Ipad Question..

ValeriGail

MobiLurver
Real Name
Valeri
Device
look at me... just get an i5 and I think I am all that with a bag of chips, now I need an ipad right? haha.

No, I'm just planning for later. having the phone has me thinking. How important is storage space on the ipad? On the phone, its very important. I was trying to squeeze into the 16 gig, but after getting home and setting back up on my 32gig 5... its very apparent it wasn't going to work as I still only have 13 gig free! So when I go to pick out an ipad.. should I be just as conscientious of the storage space on it? Should I get more seeing that there are different apps available for the ipad?

Do you find that you upload to the computer or a hard drive, making the storage space really a non issue? Or are all the same issues still in play? I'd really love to hear everyone's experiences and thoughts on this. Want to have all my plans in place so that when the time comes I know exactly what it is I'm gonna do. These days, I never know when things are gonna happen.. had no idea I was going to have the phone and look at me now! LOL. So I'm planning like I'm going out next week for the ipad! can't hurt! ;)

I'd say for me at least, on the app side it's pretty similar to the iphone. The big difference is that I carry my music around on my iphone, but don't on my ipad - that instantly frees up a big chunk of space.

Still, it depends on how you're going to use it. If you want to keep masses of photos and videos on there, definitely go 32GB+.

Personally, I always go for max memory on all my iDevices, that way I cover all bases and don't go wishing I had gone larger... :rog:

I have this bad habit of never reducing my iMage files down at all and these do end up taking up quite a slice of memory, but it has never filled me up yet... :D

So, enjoy your i5 now and your new iPad very soon V... :)

I seriously love both of mine...

I have 16GB on my 4S with no movies and not much music now but it is barely enough and I have to keep on top of it so when I got my iPad3 I went for 64GB as I knew I would run a bigger range of apps for editing, etc. and keep more photos and video on it especially while editing plus a growing collection of books. As it stands I have plenty of space but I am not utilising it fully yet. A 32GB would have been pushing it again but workable.

I have 16 on both and I would love more on my phone but I find the 16 fine for my ipad...at the moment lol.

I do make a habit of regularly syncing and removing all but the final images from the camera roll. I think I would just let things get cluttered if I had the extra space.

I have 64 GB each, on 2 iPads: the 2 and the New. I fill them up, back them up, delete, save, and clear them off, and start anew. I use dropbox, iCloud, external drives, and 2 laptops — and I always want more space. When I buy, I get the most memory available. I do almost everything on my iPads, and I rarely head to the laptops, now, except to backup with the power/transfer cable, or transfer files via iTunes. Once a file leaves my iPad, I usually don't look back, but it is comforting to think that I could.I like Mels' approach —
I don't have an iPhone. I haven't explored, or thought about this very seriously, yet, but I wonder if I couldn't find a used iPhone, to use just as a camera. Does anyone know if that is a viable idea? The iPad is good in a pinch, especially with Cortex Camera – the app, but it is somewhat unwieldy. I tend to keep my 2 pocket Canons with me, extra batteries, memory cards, pocket tripod(s) and my iPad, with my collection of styluses, it is a bit ridiculous. Heaven knows, I am ready for anything, but I need a team of sherpas to carry my gear to the porch.

I highly recommend the 64gb, there is never a worry for that very much needed space & like Carolyn said you can always back up and remove, but it's quite a relief to have all that space and not to constantly be aware of how much you are using. Valeri....you are going to LOVE the iPad!!!:D

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the input. I wish the memory was expandable on the ipads, making this a non issue. Heck I wish they were expandable on the phones! we always joke that we are gonna make it big by inventing the flash drive that works for the iphone! haha.

I can see myself using the ipad exclusively, specially since I was sorta scooted out of my laptop shortly after we bought it and its been used for the family to game on ever since. Sore point, really since it was bought for me to WORK on. Just had an argument about me taking it with me so I could upload while out and about, and use it to charge the phone... god forbid I use a laptop as a portable computer! :eek: what was I thinking! ROFLMAO! So I am back to where I was before, needing what I knew I needed before... The Ipad for editing, storage, and personal other business stuff directly related to iphoneography. And It will go with me every where I go darn it! :sneaky: :lol: :whistle:

Now to only get one!! It wont be till sometime after january.

I have 64 GB each, on 2 iPads: the 2 and the New. I fill them up, back them up, delete, save, and clear them off, and start anew. I use dropbox, iCloud, external drives, and 2 laptops — and I always want more space. When I buy, I get the most memory available. I do almost everything on my iPads, and I rarely head to the laptops, now, except to backup with the power/transfer cable, or transfer files via iTunes. Once a file leaves my iPad, I usually don't look back, but it is comforting to think that I could.I like Mels' approach —
I don't have an iPhone. I haven't explored, or thought about this very seriously, yet, but I wonder if I couldn't find a used iPhone, to use just as a camera. Does anyone know if that is a viable idea? The iPad is good in a pinch, especially with Cortex Camera – the app, but it is somewhat unwieldy. I tend to keep my 2 pocket Canons with me, extra batteries, memory cards, pocket tripod(s) and my iPad, with my collection of styluses, it is a bit ridiculous. Heaven knows, I am ready for anything, but I need a team of sherpas to carry my gear to the porch.

Did you catch my Camera Boost app for the ipad while it was free? That might suit, as that's pretty much what it was built for :)

If you want something a bit smaller, the new ipods look like a good option, although they're a bit pricy and won't be available 2nd hand for a while - the older ones have a bad (ipad 2 quality) camera. Or there's the ipad mini perhaps? After using an ipad for photography, the iphone and iPod will feel incredibly cramped - there's something a little bit wonderful about having a giant, super clear viewfinder! I should get a mini on friday, I'll report back on what it's like.

Really though, I'd say go for an iphone - you'll get a whole lot of use out of it beyond just a camera. I'm assuming you have a mobile phone anyway, in which case you're just replacing some kit you already carry. If you're going with 2nd hand, make sure the phone is unlocked (meaning you can use it on any network), and go for either a 4 (decent camera) or ideally a 4S (pretty good camera). If it doesn't cost much more, get a 5, it's quite a lot better than the 4S. Depending on which country you're in, you might be able to get a good deal on data to go with it - I use t-mobile in the UK, they sell a sim card that includes 12 months of free data and some call credit for £10 (~$15US - this is for the full year).

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the input. I wish the memory was expandable on the ipads, making this a non issue. Heck I wish they were expandable on the phones! we always joke that we are gonna make it big by inventing the flash drive that works for the iphone! haha.

There ARE external hard disks that work with an ipad or iphone I think. From what I remember, they work much like the 'camera connection kit', and let you move photos and videos onto or off the phone.

Hmm.. or maybe not, I'm probably thinking about this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STB...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1351583211&sr=1-1 and it just seems to hold your music + videos. Maybe something else can move photos + videos on and off the ipad?

Back
Top Bottom