Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

9th August - Hoverfly on Lavender

8F30B31C-15B4-41E1-A9E6-D353CEB00072.jpeg

10th August - Early Morning Walk
Another hot day looms so we are beginning to take the dogs out earlier and earlier. Todays walk round the wood was at 7.30 and it is amazing how the scenery seems to change. In the dappled sun through the trees, these spiders’ webs were being highlighted by the sun’s rays. An early sign of autumn?
625390EE-8ED3-489E-A7D9-3E5EF581EB78.jpeg

8th August - Hibiscus
There are 3 large hibiscus bushes in the gravel garden which would have been my mum’s garden. Hibiscus were some of her favourite plants with their paper like flowers that are loved by bees. This year, they have grown bigger than ever and despite the heat there are hundreds of blooms.

View attachment 184275
I love that little heart. What app was that Jan?

8th August - Hibiscus
There are 3 large hibiscus bushes in the gravel garden which would have been my mum’s garden. Hibiscus were some of her favourite plants with their paper like flowers that are loved by bees. This year, they have grown bigger than ever and despite the heat there are hundreds of blooms.

View attachment 184275
Jilly. The app was photocollage

12th August - Feels Like Autumn
on our usual woodland walk with the dogs - 7.30am so to miss the heat. The woods are just so quiet. No sound of birdsong and the trees and bushes are turning brown with the ground carpeted with crunchy dry leaves. Autumn’s come early.
F5A45144-7588-4CD2-85B2-564AD4807945.jpeg

14th August - Where’s the Pond?
This is usually a natural pond at the edge of the wood but now every bit of water has gone. I’m just wondering what happened to creatures who lived there. It was always full of tadpoles and newts in the spring and probably many other creatures that would have lived there. So sad to see.
2F1AE45B-22EE-4BB4-A740-EA69DF39A308.jpeg

August 17th - Rain at Last!
Finally last night we had rain! It was actually great to hear the rain battering the windows and getting up this morning seeing the ground wet and plants looking better. Hope we don‘t have to wait weeks before the next rain showers. Here’s one of the dahlias with the raindrops still on its’ petals.

82775A5C-0F05-4807-A305-738DD4A13900.jpeg

August 17th - Rain at Last!
Finally last night we had rain! It was actually great to hear the rain battering the windows and getting up this morning seeing the ground wet and plants looking better. Hope we don‘t have to wait weeks before the next rain showers. Here’s one of the dahlias with the raindrops still on its’ petals.

View attachment 184569
Congratulations! We thought wwe would get a well deserved rain here too, but we only got a few drops :oops:

19th July - Even Hotter!
Today was even hotter than yesterday and where we were concerned ourselves and the dogs cool, I think we may have forgotten about the creatures that were out in it all the time. Around 3pm today, I found this poor bee in the bathroom who was very drowsy and clearly struggling with the heat. Did my good deed and put a little bowl of sugar water on the window ledge and left it. Went back a little while later and it flying around quite happily. Left it in the bathroom and let it out in the evening when it was beginning to cool of - just 80’ instead of 103!

View attachment 183514
Commiserations :( Must be so uncomfortable for you. Here is Au we complain bitterly about temperatures over about 38C (>100F) and we’re used to it!

20th August - False Autumn
Scientists are calling the affect of the amount of leaves and trees changing early false autumn which has been brought on by the excessive heat we have experienced this year. It has meant that the trees have been pushed into survival mode with leaves changing colour and dropping as a sign of stress. The Woodland Trust have been monitoring this and think this is the worst for over 45 years when they recorded many trees losing leaves and some dying before they got enough water to carry on. Whereas many of the trees around were still in green leaf this birch really is struggling an looks more like the state it would be in during October.
148B10D2-646B-42F6-99A6-BA688BBB6979.jpeg

21st August - Not quite ready
Acorns are some of nature’s perfect forms with the small cup that the seed sits. Last year there were thousands of acorns but this year, I have noticed a serious lack of acorns whether it is because of the hot weather or just a poor year.
FC846635-5B17-407F-BA15-5D83C9F61DDA.jpeg

Last edited:
20th August - False Autumn
Scientists are calling the affect of the amount of leaves and trees changing early false autumn which has been brought on by the excessive heat we have experienced this year. It has meant that the trees have been pushed into survival mode with leaves changing colour and dropping as a sign of stress. The Woodland Trust have been monitoring this and think this is the worst for over 45 years when they recorded many trees losing leaves and some dying before they got enough water to carry on. Whereas many of the trees around were still in green leaf this birch really is struggling an looks more like the state it would be in during October.
View attachment 184677
I’ve only seen a few sign of this phenomena yet this summer, but the hot summer of 2018 (?) it was like that here too

21st August - Not quite ready
Acorns are some of nature’s perfect forms with the small cup that the seed sits. Last year there were thousands of acorns but this year, I have noticed a serious lack of acorns whether it is because of the hot weather or just a poor year.
View attachment 184678
How interesting, we have observed the opposite i.e. more than usual

22nd August - Back on the Road Again
Decided just two days ago to get away for a few days so not too far - just 65 miles from home in St.Neots Cambridgeshire. Lovely campsite, busy but plenty of room. Situated right by the River Ouse literally. We can walk out of the MH and by the river in less than 10 steps! Been for a walk this afternoon along the river then back across via a couple of bridges and over a bridge by this guillotine lock into the town and back to the campsite. Doggies very tired now and both sleeping.
296B1862-CCB7-42C3-8E96-94D31E9CE7F5.jpeg

22nd August - Back on the Road Again
Decided just two days ago to get away for a few days so not too far - just 65 miles from home in St.Neots Cambridgeshire. Lovely campsite, busy but plenty of room. Situated right by the River Ouse literally. We can walk out of the MH and by the river in less than 10 steps! Been for a walk this afternoon along the river then back across via a couple of bridges and over a bridge by this guillotine lock into the town and back to the campsite. Doggies very tired now and both sleeping.
View attachment 184713
Really envy your ability to just up sticks for a couple of days. That’s what I’d like to be able to do

23rd August - Wild Flower Corridor
Took a walk into town from the campsite and around the town park. Instead of the usual bedding plant borders around the edge of the park, there is now a fabulous corridor of wild flowers. Must be about 1/4 mile long. Going over a bit now, but still beautiful and buzzing with hoverflies and other pollinators. So much better than hundreds of begonias and geraniums and no wildlife.
3BCA31A0-478A-48A0-8285-239DEE7F72F6.jpeg

24th August - Watching the Wildlife
A very humid day today so the walk around Little Paxton Nature Reserve was littered with several extra stops for a break for the dogs who were suffering a little. They particularly enjoyed sitting watching the wildlife on the lake in this hide.
6D0F2319-FDDD-423E-B5FA-32B19E04266C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom