IPhone12Pro Raw image file

A comment from the developers of Halide:

"We’re writing a deep dive on what ProRAW means, but there’s one practical implication worth talking about today. One reason people choose RAW is for fine grained control over noise-reduction, and unfortunately ProRAW files have already had some noise reduction applied. Not as much the JPEGs of the past, but it’s there.​
"For this and a few other reasons, ProRAW is less of a ‘true’ RAW, and more of a very high quality format for your shots. Aside from the noise reduction, it does expose fine control over magical processes like Smart HDR.​
"So far ProRAW has shown to be fantastic quite often, but we’ve also observed tradeoffs. However, ProRAW is currently in beta. We’ve been submitting feedback to Apple. Once ProRAW ships, we’ll publish our analysis."​

from a long blog entry about the 12 Pro Max here:

They admit that comparisons were made with hand-held exposures:

“We’d need to point out that all examples were shot handheld. While you could do a comparison of the iPhone 12 vs. the iPhone 12 Pro Max by putting it on a tripod, it’s kind of a pointless benchmark unless you mount your phone on a tripod whenever you shoot. We believe good comparisons should be done in real-world conditions, which means handheld shots.”

When comparing fine resolution, as he pretends to do, I think it’s malpractice NOT to shoot from a tripod!

Of course Halide is now nervous about iPhones now offering raw capture, thus abrogating the major reason for iPhone users to have to use third party raw apps - like Halide!

Time will tell!

Dave

Offering raw capture of some sort. They state in the quote that a ProRaw file has some noise reduction already applied, so it's not a true raw file. And we don't know, yet, how entangled the original raw capture in a ProRaw file will be with iOS' computational processing. I've seen statements, mostly repeating Apple's PR, that ProRaw will enable access to wider dynamic range and higher bit color for adjustments. But I haven't seen anyone say that I'd be able to open a ProRaw file in my favorite raw editor and have access to the original raw capture without computational adjustments.

Anyway, I doubt that Halide and other major camera apps are too worried. There have been third-party cam apps selling well along side the free native cam app since before there was raw capture at all. Lots of people are willing to spend (a bit) for a different camera app on the chance it will make their photos better. Including me :lmao:

I, too. Continue to use Halide Mark II, and
I’ll certainly be most interested when the phrase “some sort of raw” is, in fact, clarified in specific, meaningful way!

Apple playing catch up as ever. Most top end Androids have been shooting RAW for years :lol:
Hi,sinnerjohn,
I do have a Galaxy9+ that delivers a 12 bit-depth raw file and have heard, as you say, that some other Android phone models also deliver raw files. Do you know of a list of other specific android smartphones models that do deliver native (not third party) raw files? I’m more than mildly curious because I am preparing a tutorial on use of full raw-accessible dynamic range capture without recourse to third party apps. Optimal raw capture does not begin and end with “Expose to the Right”!
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Hi,sinnerjohn,
I do have a Galaxy9+ that delivers a 12 bit-depth raw file and have heard, as you say, that some other Android phone models also deliver raw files. Do you know of a list of other specific android smartphones models that do deliver native (not third party) raw files? I’m more than mildly curious because I am preparing a tutorial on use of full raw-accessible dynamic range capture without recourse to third party apps. Optimal raw capture does not begin and end with “Expose to the Right”!
Any help would be appreciated.
Dave
Not sure of a list but the Pixel phones do as do the Huawei P series phones and the Samsung S series.
This website is always good for reference.

Apple playing catch up as ever. Most top end Androids have been shooting RAW for years :lol:
I’ve heard the same. Any idea where I might find specifically which android phones offer raw capture without need for a third party app. I must not be adequately skillful at formulating questions for Google to andwer! I have a Galsxy9+ that does. Beyond that ???
Thanks,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom