Instagram is Dead, Long Live..

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
Judging by the current raft of adverse publicity that Meta and Instagram are facing, and the fact that its parent company is haemorraging cash, I have been wondering about a decent app on which to post photographs, both for my own pleasure and as a means to share and find like minded individuals work. Meta was very quick to stamp out a promising app which basically shut off Instagrams add and AI logarithm interference, allowing users to just see stuff they wanted, rather than have to sift through endless ads and suggestions, so that avenue was a non starter.

However, as interest in an 'old style' sharing platform mounts, a new app called 'Plates' has been released, which may be suitable.

Its early days, but it looks ok so far. See what you think.. Available for Android and IOS too.

Judging by the current raft of adverse publicity that Meta and Instagram are facing, and the fact that its parent company is haemorraging cash, I have been wondering about a decent app on which to post photographs, both for my own pleasure and as a means to share and find like minded individuals work. Meta was very quick to stamp out a promising app which basically shut off Instagrams add and AI logarithm interference, allowing users to just see stuff they wanted, rather than have to sift through endless ads and suggestions, so that avenue was a non starter.

However, as interest in an 'old style' sharing platform mounts, a new app called 'Plates' has been released, which may be suitable.

Its early days, but it looks ok so far. See what you think.. Available for Android and IOS too.
I'm your first follower. :D
Looks like they use plate as a catch all, bit like an IG hashtag. Interesting.

Last edited:

MobiTog not good enough? Not a loaded question, just curious.

Amusing that Plates have an Instagram account too :lol: Personally I don't think IG has had its day, problems yes, but its all down to who you follow and any platform needs hard work to get followers. Not sure Plates has any legs, it will be a while before it gets enough people to make it interesting.
For me,
MobiTog
Instagram
Flickr
the rest are probably not worth the bother.

Last edited:
That's 68 pictures of cats uploaded, 3 followers, one subscriber and a handful, of likes. :p Not bad for an evenings work.

I quite like the idea of plates. They are like galleries, not hashtags, that you can make on your own or collaborate on as a group. If a few mobimembers end up on plate we could do a mobitog collab plate perhaps. You can add a website address to a plate, perhaps get a bit of traffic from there back here. :thinking:
Nice find WOTANICUS

MobiTog not good enough? Not a loaded question, just curious.

Amusing that Plates have an Instagram account too :lol: Personally I don't think IG has had its day, problems yes, but its all down to who you follow and any platform needs hard work to get followers. Not sure Plates has any legs, it will be a while before it gets enough people to make it interesting.
For me,
MobiTog
Instagram
Flickr
the rest are probably not worth the bother.
Do you get much response on Flickr? I haven't posted anything there in a long time.
That's 68 pictures of cats uploaded, 3 followers, one subscriber and a handful, of likes.
You've got another subscriber now. Not sure I'm going to stick around, but it gave me the chance to claim "terse".

Do you get much response on Flickr? I haven't posted anything there in a long time.
Well, no, me neither, but I find Flickr needs more work to get anywhere, commenting etc. It's my, if all else fails go to. I run (or they run themselves) a few groups there and I occasionally log in to approve new images moderate etc. Not sure Flickr is that mobile friendly either, it's still the domain of the big dslr boys.

I'm your first follower. :D
Looks like they use plate as a catch all, bit like an IG hashtag. Interesting.
Ive followed you back! I've jus put a few images up to see how it works, if I like the look of the mechanics, ill curate it a bit better.

I wanted somewhere to post all my photography, not just mobile stuff, as I have tons of shots from my compact. Also need somewhere that I can create a gallery for my own amusement, that I can flick through and compare.

Ive followed you back! I've jus put a few images up to see how it works, if I like the look of the mechanics, ill curate it a bit better.
I’ve followed you and Rizole and Ted. I didn’t really know what I was doing (tried “Subscribe” first, before I saw “Follow” :facepalm: ).

That's 68 pictures of cats uploaded, 3 followers, one subscriber and a handful, of likes. :p Not bad for an evenings work.

I quite like the idea of plates. They are like galleries, not hashtags, that you can make on your own or collaborate on as a group. If a few mobimembers end up on plate we could do a mobitog collab plate perhaps. You can add a website address to a plate, perhaps get a bit of traffic from there back here. :thinking:
Nice find WOTANICUS
I’m still trying to work it out…..but I do already have a follower!

That's everybody on this thread invited as curators. I'm not sure how it works but I can see John is listed now so I'm guessing you accepted the invitation John.
Obviously, everyone is free to participate on that plate as they see fit. I'd vote for a "post your best pieces" approach for those that do. And it's worth drip feeding stuff in there for best attention, not a cat carpet bombing like I did last night. A steady stream of content gets noticed more widely and for longer than a short, heavy, burst.

That's everybody on this thread invited as curators. I'm not sure how it works but I can see John is listed now so I'm guessing you accepted the invitation John.
Obviously, everyone is free to participate on that plate as they see fit. I'd vote for a "post your best pieces" approach for those that do. And it's worth drip feeding stuff in there for best attention, not a cat carpet bombing like I did last night. A steady stream of content gets noticed more widely and for longer than a short, heavy, burst.
I did

Back
Top Bottom