Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

30th September - Glider and Plane
During the walk today, we passed by the local Gliding club today as some of the planes were going up. Managed to catch one going up on the drag line. I have always wanted to go up in a glider. The closest to being a bird.
7CD441D7-C177-4CA1-A312-E0F3C5AD63A8.jpeg

29th September - Foxton Locks
Our walk today was from the village of Foxton along the canal and the famous flight of locks. It was a lovely day, perfect for a walk with beautiful scenery.

View attachment 186058
I am always so curious when I see your locks. They are so different from ours. Are those guys lock minders or are they just hanging out?

I am always so curious when I see your locks. They are so different from ours. Are those guys lock minders or are they just hanging out?
Hi. The guys are the lock keepers who were helping open the lock gates for a couple on the narrow boat. It was the middle of the week but there were many people moving up and down the flight of locks so I think the lock keepers were helping out to keep the boats moving.

1st October - A Piece of History
The last day of our little trip. Spent a bit of time at the museum near Foxton about the building of the canal and the lives of the navvies who built it with their bare hands. These trucks were used to move the earth pulled by ponies. The rails and wheels were changed later when the trucks were used to unload goods from the boats.

B667CFFD-6CB4-4412-A446-6623F6CAA213.jpeg

4th October - Last of the Cornflowers
On our usual walk today, sprouting out from the hedgerow was this beautiful blue cornflower. It is such a vibrant colour within the browns and dying plants it really shone out. Probably the last we will see this year.

BEA71C7A-5642-4F12-A6D0-AC5E070BD953.jpeg

5th October - Double Exposure
Had to be in all day as we had builder in repairing the roof so couldn’t do much. I was looking through the Jo Bradford Book on Snapseed and thought I’d try a multiple exposure using the Average Camera Pro app. Never used it before but think I might spend some time investigating it as was quite pleased with the shadow effect just two exposures gave.
C5DCC843-F1E1-41BC-92CF-ACCD2373FC4C.jpeg

6th October - Another Cactus Flower
This cactus has now bloomed 5 times this year. Seems to have got very confused. Most of the time it looks half dead due to its’ very wrinkly leaves. But I love it when it comes out as the colour really does brighten the room.
A0181C00-E642-4D4E-93B3-B190BEB5A330.jpeg

7th October - New Lock Gate

After complaining about the Canals and Waterways Trust not doing any work on our part of the canal, there is some work going via volunteers with Grantham Canal Society but they are at present only restoring the work between Woolsthorpe and Grantham as they were given grants by the council and by Belvoir Castle people who see it as a way of encouraging people in from the town to visit the castle and their recently opened retail park (very expensive!). We often walk this part of the canal and today the volunteers were replacing one of the lock gates. These are made of solid oak and as you can imagine weigh a considerable amount. Which beggars belief how they pit them in the first place by hand! As the last ones lasted over 200 years, let’s hope these last the same amount of time. I edited it in Snapseed and gave it a vintage feel.
75E5688E-ACEC-434B-9F90-DBC4333A45FB.jpeg

8th October - First Fire for the Autumn
First fire of the year. A bit chilly tonight so decided to use the log burner instead of the heating. As soon as we lit it Izzy decided that was her place and no one was getting a look in!
DD649929-C4C3-4109-A19E-602BB69E462C.jpeg

9th October - ‘The Twins’

A picture I’ve been working on today. It is of my mum and her twin brother John who if were alive today would be celebrating their 90th birthday together, but sadly we lost them since this photo 10 years ago at their 80th. It’s days like these when you realise how much you miss them.
62EDA30C-38CB-4F07-A0C4-7A06512B2B62.jpeg

10th October - Izzy being a Meerkat

Izzy often shows when she’s not happy with us. Stands up like a Meerkat and then stick her tongue out. Tried to capture it before but usually don‘t have my camera near but today success!

7D0EE611-C7DF-4DE1-8AF1-2E5EE2409C69.jpeg

12th October - Virginia Creeper

This year, the Virgina Creeper has grown exceptionally well and now as it is coming out in it’s beautiful Autumn colours it is stunning. This morning after a small shower it was glowing.
260F6DE4-F620-417F-A7D5-8453363E86DC.jpeg

14th October - Virginia Creeper Close-up
When the sun on it, I’ve been trying to take as many images of it as I can this year to make the most of the colours. And today, I noticed the berries that are becoming more and more prominent. Feast for the birds in the winter.
65794F7A-F0CF-4922-8FE1-7C8672AE13CF.jpeg

14th October - Virginia Creeper Close-up
When the sun on it, I’ve been trying to take as many images of it as I can this year to make the most of the colours. And today, I noticed the berries that are becoming more and more prominent. Feast for the birds in the winter.
View attachment 186619
:inlove: I miss Virginia Creeper! It grew all along my fence in New Jersey for 15 years and covered it in year-round beauty. I always loved the fall colors and berries.

Back
Top Bottom