Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

21st July - Favourite Flower
On today’s walk, there was a group of thistles where there were lots of insects flying around and this particular flower had lots of these flies and soldier beetles all fighting for space.View attachment 183516
That particular thistle must have something special :) Great capture Jane:thumbs: And congratulations for being “back-on-track”

No. Just like to find out about the plants. Found the Plantlife website really useful and have a few books that I’ve collected over the years. Just read a book about the life of fungi which was astounding about some of the studies on these organisms
It’s great to have such an interest. That’s what I love about being retired. You can immerse yourself in all those interests and activities that you love.

22nd July - Ready for Harvest
In the last 2 weeks the fields have gone from beginning to turn to completely going golden and dry. Sadly though, the husks are quite small and not very fat so the harvest wont be so good which is bad news for the farmers or for us as consumers.

9993F511-87A2-4966-B03D-1DED39075E3E.jpeg

It was somewhere in Leicestershire that was the hottest place in the UK. Crazy.
Yes it was in Coningsby which is one of the RAF bases. About 30 miles from us. The Tuesday was unbearable. Like a furnace. Spent the day indoors with the dogs by the fans all day.

23rd July - Squab

In one of our Acer trees near the bedroom window a pair of wodpigeons have decided to build a nest and rear young. This is one of them - there are 2 but one seems to lie down in the nest most of the time. They are called squabs and this seems a fitting name as that’s the sort of noise it seems to continuously make. Not the prettiest of offspring, I think you’ll agree!
2347C82D-C694-4260-AF9C-3C75529F1DAC.jpeg

24th July - Another nest!
If you remember, earlier last month I posted some pictures of the back garden which showed a large pergola with a beautiful climbing rose on it. Would you believe that a pair of woodpigeons (not the same ones as the previous nest), have decided to build their nest in the middle under the rafter of the pergola. Not particularly a good decision as we are constantly going through and the dogs use the ground below as a shady rest during sunny days. I know woodpigeons are becoming more and more prevalent in gardens but I think I seem to breeding the numbers for the village.

6BD66ABA-3495-49AB-B146-1E8D6FE12806.jpeg

24th July - Another nest!
If you remember, earlier last month I posted some pictures of the back garden which showed a large pergola with a beautiful climbing rose on it. Would you believe that a pair of woodpigeons (not the same ones as the previous nest), have decided to build their nest in the middle under the rafter of the pergola. Not particularly a good decision as we are constantly going through and the dogs use the ground below as a shady rest during sunny days. I know woodpigeons are becoming more and more prevalent in gardens but I think I seem to breeding the numbers for the village.

View attachment 183736
Aww, Bill and Coo - they’re both together on the nest.:hearteyes:

25th July - Targetes

This is a popular annual plant but is also a herb Which I was unaware of until reading this in The Gardeners’ World magazine this month. The herb is used to help stomach ailments such as indigestion and dysentery. It is also used in the treatment of eczema and rheumatism - so a very versatile herb.

4807A66B-CFB2-4348-AEC5-AFF785DCDF15.jpeg

26th July - Bridge 63

This is always my favourite bridge over the Grantham Canal. It‘s one of the oldest left on the canal and although it looks quite rickety, it is very sturdy and leads onto a lovely wildflower meadow. Today‘s walk along the canal was very quiet, only meeting a couple of people all the way. The water is very low due to the hot weather and possibly having farmers draining for crop irrigation.

2B61AF23-4762-4DBD-A36C-145145E688CE.jpeg

27th July - Everything’s Dry

Wherever we walk, all the land is so dray and yellow. it is such a contrast to just a few weeks ago when there was so much green. We have had a couple of wild fires nearby, but nothing too bad. What worries me isn’t the damaged crops as much as how much damage it is doing to our wildlife that live In these areas.

E7C2CE88-F5C3-4C41-9A52-73E297447326.jpeg

28th July - Double Exposure

I have been experimenting with ICM and double exposure to change my style of images. This was a double exposure using Snapseed to merge them to create this image. I think it gives it an oik painting feel.
B1A10913-6769-4D27-939A-BD38EAF54577.jpeg

29th July - The Family
These are the family of Swans that I have included on 365 earlier this year. Originally there were 5 so they have lost one of the cygnets but the rest are looking really strong. These were all swimming in a line behind the adults.

83D23E86-C68F-4709-A0AD-887BC4FDF5F7.jpeg

30th July - Wind Dispersal

This thistle plant had finished flowering and had produced its seeds. To disperse and eventually reproduce they rely on the wind to end the seeds to new territory. Took this image by the canal and as it was a little breezy the seed on the left just began its new journey.

7710CAF2-C55F-4C55-A6BB-435D8592722E.jpeg

Last edited:
30th July - Wind Dispersal

This thistle plant had finished flowering and had produced its seeds. To disperse and eventually reproduce they rely on the wind to end the seeds to new territory. Took this image by the canal and as it was a little breezy the seed on the left just began its new journey.

View attachment 183881
Do you know what sort of thistle? Mike and I have been comparing the different sorts of thistles in our area. They have a unique beauty.

31st July - The Squabs are Growing!

Almost hanging out of their nest, the 2 squabs are sitting precariously. Now very few downy feathers and their colour patterning is beginning to show. Still not particularly pretty. Either the head must change shape or the beak must shrink as these don’t resemble the adults at all.

43D865C1-7972-4D3E-9E2D-126D590FF685.jpeg

1st August - New Trip
Decided to take another trip in the motorhome. Arrived in Sandringham, Norfolk today for the week. Good campsite on the Sandringham estate which we visited many years ago. Good for walking as all around us is woodland for the dog walks. The strange owl greets at the gate.
0D97AED1-8DF8-455B-92FF-BF62F202E6B0.jpeg
55045095-A641-4DCD-8A64-AE017E6D1396.jpeg

2nd August - Marran Grass

A lovely walk today along the beaches around. This was taken at Meacham beach. This is one of the beaches Norfolk Wildlife Trust have been sewing fresh grasses to improve the dunes as they were eroding too quickly. The Marran grass holds the sand in place and in years to come will help improve the ecology of the area.

C8A03ADA-3A4D-43D2-893B-A525D63169A5.jpeg

3rd August - Norfolk Lavender

Decided to visit Norfolk Lavender today. Somewhere I wanted to visit when we’ve been to this area before but didn’t get round to it. As you can imagine, the smell was divine wandering around. I was also very envious of all the different varieties, many of them I hadn’t seen pr heard of before. Spotted one that wasn‘t a lavender but a sage planet that was very pretty so that could be on my list for ordering for next year in the garden.
24D83F6A-CEFA-4C19-9899-44BAB590BA91.jpeg

4th August - Pooh’s Secret House
Todays walk around Sandringham woodlands was much nicer than yesterday. Weather better. Sunny but not humid so dogs didn’t mind walking further and in the woods it was much cooler. We also found hidden in the woods Pooh’s house - wonder how many children have found it!
0DC25F5D-0ADA-4AFA-9DE1-F35DD00086E5.jpeg

6th August - Goodbye Sandringham

Our last day on the campsite before going home. Spent the morning walking the grounds nearby. The woods are really lovely and were very peaceful until very loud shots from a shooting party spoilt the peace.
28125447-A829-4DBA-AD47-328239C6CC71.jpeg

8th August - Hibiscus
There are 3 large hibiscus bushes in the gravel garden which would have been my mum’s garden. Hibiscus were some of her favourite plants with their paper like flowers that are loved by bees. This year, they have grown bigger than ever and despite the heat there are hundreds of blooms.

8460DCED-E9FF-49BF-8F8E-E7049394F009.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom