iOS 11 IS HERE!

I think all Apple stuff is more or less pointed to a non professional user. You know, „housewife friendly user experience“ :) Such a user never would export images to PC or Mac directly if at all. They would instead use Dropbox or anything similar to store, Flicker, Instagram and the like to present images to the masses or ship them in eMails or toss them around using AirDrop. In any of this use cases (to my knowledge) images or videos get converted. They don’t need to care about the file format. They never would care about what is a standard. Lucky people :)

I think the new format will eventually be a standard. In some years maybe. Until then let’s hope for updates for our beloved apps.

I am for about a year now in that housewife mode. :) I left the „pro“ behind. So I appreciate the format change and still can enjoy just making photos, mangling them in the Photos app and that’s it.

My question is this. Is this a standard format that everybody will move towards?
Can't be certain, but it could. It's not an Apple-proprietary format -- it's a standard from the industry MPEG group (them of MP3, MP4, etc.). It's feasible now because today's faster/more powerful devices can handle the compression computation easily. And it should have advantages over JPEG beyond the compression -- less banding, etc. That still doesn't guarantee it'll succeed in becoming a common format, but having Apple adopt it for the iPhone is a good start.

Can't be certain, but it could. It's not an Apple-proprietary format -- it's a standard from the industry MPEG group (them of MP3, MP4, etc.). It's feasible now because today's faster/more powerful devices can handle the compression computation easily. And it should have advantages over JPEG beyond the compression -- less banding, etc. That still doesn't guarantee it'll succeed in becoming a common format, but having Apple adopt it for the iPhone is a good start.
I took some video on my iPhone using the new format and then tried it in all the apps that I use for video and it was fine even on my iPad mini which I'm not upgrading to 11 so I'm happy. I see there are already sites where you can convert online if I ever decide I want to use the PC which is not likely at the moment. I have an old version of Studio Artist and have been contemplating doing some rotoscoping but so many apps do it now anyway. SA is brilliant but so complex and requires dedication to fully exploit.

I also did some video on the iPad Pro but the camera option doesn't have a format option so I wasn't sure what the format was.

Here on MobiTog we are primarily involved in an all-mobile experience so it doesn’t much matter what is happening “out there”. As long as the file format works ok with the apps we use then it is a potentially useful improvement. Backing up your files to a computer is currently a problem, unless you are going to convert them all to standard first, which reduces the advantage. Video will have a greater advantage than stills since many people are already using tiff when possible or .dng for stills but there’s no tiff or dng option for video. FiLMiC Pro can record video in a higher quality format but it doesn’t work in the camera roll so it can only be exported through iTunes File Sharing to a computer for use in better quality computer video programs. The benefits of tiff and .dng would mostly be appreciated on a computer afterwards. For the on mobile device screen experience or the reduced resolution images posted online it doesn’t yet make much difference.

Well, I can tell you this much. If I have any HEIC or HEVC files on my iPhone 7 Plus Lightroom freaks out and won’t import anything. Even though I have over 1000 photos on my iPhone it only shows 12 and won’t do anything. It eventually demands a huge amount of RAM until the system runs out of application RAM and freezes up. I have 32GB of RAM which should be plenty. I have been able to run Lightroom on 4GB of RAM in the past.
Once I find and delete all the HExx files Lightroom goes back to normal.
Some of the new camera app updates now support HExx files and use them by default so you have to watch out for that.
The Photos app for Mac doesn’t freak out with HExx files on my phone but it ignores them and doesn’t import them. You might think they are backed up but they aren’t.
You have to export them separately via AirDrop, which converts them before export. Then you can import the converted files into Photos or Lightroom with no problems.

I thought I was being careful to keep HExx files out of my camera roll but somehow 5 got in. The next time I tried my usual photo import/backup in Lightroom (on my computer) I got the same grief. Even though I had 350+ new images it only showed 12, and even then, no previews, just grey squares. Once I tracked down the HEIF culprits and deleted them then everything went back to normal.

The Photos app for Mac doesn’t freak out with HExx files on my phone but it ignores them and doesn’t import them. You might think they are backed up but they aren’t.
What Mac OS and Photos versions are you using? With MacOS 10.13 High Sierra, I found that Photos Version 3.0 (3201.11.120) imports HEIC files correctly (without converting to JPGs) from an iPhone connected directly to my Mac. Image Capture, on the other hand, imports them as JPGs.

What Mac OS and Photos versions are you using? With MacOS 10.13 High Sierra, I found that Photos Version 3.0 (3201.11.120) imports HEIC files correctly (without converting to JPGs) from an iPhone connected directly to my Mac. Image Capture, on the other hand, imports them as JPGs.

Interesting. I have 10.12.6 Sierra. Where do you find High Sierra? When I click updates it says no updates available. Photos 2.0.
In any event. That doesn’t help Lightroom.

I just read some reports on High Sierra and compatibility issues with the new APSF file format so I won’t be going that route until it has been sorted out. Too many softwares don’t work with APSF.
The most problematical among them for me are Adobe Indesign, Adobe Illustrator, FileMaker, Wacom Tablets, TechTool Pro, the list goes on.

Last edited:

High Sierra just showed up as an upgrade 2 days ago but it introduces too many other problems with file formats with programs that are essential to me so I’m going to hold off on High Sierra for a while.

High Sierra just showed up as an upgrade 2 days ago but it introduces too many other problems with file formats with programs that are essential to me so I’m going to hold off on High Sierra for a while.
Good advice. Thank you!

Problems with file formats?

Yes, if you read in the High Sierra info about known incompatibilities. If you use such programs as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
Edit: It’s called APSF.

Last edited:
Camera+ & Depth info.
A while back I mentioned that Camera+ could now read depth information in Portrait mode photos and edit the near and far parts of the image separately. This was made possible in iOS 11. I remember thinking at the time that that would be amazing. Ahem, I only just got around to trying it out myself using a photo not made in Camera+ but in the native camera and imported into Camera+.
Let’s start with the original photo.
IMG_9684.JPG

Here’s a version where I desaturated the background. It looks like I set the starting point of the background distance too far.
IMG_0312.JPG

In Camera+ when you call up certain functions, such as saturation, a new slider is shown which allows you to set the distance range in your photo for the saturation slider to act upon.
Here’s the reverse. You can see I did a better job this time setting the far point of the foreground distance.
IMG_0313.JPG

Here’s another where I darkened the background 1/2 stop.
IMG_0314.JPG

I haven’t tried anything fancy here, just some quick tweaks with sliders. Very fast and easy. The implications of this are quite exciting.

Last edited:
Camera+ & Depth info.
A while back I mentioned that Camera+ could now read depth information in Portrait mode photos and edit the near and far parts of the image separately. This was made possible in iOS 11. I remember thinking at the time that that would be amazing. Ahem, I only just got around to trying it out myself using a photo not made in Camera+ but in the native camera and imported into Camera+.
Let’s start with the original photo.
View attachment 102141
Here’s a version where I desaturated the background. It looks like I set the starting point of the background distance too far.
View attachment 102142
In Camera+ when you call up certain functions, such as saturation, a new slider is shown which allows you to set the distance range in your photo for the saturation slider to act upon.
Here’s the reverse. You can see I did a better job this time setting the far point of the foreground distance.
View attachment 102143
Here’s another where I darkened the background 1/2 stop.
View attachment 102144
I haven’t tried anything fancy here, just some quick tweaks with sliders. Very fast and easy. The implications of this are quite exciting.
Wow, your foreground really pops now! I have a mission up to Christmas to practice and play around with a couple of the manual camera apps to choose one that I can really start to feel comfortable with. When I took the images of the canal, I experienced the same problem as you did in your red fields with the white balance and almost missed the kayakers while I was trying to sort it out - which I didn't.

Wow, your foreground really pops now! I have a mission up to Christmas to practice and play around with a couple of the manual camera apps to choose one that I can really start to feel comfortable with. When I took the images of the canal, I experienced the same problem as you did in your red fields with the white balance and almost missed the kayakers while I was trying to sort it out - which I didn't.

In the case of the blueberry fields I could immediately see, even before I tapped the shutter that the colour was way off in any camera app where I didn’t have control of white balance. The native camera gives no control over white balance. Fusion is another app I like to use but beyond an excellent HDR bracket system it doesn’t allow any control of white balance.
Full disclosure time. I’m an old fashioned traditional photographer in the sense I grew up shooting film and the moment of exposure was my only chance to get the image “right”. Nowadays, especially on the iPhone, people don’t bother much with the details at the time of shooting and rely on apping the hell out of it later. It doesn’t work for me. I believe in getting the best quality shot when I tap the shutter so it will require the absolute minimum tweaking later on to be a good photo on my camera roll. This means the old fashioned standards of image quality, like no burned-out highlights, etc. I have the best quality image to start from if I choose to take it farther. But really, that best quality original is my main objective and I find when I alter the image later I still like the original best. That doesn’t mean, as it used to, that I’m trying to reproduce what I see, but what I see in my mind’s eye, which can be a very different thing, and for that I find HDR is my most direct route to that objective. I’m not talking about minor fine tuning here, but the more extreme departures. I have fun doing it but when I look back at the original it is still the best image.

PureShot is my manual camera of choice and one reason is the easy access to the white balance lock. It’s right on the main camera screen, not buried in a menu. In any unknown light condition the fastest method to get the WB correct is to take a reading off a known surface, such as a WB card. You just hold the card in front of the camera picking up the light at the same direction you are shooting and tap the WB lock button. You may have to angle the card slightly to avoid a shadow but generally tipping the card slightly to catch the light at the same angle it is falling on the subject works best. That’s it, you’re all set. No guessing. No experimenting with different scene settings or °K scales. Bullet proof. Make sure you aren’t wearing wildly coloured clothing, like a yellow raincoat, because the light reflecting from the coat will pollute the white balance reading.

You understand that Auto White Balance changes the White balance in every shot based on the balance of colours in the scene. In other words the white balance becomes subject dependent whereas it really should be light conditions dependent- except it has nothing reliable to read from. Let’s say, you’re at a parade on a sunny day and a yellow car goes by. The Auto WB thinks “too much yellow” so it adds blue. A red car goes by and it thinks “too much red” and so on with each colour that goes by. So none of the cars gets correct colour and the background colour in every shot is different. So you select the sunny day setting in the WB menu and now the colour balance is the same in every shot, as it should be, and each car will have the proper colour. But if it isn’t a sunny day you have to guess at the light conditions. OR- make a custom WB reading from a known neutral subject, such as a white balance card. And now you are once again in a correct white balance setting. Another way to think of auto white balance (AWB), you have a red flower on a green bush. The AWB looks at the scene and says “where’s the blue?”, and it puts some in until it finds a balance - the wrong balance. This is why, in this situation, that your red flower ends up with a bluish colour shift. And this same colour inaccuracy is happening in practically every blankety blank shot where the colours in the subject don’t happen to average out neatly, and it’s very aggravating!!#*! So I would propose that Auto White Balance be dubbed Aggravating White Balance instead.

645 Pro is a close relative of PureShot and It works the same way. Hardly any other camera app lets you make such a quick and easy WB lock type of reading. Many allow you to select a WB preset, such as sun, shade, overcast, indoor incandescent, fluorescent, etc., just like a regular camera, but there are many situations that don’t neatly fall into an obvious category so a custom WB or WB lock is the most reliable method.
Camera+ also lets you make a WB lock but it is one level slower because you have to call up the WB menu to get at the WB lock. Not bad. Camera+ is very capable also, another favourite.
You can find WB reference cards easily enough at a camera store or online (WhiBal.com I think), or use any truly neutral surface to read from. I have hardly ever found a truly neutral surface in the field. A piece of white photo mount board is good and cheap, too, but fragile in terms of getting dirty easily, but you can buy a 30x40” sheet for around $4.00 so you have a good supply.
Some photographic grey cards can also be used as WB cards, but only if the info with the card specifically says so. If you pick out several “grey cards” and compare them they will all be 18% grey but not all the same colour of grey! Some are slightly bluish or yellowish. OK for exposure reading but no good for WB readings. One out of 5 will also be good for WB so check carefully.
People say, so what difference does it make if the colour is off. I can fix it later in editing, can’t I? Well yes. But often the colour shift is difficult to figure out, not simply blue-yellow, but red-green, too. And then you never really know if you guessed right. Much faster and easier in the short and long run to simply measure the light before shooting.
You need a card big enough to fill the frame without being too close to the camera. A tiny card is ok for a tele lens but not useful for wide angle. And iPhone is all wide angle. My card is just a little bigger than the size of my iPhone 7 Plus. It has an elastic neck cord so I can pull it out farther into position without requiring enough cord so it hangs below my waist, getting in the way. It easily slips into a pocket or my iPhone accessory fanny pack, which I usually wear in front or to the side. The card is plastic (not glossy) and the same colour all the way through so even gouging it doesn’t change the colour. It can be easily washed if it gets dirty. It is spectrally neutral in all types of light sources which the photo mount board may not be.
PureShot has so many good features it is hard to beat although Camera+ has its own tricks. Lately I have started shooting DNG for better quality. But it’s slow. I set PureShot to shoot a 3-shot bracketed series saving DNG and tiff brackets, that’s 6 high resolution images saved. The DNG are for my computer if the shot turns out to be something I want to work on on computer. Fusion is still the best HDR app but doesn’t make the best quality brackets and it can’t handle RAW files as yet so that’s what I use the tiff files for. If you try it with a DNG file it seems to work until you realize it is only using the smaller low resolution preview image and not the actual RAW data. I have to get the extra DNG and tiff brackets off my phone ASAP to avoid filling it up with high res brackets. And processing all the HDR images takes time but as yet Fusion is the best for that. Lightroom does not have WB lock, ISO priority or the ability to control the brackets in any way or import brackets from another camera app so it isn’t very useful at all. It may develop in time.
Gotta go for now.... more later!

