Jerry’s Catch-All

I presume, Jerry, you are paying for Midjourney? It doesn’t do a great job of translating images compared to Dream so for the moment I’m sticking with Dream and anyway Midjourney is just so expensive.
I am paying for MidJourney. And it is very expensive, so I try to get my money’s worth by adding images to my Song of the Day posts at enthusiasm noted. I just prefer the results of MidJourney.

As far as handling input images and adding a Dream-type style to them, I would agree Dream does that better. Sort of. But MidJourney can produce wonderful output from an input image. It may just come down to preferences.

Here I’ve got an input image of some stylized foliage on the top. On the bottom, I’ve used the prompt “wreath in the snow”; WomboDream on the left, MidJourney on the right. To me, I prefer MidJourney because it followed the prompt by shaping it into a wreath and kept the original colors. Dream substituted unasked-for Christmas colors and left the foliage loose.
39093A6B-85DE-4763-AC85-A7D75879F220.jpeg

I am paying for MidJourney. And it is very expensive, so I try to get my money’s worth by adding images to my Song of the Day posts at enthusiasm noted. I just prefer the results of MidJourney.

As far as handling input images and adding a Dream-type style to them, I would agree Dream does that better. Sort of. But MidJourney can produce wonderful output from an input image. It may just come down to preferences.

Here I’ve got an input image of some stylized foliage on the top. On the bottom, I’ve used the prompt “wreath in the snow”; WomboDream on the left, MidJourney on the right. To me, I prefer MidJourney because it followed the prompt by shaping it into a wreath and kept the original colors. Dream substituted unasked-for Christmas colors and left the foliage loose.
View attachment 188309
I have to say that the Midjourney result is pretty stunning and your Four Seasons epic. I mean I couldn’t even dream those ones up and I think that is what is so startling about AI Art. With no limitations like our own human experience or imagination it can go wild. It does make me feel ordinary art is now irrelevant. I feel like human art can no longer compete.

I haven’t got the best results out of Midjourney but I ran out of free time before I really got the hang of it.

I have to say that the Midjourney result is pretty stunning and your Four Seasons epic. I mean I couldn’t even dream those ones up and I think that is what is so startling about AI Art. With no limitations like our own human experience or imagination it can go wild. It does make me feel ordinary art is now irrelevant. I feel like human art can no longer compete.

I haven’t got the best results out of Midjourney but I ran out of free time before I really got the hang of it.
I think human art can not only compete; it is what can truly be considered art. Technique of the AI is outstanding, but the meaning isn’t there. If a human artist creates a nine-fingered hand, it has some sort of meaning to the artist and the viewer. If an AI creates one, it’s just bad code.

Here’s a terrific article about AI images that focuses on large-scale issues like human art vs. machine art in intention, and how AI trains us after we train it. A couple of quotes:

“But as I came back to the image and sat with it for a while, I found that my efforts to engage it at depth were thwarted. This happened when I began to inspect the image more closely. As I did so, my experience of the image began to devolve rather than deepen. When taken whole and at a glance, the image invited closer consideration, but it did not ultimately sustain or reward such attention.”

“I suppose, then, that these are the sorts of questions I have for us just now as we navigate the flood of machine-generated media: How will AI-generated images train our vision? What habit of attention does it encourage? What modes of engagement do they sustain?”

I think human art can not only compete; it is what can truly be considered art. Technique of the AI is outstanding, but the meaning isn’t there. If a human artist creates a nine-fingered hand, it has some sort of meaning to the artist and the viewer. If an AI creates one, it’s just bad code.

Here’s a terrific article about AI images that focuses on large-scale issues like human art vs. machine art in intention, and how AI trains us after we train it. A couple of quotes:

“But as I came back to the image and sat with it for a while, I found that my efforts to engage it at depth were thwarted. This happened when I began to inspect the image more closely. As I did so, my experience of the image began to devolve rather than deepen. When taken whole and at a glance, the image invited closer consideration, but it did not ultimately sustain or reward such attention.”

“I suppose, then, that these are the sorts of questions I have for us just now as we navigate the flood of machine-generated media: How will AI-generated images train our vision? What habit of attention does it encourage? What modes of engagement do they sustain?”

Interesting. Artists these days seem to get recognised the more outrageous they are. Are they truly feeling it from the heart? A snotty tissue hanging from a piece of string.

Does the writer above feel nothing because he thinks the machine feels nothing. If I told him a piece was by an artist, would he start questioning what the artist was trying to say. Your Four Seasons for example. If it had been done by an artist, I would think, oh, he/she is trying to depict our evolution from nature.

Just an aside, will artists start painting images from AI and quote them as their own ideas.

Apologies for putting internet images here but I want to prove a point. Is this AI or a real painting. If it’s AI does it have no meaning?

E6EA1B63-6B33-4320-BC35-628A139D327F.jpeg

Actually, it’s a real painting but it could be either. The painter was called Kunst? Maybe AI will actually stimulate our imagination to be more absurd or grotesque. Does that make it more understandable because it’s by an artist.

Edit: actually what I quite like about Jason Allen’s picture is that I can imagine the scene depicted there in my own way. Great fun.

Last edited:
ImageArt Ann, what I‘m trying to say is intention is a huge part of the equation. In my article years ago about digital art, I said that’s what it boils down to, what makes art special - intent. An AI has no intention. If that image you posted was a painting, then the artist intended to have sconces growing out of the girl’s back. That intention does not disappear because I don’t understand what Kunst means by it. An AI would produce it because a combination of the random noise it started with and the billions of images it was trained with and the prompt it was fed caused it to “see” something growing from the back.

And that brings us to the second point I pulled from the article - while we are training the AI, is it also training us? Even if we are using the output as an idea generator, could it be training us to see sconces from the back as meaningful and something we want to incorporate into our own works? I see a lot of prompt jockeys, full of their own “prowess” at writing prompts, who declaim that the output is EXACTLY what they imagined. Couldn’t they be convincing themselves after the fact?

I thought someone (or two) here might like to see this.

My major Christmas gift from my darling wife (thank you). The Complete Leonard Bernstein on Deutsche Grammophon. 121 CDs, 36 DVDs, and all nine Beethoven symphonies on Blu-Ray audio (which will, I suppose, play on a DVD player). Just…wow.

12EDEF88-8530-4932-AF5F-E4107FBEF8F0.jpeg

I thought someone (or two) here might like to see this.

My major Christmas gift from my darling wife (thank you). The Complete Leonard Bernstein on Deutsche Grammophon. 121 CDs, 36 DVDs, and all nine Beethoven symphonies on Blu-Ray audio (which will, I suppose, play on a DVD player). Just…wow.

View attachment 188501
That is quite a collection, Jerry! Mike got me socks. :lmao:

Teletubbies by Night

MidJourney, iColorama, VintageScene

It always amazes me how toddlers can choose to be entertained by the most soulless, dead-eyed creation, like the Teletubbies. Or Barney. Or Caillou.

CA273D66-D381-4172-95FB-D9736FB44DAC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom