9AC6-B9C4A83C8F07.png

You can virtually create an image from scratch or here’s an example of how you can move the shapes around to give it a jigsaw look.
86158AEB-B410-45A1-ADD3-1756EB889C6F.png

I didn’t go into too much detail on vector editing but for those who understand vectors here are a couple of points:
You cannot add a node so be carefully about deleting too many.
If you double-tap on a node you change the type of node although you can’t seem to go back to creating a sharp node.
You can’t unselect a node with an Apple Pencil.

CORRECTION: Procreate does seem to recognise the transparent PNGs now so maybe there was an update on one of the apps.

Last edited:
Ooh! Thank you! I’m heading out to my local vegetable stand to return the “Beets $2 a bunch” sign that I accidentally stole when I bought the bunch of beets earlier. :lmao: I’ll check it out when I get back.

Wow! I had no idea! I don’t think I’ve ever been in the editor!
There are absolutely no tutorials on it anywhere. It took me ages to work out how each of the tools worked. Once you know it seems easy but heck it wasn’t.

I didn’t explain the palette at the bottom. Basically you can replace a colour with another but only ones that already exist in the palette. It doesn’t help much unless you have just a few large pieces of colour.

Many people don’t realise that there is a reasonably powerful editor behind ImaEngine.

Here’s a quick 20 minute video which by no means covers all the editing options but will set you off to discovering what you can do yourself. It does have some quirks which you find out as you go along. I hope I have highlighted some. It does help to have some knowledge of vectors if you decide to change the lines and nodes but you can pick it up with a bit of practise.

View attachment 159385

You can virtually create an image from scratch or here’s an example of how you can move the shapes around to give it a jigsaw look.
View attachment 159386

I didn’t go into too much detail on vector editing but for those who understand vectors here are a couple of points:
If you double-tap on a node you change the type of node although you can’t seem to go back to creating a sharp node.

CORRECTION: Procreate does seem to recognise the transparent PNGs now so maybe there was an update on one of the apps.
:notworthy:

View attachment 159385

View attachment 159386

Hmm, I see that Nicki FitzGerald provided a tutorial for ImaEngine editing for the Mobiography magazine two months after I provided this tutorial. She has chosen three of my images this year for her Apps Uncovered where I emphasised the usefulness of ImaEngine. I‘ve never seen her use it in her images before now and all of a sudden she’s an expert. I’ve often wondered if she used Apps Uncovered to learn about the apps from other people that might be useful to her.

Last edited:
Hmm, I see that Nicki FitzGerald provided a tutorial for ImaEngine editing for the Mobiography magazine two months after I provided this tutorial. She has chosen three of my images this year for her Apps Uncovered where I emphasised the usefulness of ImaEngine. I’ve often wondered if she used Apps Uncovered to learn about the apps from other people that might be useful to her.
Curious, indeed.

How the heck do you pronounce ImaEngine??? It may be a great app but it has a horrible name. :barf: Ima Engine? I’m an Engine??Are they trying to do a play on imagine? Ugh. :expressionless:

Back
Top Bottom