iphone 8+black screen issue

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
the back camera on my iphone has gone black, front cam works fine. Non responsive on other apps - Hipstamatic, Spectre, Fimo etc. tried hard reset and usual fixes. No joy. It started after I installed a 3rd party camera app, so im assuming its a software glitch. any help would be appreciated!

JillyG

IOTM Winner - Sep 20 + Jan & Nov 21
MobiStaff
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 13 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
the back camera on my iphone has gone black, front cam works fine. Non responsive on other apps - Hipstamatic, Spectre, Fimo etc. tried hard reset and usual fixes. No joy. It started after I installed a 3rd party camera app, so im assuming its a software glitch. any help would be appreciated!
Now, I vaguely remember someone else having this problem. Was it RoseCat Catherine or ubbyisis Eva? terse Ted might know.

terse

IOTM Winner May, Nov 20; Jun, Jul, Dec 21; Oct 22
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Ah, now I remember. In her case, none of the suggestions online worked, so she took it to an Apple store. She was still under warranty, and they replaced the camera (so a hardware problem). She has an 11 Pro.

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
aha - well thanks for the support. Ive got my daughters old cast off phone, so the Apple repair route isnt an option. Ive done a hard reset and a restore, but its still toast. Never mind.

terse

IOTM Winner May, Nov 20; Jun, Jul, Dec 21; Oct 22
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
aha - well thanks for the support. Ive got my daughters old cast off phone, so the Apple repair route isnt an option. Ive done a hard reset and a restore, but its still toast. Never mind.
Another possibility:

I have replaced the camera on an earlier model (one where the display isn't attached with adhesive), and it wasn't too difficult once inside.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
Deep Purple 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
Now, I vaguely remember someone else having this problem. Was it RoseCat Catherine or ubbyisis Eva? terse Ted might know.

Yes, RoseCat did have this black-screen-in-photo-apps problem not too long ago, and she did solve it, though I don't remember how at the moment.

Ah, now I remember. In her case, none of the suggestions online worked, so she took it to an Apple store. She was still under warranty, and they replaced the camera (so a hardware problem). She has an 11 Pro.
Well, I am thankful for terse Ted and his memory! That’s exactly what happened.

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
I decided to opt for a new phone in the end, as the 8 was clearly struggling. The glass back was seriously shattered and fractured around the lens mounts, so replacement wasn't really an option. Got a bomb-proof case for the new one, with a dedicated cover for the lenses. Fingers crossed!

ubbyisis

IOTM Winner - Aug 21 & Sep 22
Real Name
Eva Gustafsson
Device
iPhone 13 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
I decided to opt for a new phone in the end, as the 8 was clearly struggling. The glass back was seriously shattered and fractured around the lens mounts, so replacement wasn't really an option. Got a bomb-proof case for the new one, with a dedicated cover for the lenses. Fingers crossed!
Good luck :thumbs:

Top Bottom