iPhone bricked on me, can I retrieve my camera roll before restore?

Not sure if this is the right area for this, if not please relocate to a more relevant area.

On Saturday night my phone turned off for no reason, now it won't turn on. It won't do anything when plugged into my charger, and I have to do a hard reset when connected via USB in order for iTunes to even recognise it. It says I have to do a restore to get it back to its factory settings - just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and whether my recent camera roll (photos taken after last sync) will be salvagable before/after restore?

Ohhh no Robert! Sorry not sure what to advise but hope you can get it sorted out and you wont lose your photos!

Restoring the phone as I type! May have to lose 150-200 photos :( At least I processed the "Goat" photograph (my favourite of the last crop) before that was lost forever. Lost some nice photos of my girlfriend that I'm annoyed about, but oh well.

Ohhhh bummer! You need to get PhotoTransfer and transfer photos to the pc regularly - I do it nearly daily or every couple of days! I know its a bit late but for the future!

Hi Robert.

Sorry to hear about your issues :( It might be worth getting the phone checked by an Apple Store to make sure it isn't type of hardware failure as a random crash is very unlikely to that extent.

The new iOS 5 has gone some way to guarding against loss, with the last thirty days of pictures being backed up to iCloud automatically. Already saved my bacon. Can come quickly enough IMO - and I think we may see it sooner that Autumn.

Just tried restoring my phone and I believe it is indeed a hardware fault - error code 1611. :( Do you know if they repair those kind of things in store and whether it costs a lot of money?

Got an appointment at my local Apple store tomorrow, I also have insurance cover with my phone network so there are two options anyway. I am going through iPhone withdrawal!

Definitely not good I am afraid.

Is it your 4? How long have you had it?

If it is a 4, Apple are VERY good at just replacing there and then - even if it is a month or so out of warranty. Just flirt lots with the tech!

It's my 4, yeah. Had it just over a year - bought it on the day it was released. I really really hope they can sort it there and then, hate hassling with things like this. I'll do my best to flirt but I'm no catch!

Teehee I am 99% sure you will just get an on the spot replacement. State how you are an avid apple fan/had since release/etc etc. Had two colleagues (and once myself) take iphones that were up to two months out of warranty to the apple store and get replacements. They will check your water sensors and phone for damage though.

Let us know how you get on?

I will do! And thanks for your help! I checked the phone for water damage (apparently there's something in the headphone jack which can let you know if you've water damaged your device, and mine is fine). I'll report back as soon as I can, hopefully using the MobiTog app :)

Thats the water sensor as above. For others info - they turn pink if exposed to water so as to show the technicians that the phone has been water damaged. There is one down the headphone socket and one in the base where the charger/sync lead plugs in :)

Good luck sir. Don't forget to pick up an ipad whilst there :feet:

Result Robert... :thumbs:

What company is this, they deserve at least a mention in our pages for that service... :D

Nice! And worryingly... I am not sure why this didn't occur to me in the first place!? Afterall I have done exactly that with one of mine... I guess it must be the apple temple calling me....

Nice work sir!

The new iOS 5 has gone some way to guarding against loss, with the last thirty days of pictures being backed up to iCloud automatically. Already saved my bacon. Can come quickly enough IMO - and I think we may see it sooner that Autumn.

Is that a fact or a rumour, Matt? Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on iOS5, it can't come quickly enough. BTW, is there folder organisation in the Camera Roll?

There is indeed Richard. All under an 'Edit' button top right of the photos homescreen. Works pretty well too.

image-108613845.png

The company was Orange. At first I was apprehensive about calling them as I thought it'd be more hassle than it's worth, but they were extremely helpful and friendly, and the best part is that I get a brand new iPhone today, which also happens to be my birthday too :D :D :D

Smooth said:
There is indeed Richard. All under an 'Edit' button top right of the photos homescreen. Works pretty well too.

Extremely cool, Matt. Got an ETA on that release date?

Back
Top Bottom