iOrnament Snow Globe Tutorial

FotoLumos

MobiPassionista
Real Name
Tara Lyn Joseph
Jen zenjenny asked me to do a tutorial describing how I created my Snow Globe double exposure image using iOrnament.

Here's the final image:

2015-12-30+20.59.41-1.jpg

This image began as a doodle session in iOrnament, as I explored the various features. It reminded me of making paper snowflakes as a kid, so I decided to do just that.

(I didn't know I'd be writing a tutorial, so I didn't document the process. The following is basically what I did, though!)

Upon opening iOrnament I selected my desired ornament type. In the Pro version, you can choose from flat, spherical and kaleidoscopic designs. I chose the spherical group from the lower right icons.

2016-01-04+16.47.06.png

Each ornament type has addition options for how individual strokes are duplicated. After some experimental strokes, I chose the second from the left on the bottom row.

2016-01-04+16.47.15.png

Next I opened the brush menu. There are settings here for brush size, brightness, saturation, opacity and blur, as well as some specialty brushes and an eraser. This is also the panel where you can save your work for later and export to the camera roll or social media.

For this image, I just used the standard brush at full opacity in various sizes, in white and black only.

2016-01-04+16.47.25.png

I began by making random strokes in white. Have fun and experiment - the undo button appears to be unlimited, and you can also use the eraser to adjust.

2016-01-04+16.47.44.png

You can use the standard two-fingered gestures to pan and zoom. You can also use two fingers to "rotate" your sphere.

I continued until I liked the basic white pattern.

2016-01-04+16.56.06.png

Next, I added some filigree type detail using a black brush.

2016-01-04+17.07.49.png

While the sphere was the shape that worked for my Snow Globe design, it's worth noting that you can get many different looks from a single drawing just by changing the rendering settings or ornament type.

Here's the same design as a flat pattern...

2016-01-04+17.08.43.png

...and as a kaleidoscopic ornament...

2016-01-04+17.14.08.png

Anyway! Back to the task at hand. Once you're happy with your ornament, go back to the Settings panel and save it.

NOTE: Your image will appear exactly as it does on your screen, so be sure you are zoomed/rotated to the position you prefer. This goes for the other types as well. You can scale your design up or down before saving and that's the size your pattern will be.

Unfortunately, iOrnament saves images in a very strange way, that leaves you with a sphere that's only about 600px across. (The developer seems more interested in the app as a mathematical exercise than a high resolution design generator, sadly).

Here's what that looks like:

2016-01-04+17.08.07.jpg

Next Up: Assembling the Double Exposure...

Part Two: Assembling the Double Exposure

I imported my finished snowflake sphere and this image, taken in Yosemite, into the Diana double exposure app.

IMG_3006.JPG

I flipped through the various presets until I found one that worked. (The globe effect alone could also be accomplished in any layering app, with the blend mode set to screen, although Diana also applies various color and tone effects at the same time.)

2015-12-29+20.34.13.jpg

One of the variations that Diana came up with obliterated my background image, but it looked so sparkly and pretty, I saved it.

2015-12-29+20.35.53.jpg

I then blended it using the Mixer tool in Enlight. Again, pretty much any layering app would work.

2015-12-30+20.55.14.jpg

Then, because I apparently can't get enough bokeh, I added a little more in LensLight and a subtle gradient in Mextures for the final image.

2015-12-30+20.59.41-1.jpg

That's basically it! Hope it all makes sense!

Despite its resolution limitations, iOrnament is a lot of fun to play with (not to mention, kind of relaxing).

I've played with upsizing the exported designs with varying success, depending on the complexity and fine detail of the pattern. As long as you're just adding smaller elements to a piece or blending the pattern into other textures, though, you may be able to create usable assets. (And maybe if we all bug the developer, they'll up the resolution!)

Fabuloso Tara!!! I remember a long time ago I had this app, and couldn't for the life of me figure it out so I deleted it.... this is very handy to have! Thanks for all your time/effort to put it together. :notworthy:

Great job, Tara!! Thank you for taking the time to write the tutorial and post if for us.

Back
Top Bottom