iOS/iPadOS 13.1 notes

Somewhere I saw that 13.2 is out.

While I get a bunch of app updates every day adding support for iOS13 and the iPhone 11 models, today I got an update for Snapseed and they are just now adding support for iOS12 and iPhone XR, XS, and XSMax. Not a high priority I guess.

Somewhere I saw that 13.2 is out.

While I get a bunch of app updates every day adding support for iOS13 and the iPhone 11 models, today I got an update for Snapseed and they are just now adding support for iOS12 and iPhone XR, XS, and XSMax. Not a high priority I guess.
Maybe they’re working their way down the alphabet ;)

Yes, according to the video I saw you can use any memory card as external storage.
I used my DH’s SD Card adapter to trial out my iPhone 11 Pro. Yes, you can copy from your iPhone/iPad to the card now but it’s slow and clunky. The iExpand Drive is still way quicker. Fine for one or two images though.

I used my DH’s SD Card adapter to trial out my iPhone 11 Pro. Yes, you can copy from your iPhone/iPad to the card now but it’s slow and clunky. The iExpand Drive is still way quicker. Fine for one or two images though.
I have a 750GB SSD Drive I plan to reformat to use with my iPad.

I also see that Adobe Photoshop for iPad is now out if you have iOS 13. Apparently still a bit half-baked. Will be interesting to see if any of the free bits are worth having but I doubt it.
They've also announced Photoshop Camera for iOS. You can apply for the beta test here:

I haven’t upgraded my iPad Pro yet. Just hate that some apps might not work yet. Anybody still finding apps that aren’t working?
Things seem to have settled down well for me. Quite a few app updates after the release of 13. There are still some apps I haven't used since updating to 13 -- you know, those ones in the corner with cobwebs on them -- but all my regulars are OK.

I also see that Adobe Photoshop for iPad is now out if you have iOS 13. Apparently still a bit half-baked. Will be interesting to see if any of the free bits are worth having but I doubt it.
I was just browsing their blurbs for this. They want $10/month for it. You get a 30-day free trial when you download, but it doesn't sound like there is anything free after that.

And Affinity Photo for iPad is now on sale for $9.99 (50% off). I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

I’ve been watching the reviews from underwhelmed reviewers. Adobe has the expertise to deliver a good product but they don’t or won’t. I don’t think they take mobile seriously. They are still focused on getting people back to the desktop. They don’t see mobile as an end in itself. They see it as a quick stop on the way back to the “real” stuff on the desktop. They won’t do it if they can’t figure out how to extract more revenue from mobile.

Adobe got my $9.99 a few years ago for their Adobe Photoshop app that never went anywhere and was never updated. It was awkward and clunky. Leonardo proved to be much more capable than the Adobe app.

I’ve been watching the reviews from underwhelmed reviewers. Adobe has the expertise to deliver a good product but they don’t or won’t. I don’t think they take mobile seriously. They are still focused on getting people back to the desktop. They don’t see mobile as an end in itself. They see it as a quick stop on the way back to the “real” stuff on the desktop. They won’t do it if they can’t figure out how to extract more revenue from mobile.
It has to be a growing market but you piqued my interest and I did a search on market share. Interestingly tablets only have a about a 3-4% share of the market compared with phones 50% and desktop/laptops 47% worldwide. In the UK, tablets go up to 12% and phones fall below desktops. Still, you would think Adobe would get in on the act before it starts to take over otherwise people will get used to using other software.

They've also announced Photoshop Camera for iOS. You can apply for the beta test here:

I've applied for early access to this, looks interesting and its available for Android :rolleyes:
Adobe takes a lot of flak on this forum but at least their products are cross platform unlike some others that are always being praised here.

I've applied for early access to this, looks interesting and its available for Android :rolleyes:
Adobe takes a lot of flak on this forum but at least their products are cross platform unlike some others that are always being praised here.
Beware of what you’re getting into.
From what I can see, the central feature of every adobe product is to try to get your roped into their creative cloud system. As we saw recently in Venezuela, you can be paying your monthly fees and have all your important work stored in CC, but Adobe can decide at any time to pull the plug on you and all your work disappears. This was a wake up call worldwide for CC users to not store their important work in the cloud. And of course, as soon as you decide to stop paying your monthly fees you lose access to the software and your work on your own computer becomes inaccessible to you. Long time Adobe users worldwide are bailing out.
I used to be a big Adobe fan. I considered their software was the best available. I paid thousands of dollars over the years on the fully paid versions of software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and InDesign and used them as part of the way I make a living. They were central to my workflow. Somewhere along the way CC entered the picture and everything went sour. Progressively I have been replacing all my Adobe software with other software that has become available. That doesn’t mean I don’t still occasionally use Adobe software, but I don’t use anything that relies on CC.

I haven’t upgraded my iPad Pro yet. Just hate that some apps might not work yet. Anybody still finding apps that aren’t working?
There is still a heavy stream of app updates daily. I usually get 6-12 every day on both my iPhone and iPad. Usually the same apps. Every few hours there is another bunch of app updates trying to be compatible with this and that. Often the same apps have updates every few days trying to fix all the bugs. They fixed one problem and in the process made something else not work on a certain device. But I haven’t seen many apps that just stopped working altogether. Older apps are not making use of new iOS features but in most cases that’s doesn’t stop them from working. Sometimes the problem is something annoying like when you go to select an image to work on the picker doesn’t work. Or the app works perfectly right up until the moment you press save - and then it quits. But most app developers are working hard to keep everything running.

Beware of what you’re getting into.
From what I can see, the central feature of every adobe product is to try to get your roped into their creative cloud system. As we saw recently in Venezuela, you can be paying your monthly fees and have all your important work stored in CC, but Adobe can decide at any time to pull the plug on you and all your work disappears. This was a wake up call worldwide for CC users to not store their important work in the cloud. And of course, as soon as you decide to stop paying your monthly fees you lose access to the software and your work on your own computer becomes inaccessible to you. Long time Adobe users worldwide are bailing out.
I used to be a big Adobe fan. I considered their software was the best available. I paid thousands of dollars over the years on the fully paid versions of software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and InDesign and used them as part of the way I make a living. They were central to my workflow. Somewhere along the way CC entered the picture and everything went sour. Progressively I have been replacing all my Adobe software with other software that has become available. That doesn’t mean I don’t still occasionally use Adobe software, but I don’t use anything that relies on CC.
I'm assuming Adobe Camera will be a stand alone app, but we will see.

Snapseed was acting a bit odd on my iPad after the update. Specifically, when opening an image, where it would show me a preview of the image I wanted to open, the Open button itself was missing. However, after I deleted Snapseed and reinstalled it, all is OK.

Same & same.

I've applied for early access to this, looks interesting and its available for Android
Good, I'm curious to hear what they've got in mind. On the one hand, their blurb is pretty much all about filters. On the other, they know how to make a camera app because the Lightroom camera is really very good all around.

Does anyone have the app Color Effects? Under iOS 13 it crashes when you try to save a photo. I’m just wondering if it still works in iOS 12.

Back
Top Bottom