Another reason I like PureShot is that the layout is instantly familiar to me since it emulates a regular camera or DSLR. People coming to the iPhone from other types of cameras find this easier to adjust to. Also, if you get used to PureShot you will also know what to do with a DSLR if someone hands you one.
Another essential control you want your choice of camera to have is manual selection of ISO. Set it at the lowest setting, 20 or 25 for the least noise.
Something important to remember: at the sensor level the only correct exposures are made at the base ISO setting. All higher ISOs are simply underexposed and require amplification to look right, also amplifying noise. This is a basic fact of digital cameras.
So you want to be able to set the ISO to the lowest setting possible, or not higher than about 64. With an f1.8 aperture this isn’t a hardship. The shutter speeds will generally be plenty high. But you should watch out in lower light that the shutter speed doesn’t drop too low for hand holding. So, you need a camera app that displays the shutter speed at all times.
Jpeg images on the iPhone get a heavy dose of system level compression and noise reduction so the images, even at higher ISO look pretty good, until you look very closely to see the detail is mush because of the heavy processing which you can’t turn off. Tiff files start out the same as jpeg but at the last minute are saved as tiff so they are stuck with the same heavy processing. That’s ok for mobile use. But for best image quality you will notice a big improvement going to RAW or DNG. Unfortunately, even though several apps can make RAW files the editing side of things has not yet caught up. Yet. Soon, we hope.

So there’s my recipe for a good camera app. White balance control with WB lock or custom WB. Manual ISO or ISO priority auto. RAW files. HDR bracketing. PureShot is right there. 645 Pro is the same camera with filters added. I actually had not realized how unique PureShot is until I started going through all my different camera apps making a feature survey. And that explained why I keep going back to PureShot. It delivers the goods.

I also found Rookie Camera capable of WB lock but not manual ISO or bracketing. I didn’t find WB lock in any of the snazzy new RAW camera apps. I’m sure there are good camera apps out there I have never heard of.

I’m curious to hear from anyone else if they know of a camera app that has:
1- White Balance Lock or some way to measure the current white balance and save it, such as Custom White Balance (and I don’t mean approximating the colour with sliders)
2- Manual ISO setting or ISO Priority auto exposure (to allow easy shooting at the lowest ISO)
3- Exposure compensation.
4- Exposure bracketing (3 shots made with one tap of shutter button, at different exposures, for later use in HDR) and with the ability to preset the bracket range (+/-1 stop, 2, 3, in 1/3 stop increments)
5- Choice of file saving: RAW or DNG, tiff, jpeg, hi quality jpeg, HEIF, or PNG, etc. And/or a combination of these, such as DNG & tiff at the same time.
6- Focus peaking.
7- Live histogram to evaluate exposure.
I’ll think of more unreasonable demands later. [emoji3] But, yes, PureShot has all these attributes.

Last edited:
iOS 11.2. December 2. Fabi @ I woke up to find both of our iPhones shutting down and restarting over and over about every 3 or so minutes. On top of that they seemed to be doing it at the same time. After a few minutes I realized that if both of our phones suddenly had the same problem then it was being caused by something outside our phones so I shut them both off until I could consult with someone at the Apple store.
It turned out that day we had planned to travel and meet someone so off we headed with phones shut down. It felt a bit like the olden days cut off from the world while driving. I also brought our older iPad since it had a pre-11 OS it remained unaffected. So we had something working.
At the Apple Premium Reseller Store I asked about the restarting problem and they immediately said, yes, they had seen the same problem from several customers that morning. They assumed it had something to do with the 11.2 update that had just come out that day and the only solution they knew of was to restore your phone from a previous backup through iTunes. Meanwhile, Apple servers were swamped and Apple shut them down until it sorted out the problem. And they were indeed working in the problem. We were away from home so we couldn’t easily look things up with our computers.
I mentioned this problem in my Time Stamp post on Saturday (Dec 2) via iPad.
Later, terse pointed me in the direction of a link to the Apple site that specifically addressed our problem. If your iPhone, etc, was restarting over and over starting Dec 2 then it gave some instructions.
The problem was not in iOS 11.2 but in 11.1.2 and 11.2 would fix it, if you could get your iPhone to load it. Difficult if your phone keeps shutting off.
The solution was to go into Settings and shut off all Notifications. Go down the list of apps you currently allow to send you notifications and shut them all off. Then install 11.2 and that should fix the issue.
Downloading and installing 11.2 went smoothly and everything was OK after that. Then I had to go back to settings and turn on the desired notifications again. I will admit I turned on fewer than I had before.
So, it was receiving the notification that 11.2 was available for download that caused the problem and all the rest of the time we had used 11.1.2 with no issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom