• Basic horizonal and vertical perspective corrections
  • Vibrance (in addition to Saturation)
  • Tint (in addition to Warmth)
  • Sharpness
  • Definition
  • Noise Reduction
  • Vignette
Other changes:
  • You can now increase/decrease the size of thumbnails (in the Photos view but not in Album view for some reason).
  • The Share sheet is arranged a bit differently.

PS: I upgraded a first generation iPad Pro and an iPhone Xs from 12.4.1 to 13.1. Nothing has blown up so far. The downloads took over 2 hours each, but it was launch day, after all. I expect it'll get better once the first wave has passed. (The initial download estimate was 2 days, but I never listen to those things anyway.)

So on the iPhone 11 everything works differently! This is not photo related - just usage related. Things I have found so far:

1. To switch off you now press volume down and on/off button. To switch on just the on/off button.
2. To do a screen print, you press the volume up button and the on/off button.
3. To close apps, you swipe up and pause in the middle of the screen.
4. To accept a payment, you double-click the on/off button.

Photos App
I don’t know whether this is the same on other phones, but there are now more options under the Photos menu item. So to get a square format you hit the Chevron at the top of the page and more options appear such as image size.

So on the iPhone 11 everything works differently! This is not photo related - just usage related. Things I have found so far:

1. To switch off you now press volume down and on/off button. To switch on just the on/off button.
2. To do a screen print, you press the volume up button and the on/off button.
3. To close apps, you swipe up and pause in the middle of the screen.
4. To accept a payment, you double-click the on/off button.

Photos App
I don’t know whether this is the same on other phones, but there are now more options under the Photos menu item. So to get a square format you hit the Chevron at the top of the page and more options appear such as image size.
You switch your phone off !! :eek:

To completely turn off. Like a restart once in a while. We don’t have to turn off to put a SIM card in but I think you usually do that with Androids? ;)
Some, the Pixel has the same sim card slot as the iphone and the same cheap tool to poke in the hole :lol:
Don't the American phones come without sim cards at all? Weird that :confused:

My iPhone came without a SIM card. I got it from the carrier.
Ok I'm basing that on a friend that came to the Uk thinking she could just buy a uk sim card for her stay here and the Apple shop told her hers was built in AT&T or something so she couldn't physically change it. Maybe they've changed now, I'll shut up :confused:

Or are you agreeing with me :lmao:

Ok I'm basing that on a friend that came to the Uk thinking she could just buy a uk sim card for her stay here and the Apple shop told her hers was built in AT&T or something so she couldn't physically change it. Maybe they've changed now, I'll shut up :confused:

Or are you agreeing with me :lmao:
You're mostly right. Most phones in the US are "locked" to a particular carrier, so you can change SIMs, but the new one has to be from the same carrier. Some will unlock the phone after your contract is up (usually two years). That's the way it'll be if you get your phone through a carrier. If you get your phone from Apple, you have the option to get it without a SIM and without a contract. That phone will be unlocked from the start, and you can get a SIM from whichever carrier you want and stick it in.

Except there's also CDMA vs GSM, two different signal systems used by different carriers (Verizon is CDMA and AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM). A CDMA phone can't run on a GSM network and vice-versa.

Except that some phones these days can do both CDMA and GSM.

:lmao:

EDIT: And then there are eSIMs ...

Last edited:
Snapseed was acting a bit odd on my iPad after the update. Specifically, when opening an image, where it would show me a preview of the image I wanted to open, the Open button itself was missing. However, after I deleted Snapseed and reinstalled it, all is OK.

Last edited:
You're mostly right. Most phones in the US are "locked" to a particular carrier, so you can change SIMs, but the new one has to be from the same carrier. Some will unlock the phone after your contract is up (usually two years). That's the way it'll be if you get your phone through a carrier. If you get your phone from Apple, you have the option to get it without a SIM and without a contract. That phone will be unlocked from the start, and you can get a SIM from whichever carrier you want and stick it in.

Except there's also CDMA vs GSM, two different signal systems used by different carriers (Verizon is CDMA and AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM). A CDMA phone can't run on a GSM network and vice-versa.

Except that some phones these days can do both CDMA and GSM.

:lmao:

EDIT: And then there are eSIMs ...
The new iPhones are evidently carrier independent. Apple has a list of countries that iPhones, from the 8 all the way up to the self-defense model, will work in.
Upon upgrading my iPad and iPhone my camera roll displays photos I took two years ago with images I captured today. Weird.

Is that in the Recents album or in the Photos view. Are you using iCloud Photos?
Ahh, yes. I forgot to mention that. There are 202 images inserted, and doubled/tripled, between yesterday (Thursday) and Tuesday. This is a result of me performing the 13.0 update on Tuesday and the 13.1 on Thursday, I believe. It is my understanding that the "All Photos" album has always been sorted by date the photos were added to the Photos Library, not date taken. I don’t know if this changed with the renaming/rebuilding of Camera Roll. On the upside I found a couple of images I can do something with :):(

Ahh, yes. I forgot to mention that. There are 202 images inserted, and doubled/tripled, between yesterday (Thursday) and Tuesday. This is a result of me performing the 13.0 update on Tuesday and the 13.1 on Thursday, I believe. It is my understanding that the "All Photos" album has always been sorted by date the photos were added to the Photos Library, not date taken. I don’t know if this changed with the renaming/rebuilding of Camera Roll. On the upside I found a couple of images I can do something with :):(
So maybe because I’ll be updating 13.1 it might not happen...?

Reason why I wait for everybody else to test it out first. :sneaky:

I don't see that problem here with 13.1. I wonder if it's because I don't use iCloud Photos (or any kind of cloud storage/sync)?

AGH! Distressed FX has gone completely bonkers. :( I’m very sad. Maybe if I delete it and reload, it might come back to normal. I hope so. I paid for a lot of extra overlays, which are now completely peculiar. The only slider that seems to work is the saturation slider - the other two are in a strange position on the screen and don’t work properly.:cry:

The only slider that seems to work is the saturation slider - the other two are in a strange position on the screen and don’t work properly.
In DFX Plus, I see the sliders on each side are scrunched up at the top, but they do seem to work properly for me. Beyond that, DFX Plus is behaving normally, so maybe try the delete/reinstall if you need to.

I don't see that problem here with 13.1. I wonder if it's because I don't use iCloud Photos (or any kind of cloud storage/sync)?
That’s a good point Ted. I’ve been doing some research, when I get some down time, and see that it is, among other things, a possible iCloud sync issue. If I look into my iCloud account there are only 11 images “out of place.” Hmmm.
I do believe a Moscow Mule is in order ;):thumbs::D

And for anyone following along...

When I say that I haven't seen a particular bug, that's all I mean -- it hasn't happened to me. I don't mean it's not a bug or hasn't happened to you. For some reason, many app and OS bugs seem to avoid me. I'm not complaining, but I can't tell you why that happens.

Back
Top Bottom