Image sizes and resolutions

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Thanks to Mobitog I finally have a platform to voice my pet concern about iPhoneography - sizes and resolutions. Back in February, someone wanted to use one of my images as the cover of an album, however when I sent it over via e-mail (as a file, not an attachment), I was told it would only go as big as a postage stamp before pixellating!

I now routinely resize my final images to 1600x1200 pixels via Iris or Filterstorm (or close enough), as that seems to be optimal for mobile phone viewing. However, sometimes even the resized images appear humongous on the mobile phone?! For competitions, especially when the rules state an image must be a minimum of 1 MB, I put my images thru my laptop's default photo viewer which has a resize facility, and double or triple the pixel count. I figured if I blow up the pixel count, the image can accordingly be blown up bigger too - using the theory that, for example, 4800pixels / 300 dpi = 16 inches max sizewise. At least that's what sites like www.Fineartamerica.com tell me.

I'd love to know what my fellow iPhoneographers are going through with regards sizes and resolutions. It's not an issue if you're just keeping the images virtual, but it becomes a problem when you get down to actually printing off a physical image.

I tend to aim at about 1000 pix on its longest edge for all things virtual. Most people have monitors set to over the 1k mark so they can view your images without having to scroll.

When it comes to printing, I store all my originals in Lightroom - then export at different sizes from there.

As for apps - as a general rule of thumb I have them set to the very maximum always.

You can downsize a lot better than upscaling :D

Did your image get used in the end?

Back
Top Bottom