ipod or iphone ?

vixenscry

MobiLifer
Real Name
Victoria Martin
As I have just squished my ipod ,I thought I'd check out what you can do for free on an iphone ! 1) can you use wifi ,say at home or in cafe , 2) what is the best usage deal , I dont text very much ,love the photography and enjoy facebook ! I have got quite confused ! I know my ipod lacks pixels but it is free to upload pics and email ! Advice rqd please ! I have tried surfing to get my answers but just got more confused !:confused:

Heya Vix.

Do you currently have a contract phone, or pay as you go? You could find a great deal if you are on contract to get an iPhone for free by signing up to an 18 month contract?

The 3Gs is currently free on O2 for any of their tariffs when signing up to any of their contract lengths.

Money saving expert have a very cool tool for checking the latest deals:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-iphone#contract

Put in there what size/model iPhone you fancy and it will cough out the latest prices.

The iPod is a very good option - but you miss out on all the telephony/mobile data access.

As for your wifi question - yep - using your home wifi is unlimited. Depending on the network you go with, some have their data plans that include access to certain types of public wifi networks whilst you are out and about. O2 have perhaps the biggest - The Cloud, but I seem to remember that this may be coming to an end...

Edit - yep confirmed - cloud access for O2 is no longer free, but BT Openzone still is.

You basically get an iPhone tariff - which includes a data plan (access to the internet via mobile network) which has a cap on it. I have the 500mb package and despite best efforts rarely go over it. If you do go over, they limit your data speeds.

Thanks :D I have a mobile but its a pay as you go ,we dont get reception where we live so I have never bothered with a contract ! I am so used to free unlimited wifi that I was concerned that I might run up a bill, even on holiday in france it was free ! I will check out O2! I have limited funds so I am being cautious :thumbs:

For my money, and I do know it isn't but I love spending others' dish too... :lmao:

Your main usage is for the camera Vix and, in my mind, you really would be daft not to go for an iPhone - even a 3GS will give you so much more scope in your iPhoneography... :eek:

Personally I would go for a 4 at the very least but, if you could scrape it the 4S has to be the one to beat, even the 5G camera will be unlikely to better the 4S by much... ;)

If you bought an unlocked version you would even be able to use your existing sim in it - they can easily be cut to fit the new micro sim of the 4 & 4G... :whistle:

With the new iOS5 you will get free iMessaging to anyone else with an iDevice and free FaceTime calling whilst on WiFi reception, again to other iDevices... :cool:

I don't think you have much choice tbh, the iPod Touch Camera, even though you really do amazing things with it, will not satisfy your cravings for advancement... :coffee:

And, even if you have the phone, you do not have to use it as a phone do you, but you do get a stonkingly great camera, whatever model you go for... :sneaky:

My Grandpa used to say, always go for the best you can not afford, otherwise you will forever regret - and who wants to forever regret when life's far too short... :D

Vix, I couldn't get an iPhone on contract when I was living in Ireland (as I had NO credit history), but I desperately wanted an iPhone...so I went to that glorious old standby, eBay.co.uk, and snagged my first iPhone (a 3G) for €200 in 2010. Best of all, it came unlocked, so I just used my existing Pay-as-you-go SIM card. Try to get an unlocked one if you can, definitely worth it. (When I moved to Australia last year, I just got an Aussie SIM for my iPhone, no worries).

I would say get an iPhone 4 if you can, you'll be amazed at the 5MP camera compared to the 3's measly 3MP. (The iPhone 4S's 8MP will blow you away :D). The 4 and 4S use micro-SIMs, but you should be able to buy these easily in the stores as PAYG.

Back
Top Bottom