• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

Interview with Giancarlo Beltrame, alias Bobocinema

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Thank you! I really enjoy Giancarlo's work! Perhaps he can stop by here and join in the fun? :sneaky: :thumbs: :D

Venomator

MobiLifer
Admin
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
And in google translate English, kind courtesy of @davidroccato ... :thumbs:

Interview with Giancarlo Beltrame. Cutting Film
UPDATED 02/26/2014 BY ANTONELLA MANCA 4 COMMENTS

Today we are pleased to have with us Giancarlo Beltrame, a former journalist and movie buff as well iPhoneografia Artist Mobile, who passionately tells his artistic career, his passions, applications and much more.

Hello Giancarlo. Welcome. Introduce yourself to our readers
The chronological age deception. I am 62 years old, but as an "artist" are very young, having started three years ago or so, when I retired from my job as a journalist. Before I was always limited to studying the images of others, both as a film critic and photography, both as a professor of semiotics of film at the University of Verona, where for a decade, I had a teaching contract.

And how did this transition from education to the artistic activity?
The breakthrough came when I discovered the potential of the iPhone. While owning a professional camera, the Canon 5 Mark II, and despite having begun with the photographic projects that I published it on Facebook, one of which later merged in an exhibition in December 2011, I did not feel satisfied. Sure, I could take photographs "beautiful", "significant", "socially useful", but every time I came to a finish line I felt that someone else had done it before and, above all, better than me. I said to myself: "Well, you've shown that they can do it too this type of pictures, but really what's your?". And every day more increased in me the feeling that traditional photography, in all its various conjugations, was now dead. Lost in the pursuit of ever greater technical perfection, but almost always without a soul.

The iPhoneography does not run the same risk?
Given that it is the technical tool to create art in itself, and that this also applies to the iPhone and other smartphone or tablet, the iPhoneography and Mobilephotography on the one hand led to a democratization of photography, thanks to the possibility of dissemination and interconnection offered by the Internet and in particular social networks, on the other hand have unleashed creative energies with traditional photography would have struggled a lot more to find the form and dissemination.Considering the question in terms of the history of photography, it seems to witness one of those sudden renovations of the photographic language that periodically rocked certainties.

Today there is an international community of iPhoneartisti and mobileartisti who, with great enthusiasm in all and in full consciousness of some phenomenon, is exploring a frantic speed new frontiers in photography, you should be changing all the time in an uninterrupted flow of images . And if the ninety-nine point ninety-nine of them are scum (see Instagram world), just a zero point zero one percent to be able to say that we are facing a new stage in the evolution of the photographic art.

Getting back to you, your art is a kind of meta-linguistic ...
With my history as a scholar of film and photographic images was an outlet almost inevitable, even if I only realized progressively.When I started posting my pictures on sites with iphoneart.com, some commentators have pointed to the "cinematic" of my shots. In fact, there was in them the memory of so many visions and the same nickname that I chose, Bobocinema, refer to my theoretical and visual. By the time this inclination has become a choice, giving rise to real series, such as "My Cinematographic Ghosts," where shots handful of movies that I love, or "The Ghosts of Francesca Woodman", dedicated to the great American photographer, who only 600 shots before dying suicide at age 22, has radically changed the picture.

How are your images? How were the ideas and associations?
When shooting, preferably with one of the almost infinite combinations of Hipstamatic (although I have my favorites ...) or Mpro if I want a picture in black and white and starting in Tiff format, I already know in broad terms, at least for some time, what kind of digital collage I will need and how those photos will combine with others.

I then happened to photograph some theater, or street performers, or to create self-portraits in museums and exhibitions in front of works of great emotional impact for me or even "steal" Models and sets to the participants of the workshop of the cultural Mima (http://www.mima.cc/) of which I am part of scientific management. Imagine then in the evening, before going to sleep, go almost automatically to be associated with some of the more than 15 thousand that I have taken in the last three years (my first shot with the iPhone is 19 December 2010) or with the memory of a movie or a picture that emerges from memory and I'm going to try in my film library in my books or photos.

And 'there, in the dark, lying in bed, when the barriers fall defenses of the conscious and the unconscious is preparing for his intense dream work night, my fingers across the screen of the iPad (which I've since May 2012, to the salvation of my eyes, that's why I am very grateful ...) to create my visions with various apps.

But the same results can not be achieved with Photoshop?
Technically, yes. And surely they would be "better" if the goal was to hide all traces of the work of construction of the image, every step and every imperfection. But the heaviness of the program, at least for me, would ultimately stifle inspiration. The speed of implementation that allow the app on the iPad, the ability to divert for a moment from the initial idea to try a different option, in short, the lightness of all it allows me to not get lost on the way. They are very "impressionist" in my work, more work on the perception of the whole that the accuracy of the details. And then they are no longer a young man, so I have lost time and create a lot of images. At least one a day.

The eye is a constant of your photos ...
The eye is the organ of my body that I used the most. Of the five senses, sight is the one that brought me knowledge. It 'was the door through which my conscience was looking at the world and the external stimuli came inside me. Hence the constant presence in my pictures, where my eye is almost always one of the, if not the central focus. The eye is dedicated to a series that I called "Lunar My Eyes", because it is explored as if it were a lunar crater. Often it is combined with the element of time, almost fused with another circular object, clock, sometimes broken, crushed or without hands.It then becomes an inner eye, called to probe and explore the darker aspects of my psyche.

Your works evoke surrealism. Are you inspired by any particular artist or current?
I am inspired by everyone and no one in particular. As I said before, some images emerge almost by themselves from memory as fragments of an unconscious internalization. In me is very strong then the presence of dreaming. My dreams come in the images I create. Obviously mediated through forms and symbolic objects.One of these is certainly the mask. Not only because it appears in two series, "Masks" and "One, No One and One Hundred Thousand", a clear reference to the themes of Pirandello (which I did not choose a priori, the titles are in fact the last thing that I find to an image, but that Pirandello chose them myself), but because it is linked to the theme of the eye, is the meta-language.

Your passion for cinema in a way that affects your production?
A lot. I've already told you how the movie is that I do this in cutting the shots, especially when I devote myself to the street iphoneography (every now and then, to give breath to the inner turmoil, I love to capture life flowing) and how it came to arrogance in some series of images, from the outset, as in a portrait image of the legendary Marilyn. But there is also another important aspect of my work, which is the realization of what we might call VideoMobileArt, ie assembly of photographic images made with your smartphone or tablet. Here my passion for film feels whole.Some of these videos, all visible in my channel on Youtube and Vimeo, are entirely focused on my images, such as "Francesca's Hell" or "My Lunar Eyes", while others are the result of the involvement of a specific project of the international community of the mobile artists.

Explain this better ...
It all started in the autumn of 2012, when I invited the artists with whom I was in contact on Facebook or other social to send me pictures of mobileart they have carried on a theme inspired by Dante, that is how they saw Hell, Purgatory and Paradise today.They came hundreds of images from around the world, then I have selected and assembled in three separate videos, presented in a video installation created specifically inside a cave in the park of a Venetian villa, in conjunction with the projection on the ceiling, on the wall and on the floor of the three movies.

The proposal and the implementation was much appreciated by the artists involved, so when two months after I asked them to repeat sending works on a different theme, a halt to violence against women, the response was equally strong. "SVAW", which stands for Stop Violence Against Women, was presented in another video installation, created by artist Veronese Iaia Zanella and with the help of another artist, Silvia Calcagno, in a former church in Verona, San Giorgeto.

The result was a kind of altarpiece iphoneografica dedicated to the martyrdom of women victims of femicide in the year. And when in November, 2013, on input once again the art critic Maria Teresa Ferrari, I asked him to repeat the experience, he is born "SVAW 2/013", this time presented in the foyer of a theater proceeds in turn to 'inside of another former church, the Camploy. In many have participated in these projects from all over the world, my job, in addition to launching the initiative, was to treat the assembly, create the animation and the music.

Finally, what are the apps you use the most and which do you prefer?
As I said above, to take and use Hipstamatic Mpro, more rarely the camera of my iPhone 5 (the previous four had a bad end, crushed by a truck), ProCamera, SlowShutter or PRO 645 Mk II. For example, if I make a trip, I like it for every city that I go hunting for images use a combination of different Hipsta. To create digital collages, use superimpose (where I also have a library of forms, textures, shapes and recurring objects, real fetishes iconic transiting from one image to another) or Leonardo. While additional steps, once completed, the base image, I can use Pic Grunger, Diptic, Snapseed, PsExpress, Retouch, PhotoForge2, ScratchCam, FocalLab, iDarkroom, Laminar, Pixlromatic, Grunge, Elasticam, Noir, Artist Oil, decimated ( , TouchUp Pro iRetouch, LensFlare, Painteresque Distressed or FX. So, my final choice depends on the outcome of texture and coloring that I intend to achieve.

Have you ever print your photos?
I just started. Thanks to my friend Luke Chistè, Trentino great photographer who loves to explore the iPhoneography, I made some test prints of fine art on paper Canson baryta, 40 × 40 cm, after a resampling of PPE with Photoshop, with results of great finesse . I rode a road that he had undertaken with his pictures taken with Hipstamatic. But I have come up with another solution, using non-photographic paper, but paper of high quality cotton with a weight 290 and natural white. I believe to be the first if not the only one among the mobileartisti to have opted for this choice.Get tones more delicate, less vivid, and the imperfection of the images lies softly on the roughness of this type of paper. Meeting certain softness of the old Bromoil of the thirties, forties and fifties of the last century.

Thanks Giancarlo, it was a pleasure to listen to your story which reflected the immense passion that you put into everything you do.
If you want to know more, see the card artist Giancarlo Beltrame , where you will also find his contacts and links to see the galleries in social.

Venomator

MobiLifer
Admin
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Thank you friends, it was many months that i don't enter in mobitog... mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa...
Hey bobocinema - great to see you visiting our humble MobiCommunity again, welcome sir... :notworthy:

Hopefully, you will like the new look MobiTog and might dally awhile longer this time... :rog:

A superb interview and truly excellent iMagery to accompany it, we are honoured to be permitted to use the content by our friend davidroccato ... :D