Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

4th November - A Stranger on the Canal
Took the dogs on a walk with my friend and her dog at the canal at Hickling which has a basin. There’s always lots of ducks and swans but today a new duck was spotted. It looks like a very large Mallard, but after looking it up in Google, it looks like a duck called a Rouen which are bred for the food market. Looks like it must have escaped and joined the wild birds!
View attachment 187435
Yup, big duck!

5th November - Busy Day
I’ve been volunteering at a local charity shop and tearooms near the canal for over a year now and have been trained up as a relief manager so today was one of my ‘in charge’ days. Although the weather was lousy we were very busy, but the day was somewhat spoilt, depending upon your opinion by the Belvoir Hunt who decided to use our car park to go through Causing quite a bit of chaos as the hounds ran around the cars worrying other dog and car owners before the hunt caught them up who just rode through as nothing was wrong. I could have done without that to sort out! The local police officers came in after the commotion and I commented to them, but they just shrugged their shoulders and said because the car park is between farmland they can technically use it as a thoroughfare. Not a happy day.
Here’s a picture of the hunt I took as they rode off.
C1B73913-542C-4FD5-9287-805EEE878C27.jpeg

5th November - Busy Day
I’ve been volunteering at a local charity shop and tearooms near the canal for over a year now and have been trained up as a relief manager so today was one of my ‘in charge’ days. Although the weather was lousy we were very busy, but the day was somewhat spoilt, depending upon your opinion by the Belvoir Hunt who decided to use our car park to go through Causing quite a bit of chaos as the hounds ran around the cars worrying other dog and car owners before the hunt caught them up who just rode through as nothing was wrong. I could have done without that to sort out! The local police officers came in after the commotion and I commented to them, but they just shrugged their shoulders and said because the car park is between farmland they can technically use it as a thoroughfare. Not a happy day.
View attachment 187500
The spectacle of all of those horses and riders, dressed in their best, plus those enormous hounds is amazing. But when you think about it and know a bit about what goes on behind the scenes, it’s very disturbing. My brother might well have been amongst the riders, as he hunts with the Belvoir and the Pytchley, but when we’re together we don’t discuss it, for obvious reasons.:rolleyes:

5th November - Busy Day
View attachment 187500
Why do things always seem to go awry when one is in charge???

7th November - Fly Agaric

Took this a few days ago but have been playing around with it in Snapseed today as it was too wet to go out. I’ve learnt a trick about lighting the fungi when taking the image - use a torch to uplight it!
BA400B05-7A2F-45BE-A21C-516F77191C65.jpeg

7th November - Fly Agaric

Took this a few days ago but have been playing around with it in Snapseed today as it was too wet to go out. I’ve learnt a trick about lighting the fungi when taking the image - use a torch to uplight it!
View attachment 187530
Great shot :thumbs::clapping:I have a secret wish to try eating the red fly agaric. The poison isn’t deadly; in fact the vikings used it to get high and I think there are people who does that nowadays too.

8th November - On the Road Again

Chanced the weather to go away for a couple of days to re-visit something we did years ago - walk the Oxford Canal. Started by walking along the canal to the flight of locks at Napton on the Hill in Warwickshire.
BBB63DC2-BE35-4B90-B085-BEF73A4B7B81.jpeg

8th November - On the Road Again

Chanced the weather to go away for a couple of days to re-visit something we did years ago - walk the Oxford Canal. Started by walking along the canal to the flight of locks at Napton on the Hill in Warwickshire.
View attachment 187543
Are you going to walk the whole Canal?

9th November - Napton on the Hill
Started at the campsite at Wigrans which is near a lovely inland marina heading north along the canal for a while before detouring up from Napton village to the beautiful windmill on top of the hill. Now a very posh house and private grounds but worth a visit, before heading down through the old village back to the canal to finish by the Napton Junction bridge. Quite a long walk and whilst uploading this am surrounded by 2 very tired dogs.
063C0291-6FD7-498A-9F82-3285321ABC28.jpeg

9th November - Napton on the Hill
Started at the campsite at Wigrans which is near a lovely inland marina heading north along the canal for a while before detouring up from Napton village to the beautiful windmill on top of the hill. Now a very posh house and private grounds but worth a visit, before heading down through the old village back to the canal to finish by the Napton Junction bridge. Quite a long walk and whilst uploading this am surrounded by 2 very tired dogs.
View attachment 187562
Poor pups! Maybe get them a buggy sort of thing. I saw a guy in the grocery store today with a cat in a stroller! This image would look good in the BnW challenge.

10th November - Cygnet Play
Today’s walk began at the campsite at Wigrans then up the Grand Union heading to the village of Lower Shukburgh. A pretty grey windy day so canal views were bland as lack of interesting sky, etc, but along the way we came across a family of swans parents and four cygnets. Two the cygnets had found an apple bobbing in the water and spent a good five minutes fighting over it until it had been eaten. So engrossed were they in this endeavour, they didn’t see the rest of the family swim away and were quite a distance from them. So a fairly quick swim was the order of the day to catch up.

B0FBDE1D-5FEF-4576-8250-896E300088C1.jpeg

12th November - Jelly Ear Fungus
Spotted this today on the dog walk. First time found in the woods we usually walk. I think the name is quite appropriate. Taken using the Stage light facility in Portrait mode.
View attachment 187630
I wasn’t sure if I should say “cool” or “ewwww” about the name. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom