Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

15th February - Frosty Woodlands
A very wet and windy day so am using a photo I took when we were away last weekend. On Sunday we visited Ostler’s Plantation near Woodhall Spa. A mixture of fir and native trees as well as lots of heathers. As we were walking around I got talking to another couple who were regular walkers there with their dog. They told us that you don’t bring dogs here between April and September as the woods have been recorded with the highest amount of Adders in the East of England. And their favourite areas are under the Heather bushes. So, if we visit again, we‘ll have to remember that. A pity as it’s a great doggy walking area!
View attachment 176892
We’ve been there when we stayed near Woodhall Spa. We stayed on a CL site that bordered the wood, so we could just walk straight into it. Did you notice some mounds that looked like fresh graves? We saw them all over the forest.

We’ve been there when we stayed near Woodhall Spa. We stayed on a CL site that bordered the wood, so we could just walk straight into it. Did you notice some mounds that looked like fresh graves? We saw them all over the forest.
The mounds were underground munition stores for the nearby RAF Woodhall Spa…….We have similar mounds here in the Vale near the Grantham Canal, also used as underground munition stores for the many RAF Stations based in Lincolnshire and Leicestershire.

Hi. Thanks for the comments on yesterdays image. The heathers were very large bushes. I expect they’ve been there for many years without a lot of pruning. I would love to see them all in bloom.

16th February - A Strange Door
Also at Ostler’s Plantation I spotted this. What seemed like a large ‘cat flap’ in the fencing between the plantation and the surrounding farmland. I assume it is for small mammals to be able to move between the area with fencing keeping out deer from damaging the young trees.
9634D9E6-29E1-482F-9535-83632F784876.jpeg

17th February - Reindeer Lichen
Another find at Ostler’s Plantation - `Reindeer Lichen’ or Cladonia portentsosa to give it it’s Latin name. A very strange looking lichen with almost finger and hand shaped petals And a lovely silvery grey colour.
2D5166E5-A515-41FF-8968-F55D1CE72EBF.jpeg

19th February - ‘I didn’t take it!’
Izzy has a knack of often getting Bertie into trouble by stealing things which Bertie will readily take away. Bit this time was caught with the offending item. The look says it all - Caught!
A3DEDFC2-E89A-4721-B16A-7C92A3D016DC.jpeg

Last edited:
21st February - Struggling to Fly
We waited until after lunch to take the dogs out as the wind was beginning to die down - or so we thought. It was very breezy still and the poor ducks on the canal were definitely struggling to get any height before they could have a fly around.
51A212AF-02FA-4963-89C5-DBF6EBCEAB90.jpeg

21st February - Struggling to Fly
We waited until after lunch to take the dogs out as the wind was beginning to die down - or so we thought. It was very breezy still and the poor ducks on the canal were definitely struggling to get any height before they could have a fly around.
View attachment 177096
Lots of water there Jan.

24th February - ICM Practice
I’ve been looking at some work by various photographers who produce more abstract images like in ICM (intentional camera movement).
Taking today‘s images, I decided to have a go at an ICM. I’ve added a thumbnail of the scene before the ICM. Post processing was completed in snapseed.
D860262B-37D7-4B9A-894C-578E00CE852D.jpeg

Attachments

• E8F5368D-E492-4ACB-948E-87AE25DA4B96.jpeg
    E8F5368D-E492-4ACB-948E-87AE25DA4B96.jpeg
    697 KB · Views: 2
I’ve been looking at some work by various photographers who produce more abstract images like in ICM (intentional camera movement).
Taking today‘s images, I decided to have a go at an ICM. I’ve added a thumbnail of the scene before the ICM. Post processing was completed in snapseed.
View attachment 177233
There’s been discussions about this on Mobitog, here:

There is some amazing images, information and inspiration in that thread!

Thanks for this. Have had a look and found it very useful. Will add a couple on that forum for comments.

View attachment 177233
Nice Image, did you achieve that by moving the camera or entirely post processing the attached thumbnail? Just curious :)

Back
Top Bottom