Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

22nd January - Swan Family
Today we saw this family of last years cygnets with one of the adults on the canal. It feels lovely to see the swans as, sadly, we have seen several dead lately, either through predation or by the avian fluenza that seems very prevalent this year in our area. It is believed to have come over with migratory birds that arrive in the autumn. I just hope the other adult has not lost its’ life.
906F63EE-999C-4B4E-B991-E415A86C1E96.jpeg

Today we saw this family of last years cygnets with one of the adults on the canal. It feels lovely to see the swans as, sadly, we have seen several dead lately, either through predation or by the avian fluenza that seems very prevalent this year in our area. It is believed to have come over with migratory birds that arrive in the autumn. I just hope the other adult has not lost its’ life.
View attachment 175853
Here’s hoping the other adult returns to the fold.

View attachment 175853
Ah, lovely. I’m going to miss being close to a canal. We have loads of swans on ours too. I always used to keep a bag of proper swan pellets in my car and haven’t done it for a while.

26th January - First of the Year
Bizarrely, one of my Narcisuss bulbs has decided to come up in the gravel and as we have a few days of sunny periods they have flowered 2 months early! I think it maybe because the bulb is under the gravel so probably it has kept the bulb warmer.
D9147B9B-16FB-43FC-8923-5A50FB6A3C01.jpeg

27th January - Barnacle Goose Visitor
Spotted this one goose on its’ own wandering around the farmland by the canal. It must have flown off course as not normally seen this far inland.
8A425F8B-97B4-49E2-A78F-23317C067800.jpeg

Last edited:
31sr January - The Last of the Rosehips
A couple of months ago the hedgerows were covered in all manner of berries, but now there just a few here and there as they’ve been eaten by the birds especially the migrant fieldfares.
C7BAAEA0-4F7A-4F63-9DAA-9B16AABE9CC7.jpeg

1st February - Ammunition Dumps
Alongside the canal by Redmile village is the old station area where there is a field that isn’t the usual flat farm fields. This has large mounds around which, during the Second World War the RAF buried ammunition here away from their base at Langar a few miles away. The ammunition is gone but the mounds remain to remind you of what was there in the past.
F925BC61-7296-4FC8-97F8-79BD001125B4.jpeg

Alongside the canal by Redmile village is the old station area where there is a field that isn’t the usual flat farm fields. This has large mounds around which, during the Second World War the RAF buried ammunition here away from their base at Langar a few miles away. The ammunition is gone but the mounds remain to remind you of what was there in the past. View attachment 176271
Interesting!

Alongside the canal by Redmile village is the old station area where there is a field that isn’t the usual flat farm fields. This has large mounds around which, during the Second World War the RAF buried ammunition here away from their base at Langar a few miles away. The ammunition is gone but the mounds remain to remind you of what was there in the past. View attachment 176271
How amazing.

Back
Top Bottom