Image of the Month IMAGE of the Month???

sinnerjohn

IOTM WInner - April 2022
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Onsite
Project Page
I've been toying for a while on starting an 'image on the month' thread. The idea is that any member could nominate (copy and paste into the thread or however) their favourite images that they have come across on Mobitog during that month.
Maybe between 1 - 3 images, the only caveat would be that the images were (a) not their own :rolleyes: and (b) posted, not necessarily taken, in that Month. The images could be from any of the challenges or personal streams or 365's for that particular month.

Then at the end of the month we could VOTE i.e. anyone could say I vote for this image and the votes could be counted to get a popular winner. There would be a timeframe for voting, maybe the first week of the following month.

Its a shame that the winner's image couldn't be prominently displayed for the next month, that whole 'news' section is a bit wasted imho.

Why....... well I'm all for members interacting and maybe less post and run. Also some of the challenge winners are very subjective to that weeks particular judge, c'mon we've all raised our eyebrows some weeks and thought 'that won? how?' ;)
It's also an easy thing to do as it doesn't require anyone to take a new image, just lurk around Mobitog a bit and look at the amazing images people post.
AND I think there's always room for something else.

Thoughts? Obviously if I've missed something and its a REALLY BAD IDEA you need to shout up.......please !!

Last edited:
I've been toying for a while on starting an 'image on the month' thread. The idea is that any member could nominate (copy and paste into the thread or however) their favourite images that they have come across on Mobitog during that month.
Maybe between 1 - 3 images, the only caveat would be that the images were (a) not their own :rolleyes: and (b) posted, not necessarily taken, in that Month. The images could be from any of the challenges or personal streams or 365's for that particular month.

Then at the end of the month we could VOTE i.e. anyone could say I vote for this image and the votes could be counted to get a popular winner. There would be a timeframe for voting, maybe the first week of the following month.

Its a shame that the winner's image couldn't be prominently displayed for the next month, that whole 'news' section is a bit wasted imho.

Why....... well I'm all for members interacting and maybe less post and run. Also some of the challenge winners are very subjective to that weeks particular judge, c'mon we've all raised our eyebrows some weeks and thought 'that won? how?' ;)
It's also an easy thing to do as it doesn't require anyone to take a new image, just lurk around Mobitog a bit and look at the amazing images people post.

Thoughts? Obviously if I've missed something and its a REALLY BAD IDEA you need to shout up.......please !!
Well, I think it’s a good idea. :thumbs: I’m sure that some Mobi fairy could set up a header where the votes can be registered anonymously (I’m sure I’ve seen that somewhere before). Let’s see what everyone else thinks. So, just to reiterate, these images can be from anywhere within Mobitog.

Well, I think it’s a good idea. :thumbs: I’m sure that some Mobi fairy could set up a header where the votes can be registered anonymously (I’m sure I’ve seen that somewhere before). Let’s see what everyone else thinks. So, just to reiterate, these images can be from anywhere within Mobitog.
Yes 365, any personal threads, BW/Colour/Appstract challenges, anywhere you may find an image on Mobitog that particular month, so the subject matter is wide open.
Why would the votes have to be anon Jilly?

Yes 365, any personal threads, BW/Colour/Appstract challenges, anywhere you may find an image on Mobitog that particular month, so the subject matter is wide open.
Why would the votes have to be anon Jilly?
No, they don’t. But I think that system where you just press a button at the top of the screen doesn’t give details of the members who have voted. I was thinking that that system might be easier to count than someone physically going through the thread and counting the votes. But now I think of it, that system wouldn’t work because members will be picking their photo and putting it into the thread. Forget I said anything about that voting thingy. I was doing a Trump and musing without any thought whatsoever. :lmao:

No, they don’t. But I think that system where you just press a button at the top of the screen doesn’t give details of the members who have voted. I was thinking that that system might be easier to count than someone physically going through the thread and counting the votes. But now I think of it, that system wouldn’t work because members will be picking their photo and putting it into the thread. Forget I said anything about that voting thingy. I was doing a Trump and musing without any thought whatsoever. :lmao:
No I'm glad you've had thoughts Jilly :thumbs:
I was considering giving everyone 3 votes, 5 points for first choice, 2 points for second choice and 1 point for 3rd choice. Which makes it easier to sort out a winner (maybe). I'm happy to count votes (its not like all 3000 Mobitog members will take part :lol: )

I like it!

I like it, especially the idea of nominating someone else's work. I'd been musing about something similar but stumbled over this: I think you're right that there has to be only a limited number of nominations one person can make. But if you make your nominations in real time, so to speak, as great photos strike you, then you'll probably use up your slots early in the month and not be able to nominate even better ones that show up later. On the other hand, if everyone waits until the end of the month, they'll find it tough to review a month's worth of images posted all over the place -- it's not that easy digging up the past on MobiTog. So I'm wondering if a shorter period might be better?

I like it, especially the idea of nominating someone else's work. I'd been musing about something similar but stumbled over this: I think you're right that there has to be only a limited number of nominations one person can make. But if you make your nominations in real time, so to speak, as great photos strike you, then you'll probably use up your slots early in the month and not be able to nominate even better ones that show up later. On the other hand, if everyone waits until the end of the month, they'll find it tough to review a month's worth of images posted all over the place -- it's not that easy digging up the past on MobiTog. So I'm wondering if a shorter period might be better?
Thanks for the input Ted. Do you mean a shorter period as in image of the week, or fortnight?
I totally get what you mean as I've thought about that already. I just assumed anyone that was struck by a particular image would maybe nominate it straight away, but I take your point about using your votes early in the month or digging around for something you saw a couple of weeks ago.
I'm not sure if the thread would stand being shortened in period.

Thanks for the input Ted. Do you mean a shorter period as in image of the week, or fortnight?
I totally get what you mean as I've thought about that already. I just assumed anyone that was struck by a particular image would maybe nominate it straight away, but I take your point about using your votes early in the month or digging around for something you saw a couple of weeks ago.
You may be right there. I was thinking fortnight, but no matter what we start with, we can always tweak it later if it needs help.
Nice idea, John! Especially since it looks like you'll be running the show... :smile: :whistle: :coffee:
I vote for a two week period - once a month would probably be too long, and once a week too quick (nowadays especially). I'm even thinking of changing the MobiColor to bi-weekly.

Nice idea, John. Look forward to seeing how it evolves.

re ‘shame it can’t be prominently displayed for a month’ — I can‘t see why not?

‘That news section’ has recently been freed from some technical glitches and it’s ready to go. Smooth Matt has even changed the order of the posts, so that the most recent appears at the top of the page.

I haven’t yet made the time (or gathered the focus) to kick it off again by posting winning images and/or other news-worthy, display-for-a-month-worthy items. You don’t have to wait for me, though —you are most welcome to use the news feed to announce your new thread and to display winning images.

I’ll have to check with Smooth Matt about the ‘feed’ bit - I don’t know how/if that’s working yet. But you can start using it anyway, and I’ll keep you posted about the tech fine-tuning :thumbs:

Still thinking... Maybe we could be limited to a certain number of choices per week? That way we don't have to save our nominations until the end (and then go hunting for that great pic we saw a couple of weeks ago).

Nice idea, John! Especially since it looks like you'll be running the show... :smile: :whistle: :coffee:
I vote for a two week period - once a month would probably be too long, and once a week too quick (nowadays especially). I'm even thinking of changing the MobiColor to bi-weekly.
I have no problem running it, although to my way of thinking 'Image of the Month' sounds better than 'Image of the fortnight' ;)
The colour or color challenge is obviously your baby but I'd say personally if it goes over a week I sometimes loose a little interest in it. Sometimes a short quick turnover I find more exciting, especially if a particular theme doesn't grab me, I know I've only a week before we get another.
Maybe that's just me though.

I’ll have to check with @Smooth Matt about the ‘feed’ bit - I don’t know how/if that’s working yet. But you can start using it anyway, and I’ll keep you posted about the tech fine-tuning :thumbs:
As always :notworthy:

Still thinking... Maybe we could be limited to a certain number of choices per week? That way we don't have to save our nominations until the end (and then go hunting for that great pic we saw a couple of weeks ago).
Well I'm not going to dictate what people do with their votes but maybe if we had 4 or 5 choices over the month, members could discipline themselves to think about nominating one a week?
This is why I think if its a monthly occurrence, you might be in the second or third week before something really hits you. A shorter timeframe would mean maybe a rushed selection. I think I need to run it and see what happens, maybe it will fall flat on its face :rolleyes:

The 365's /52's often go largely unnoticed, which is a shame as there are some really nice images there too.

Could do with a little more input from the other 'regulars'.

Last edited:
I have no problem running it, although to my way of thinking 'Image of the Month' sounds better than 'Image of the fortnight' ;)
The colour or color challenge is obviously your baby but I'd say personally if it goes over a week I sometimes loose a little interest in it. Sometimes a short quick turnover I find more exciting, especially if a particular theme doesn't grab me, I know I've only a week before we get another.
Maybe that's just me though.

As always :notworthy:

Well I'm not going to dictate what people do with their votes but maybe if we had 4 or 5 choices over the month, members could discipline themselves to think about nominating one a week?
This is why I think if its a monthly occurrence, you might be in the second or third week before something really hits you. A shorter timeframe would mean maybe a rushed selection. I think I need to run it and see what happens, maybe it will fall flat on its face :rolleyes:

The 365's /52's often go largely unnoticed, which is a shame as there are some really nice images there too.

Could do with a little more input from the other 'regulars'.
Any new challenge (idea, invention.....) is a dynamic entity. It grows and changes, evolves, endlessly IMHO. (I hope I used the acronym correctly!) I think it’s a great idea!

Two more thoughts.

I did see this as being in run in real time i.e. the month would start on the 1st May (for example) and nominations would be open until the 31st May. So that during the month's perusal of Mobitog any member can nominate images they come across.

The other way would be to do it retrospectively on May 1st for the month of April and go back and look at what had been posted in April. That would be more work for the members imho, as you would have to trawl through several different threads unless you had a particular image in mind.

I think the real time method is simpler, thoughts?

Also is 'Image of the Month' ok, or to steal from elsewhere, 'Monthly Spotlight' or 'Mobitog Spotlight'?

Back
Top Bottom